Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SurfSand resort Cannon Beach Oregon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We pulled in to the SurfSand resort in Cannon Beach Oregon yesterday after having driven from Redmond ( after a top up at the Centralia supercharger ). When we arrived, they were excited to see we had a Tesla and walked us over to show us the 2 new clipper creek chargers they had installed. They just finished installing them a couple days ago and we were going to be the first customers.
The parking spots were ICEd, but they told us they would call us when they opened up. This morning on our way back from breakfast, I noticed the spot was empty and they had put an orange cone there to block the spot for us. I was told to use the cone to reserve the spot if I leave, so it would be available when I got back.
There are two 208V 48A ( 60A rated ) clipper creek units. There is a circuit breaker inside the maintenance room that they had to flip on. They were super friendly and helpful, and said that soon the parking spots would be painted green and there would be signage, and that they had ordered a pair of no-trip runners to cover the cord on the sidewalk.

I had no idea this was even going to be an option, I had purchased a 50' 10 gauge extension cord, and was planning on charging at 12A 120V and limiting the driving from here.

So the SurfSand gets two big thumbs up ( the service has been fantastic, our 2 bedroom suite is very nice and we are enjoying the beach access ) and should be the Tesla owners destination of choice on the north Oregon coast.
surfsandcar.jpg
surfsandwall.jpg

Personally confirmed all the above facts from the original post. When I arrived, a very friendly staff member personally showed me to the charger, turned it on, set up the no-trip runners and then I plugged in the car.

I would recommend calling ahead so that the spot is reserved for you when you arrive, otherwise, there's a good chance all the spots will be ICE'd. As mentioned in the original post, these are 208V, 48 Amp charger units so you get 10 kW per hour. Charged from 10% to 90% in about 6 hours. Did a range charge in the morning in order to be able to make it down the coast -- Newport and then back to the supercharger at Woodburn.

Surfsand Resort and Strphanie Inn ready for Tesla owners

My name is Ryan Snyder, and we own and operate the Surfsand Resort and Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach. I am proud to share we recently completed the install of 5 additional Tesla chargers at the Surfsand and introduced chargers to the Strphanie Inn. We have additional chargers being installed at the Lumberyard Grill downtown and the Wayfarer Restaurant at mid town Cannon Beach. We look forward to your next visits. Cheers.

Thank you Ryan! You providing a place to plug in is a beacon to anyone with an EV looking for a great place to stay on the Oregon Coast. This puts you ahead of the competition in the area and shows you are a progressive forwarding looking businessman. Please make sure to update the locations at http://www.plugshare.com so other people will know they are available. Also be sure to clarify if these are more Clipper Creek J1772 stations or if they are Tesla High Power Wall Connectors so people will know what to expect.
Thank you for your support of EVs, we will definitely be visiting this year!

My name is Ryan Snyder, and we own and operate the Surfsand Resort and Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach. I am proud to share we recently completed the install of 5 additional Tesla chargers at the Surfsand and introduced chargers to the Strphanie Inn. We have additional chargers being installed at the Lumberyard Grill downtown and the Wayfarer Restaurant at mid town Cannon Beach. We look forward to your next visits. Cheers.

Sweet. Time to drive up the coast finally!

Wow... I missed Ryan's post in Jan.

When we stayed there last summer, I wasn't able to charge my last night there since 3 other Teslas arrived. Fortunately had enough to get back to a Supercharger, although I was driving in new territory for me, and had less buffer than I preferred. The extra chargers are awesome (and extra locations too!)

We stayed at the Surfsand last Feb. In addition to the 3 Tesla and 2 Clipper creek 80amp chargers shown above there are 2 more J1772 Clipper Creek chargers on the far side of the next building to the west. They are 207v 80a and the power switches are inside the building where the maintenance dept will turn them on for you. We checked and did not see a charger at the Stephanie Inn at that time but we have heard that there is now charging there too.

P1040221_T.png
IMG_0645_T.png

I am sure they are seeing the benefits of having charging available. My thanks to them.

Last edited:
I think there are also some chargers at the RV park across 101. You shouldn't have any problem finding charging in Cannon Beach!

Wow... I missed Ryan's post in Jan.

When we stayed there last summer, I wasn't able to charge my last night there since 3 other Teslas arrived. Fortunately had enough to get back to a Supercharger, although I was driving in new territory for me, and had less buffer than I preferred. The extra chargers are awesome (and extra locations too!)

I was just in Cannon Beach. I didn't see any HPWCs at the Lumberyard or Wayfarer restaurants, but I asked at the Wayfarer about plugging in and they told me it was no problem to plug in to an HPWC at the SurfSand across the street while we ate.

Good thing, because despite bringing our new CHAdeMO adapter, Aerovironment couldn't get their Cannon Beach charger to dispense a charge. We would have stayed at the Surfsand, but we had a certificate for another place that doesn't even have 110V outlets. Next time...