Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AAA and towing the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope I never need to be towed but would like to hear from anyone who has used AAA to tow their Model S. I have talked to AAA and they say they are capable of flat bedding the car, but wondering if it always better to call Tesla roadside assistance. It is time to renew my roadside assistance with AAA and since I do not need it for my ICE cars since I never drive them if it is not recommended by Tesla to use AAA i do not need the coverage.

I have kept AAA just for the hotel discounts and perhaps using it for the ICE. I'm on the cheapest plan.

Always better to call Tesla, they use the same drivers that AAA does in my hood.

I hope I never need to be towed but would like to hear from anyone who has used AAA to tow their Model S. I have talked to AAA and they say they are capable of flat bedding the car, but wondering if it always better to call Tesla roadside assistance. It is time to renew my roadside assistance with AAA and since I do not need it for my ICE cars since I never drive them if it is not recommended by Tesla to use AAA i do not need the coverage.

Depending on how far you need a tow, Tesla might be the better option. I think the lowest AAA membership includes, what, 8 miles? Tesla tows 50 at no cost. We had a flat on the 4th of July and every tire repair place was closed. Tesla offered to tow us the whole 70 miles home since they couldn't work out any better solution with it being a holiday. We didn't end up needing it. It was a slow leak and I was able to limp it home, but the offer was much appreciated. They were very clear that if we felt it was unsafe it wasn't a problem to come get us.

So there may be other benefits of calling Tesla first and using AAA as a backup.

Depending on how far you need a tow, Tesla might be the better option. I think the lowest AAA membership includes, what, 8 miles? Tesla tows 50 at no cost. We had a flat on the 4th of July and every tire repair place was closed. Tesla offered to tow us the whole 70 miles home since they couldn't work out any better solution with it being a holiday. We didn't end up needing it. It was a slow leak and I was able to limp it home, but the offer was much appreciated. They were very clear that if we felt it was unsafe it wasn't a problem to come get us.

So there may be other benefits of calling Tesla first and using AAA as a backup.
Thanks, that is my feeling as well.

If you get AAA, go with the highest tier. My wife and I pay ~$140/year and we each get one 200 mile tow and three 100 mile tows. Even if we only use it once every four years it's probably worthwhile, and I've used all my tows or almost all my tows in maybe two out of the past five years.

Not necessary if your Tesla is your primary vehicle and under warranty. Tesla will pick up for the tow charge.

My ICE fortunately after 7 years has never needed a toe. Where is the cross fingers icon?

If you get AAA, go with the highest tier. My wife and I pay ~$140/year and we each get one 200 mile tow and three 100 mile tows. Even if we only use it once every four years it's probably worthwhile, and I've used all my tows or almost all my tows in maybe two out of the past five years.