Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Feature July 2014 - Electric Cabin Filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my car Monday and according to the DS she saw the electric cabin filter setting on the control screen a week ago for the first time. You can turn it on or off. Evidently all cars finished around the 4th of July or later have it.

Car came with version 5.12 software.

I dropped it off for Opti-coating right away so I haven't had a chance to read about it in the manual.

I picked up my car Monday and according to the DS she saw the electric cabin filter setting on the control screen a week ago for the first time. You can turn it on or off. Evidently all cars finished around the 4th of July or later have it.

Can you are a photo of your screen showing that new setting! This is the first I've heard about this.

And please let us know what your onscreen manual says about this new feature.

Edit: I found another older post about this at Ionizer?

Last edited:
so I would assume that this is a hardware upgrade included with 4/8 year maintenance?

Don't go there :)

LOL, good one. Honestly, I couldn't care less about the ionizer (just give us a HEPA filter), but given that attitude I'll probably get the ionizer and then Tesla will say "see, we do hardware upgrades as part of service!" And I'll roll my eyes and go, yeah nice try.

Perhaps this feature is more important in other markets. China for instance. Air quality in the major cities there is a problem.
And wasn't Tesla was criticized for not using HEPA filters like luxury models from other brands. Maybe this is their play to one-up them? Especially given the east's huge support of ionizers that began with the SARS outbreak. I think I'd rather have the HEPA filter, but maybe it was cheaper to add an ionizer than redesigning the climate control fans to push air through the finer filter.

I at one point bought an air purifier for the house and it came with a free in-fridge purifier. I rarely use the house purifier but continue to use the fridge one. For whatever reason when I put it in, it causes vegetation to start growing in the fridge (not joking, seriously). *shrug*