Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: AsiaSat 8 (Aug 5th)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Launch bumped back slightly to August 5th, with the Static Fire set for tomorrow July 31st.

Source: NSF mission update thread

-----

And the successful static fire took place yesterday: Falcon 9 conducts Static Fire test ahead of ASIASAT-8 mission | NASASpaceFlight.com

Article said:
With the required engine and vehicle data collected, detanking operations followed, before the rocket was lowered on to the Transporter Erector (TE) and rolled back to the hanger.

Once inside the barn, she will be mated with the satellite and fairing, both of which did not ride out to the pad for this test.

The satellite is currently encapsulated inside the Falcon 9 v1.1 fairing in the hangar.
Interesting -- sometimes the payload (whether it is Dragon or one or more satellites) is mated to the rocket during the static fire tests, and sometimes it's not.

Last edited:
still stuck at T-13:00

I missed what was to be the launch, and its just a silent screen with no information as to the delay....

edit: as I was talking they reported that the computer on one of the engines stopped them. They are reviewing the data to see why and if there is any reason they cant try again, hence the hold. They say there is no reason they cant go for it from a weather perspective. I'm up for another hour working on my computer, so we'll see if they go before I'm off to bed.

Voice over is saying they are recycling for a launch within the window.

Update: They are still evaluating and will decide in another 40 minutes or so. They have another hour or so after that in the launch window.

Last edited:
Well the latest on the webcast was that they are going for a second attempt, but it will be close to the end of the launch window. They've reset the clock to T-00:20:00, but haven't started the countdown and expected about 10 min ago that the analysis will take another ca 40 minutes so expect a decision within 30 minutes.

Launch was at 08:00 GMT. 4mins in, and looking good.

Really surprised to see them make this second launch, helped by the large launch window.

One of the local roadster owners living here in Hong Kong works for AsiaSat and joking mentioned that he was a customer for two of Elon's companies. Shame Solar City doesn't operate out here.

It's am impressive difference. Usually the first stage separates at T+00:02:30, but on this launch the burn lasted all the way to +3 minutes so indeed they had to burn up all the fuel and had nothing left for the slowdown burn. Also interesting was the new frame shown this launch for the second stage. Was that the propellant tank that showed the bubbling liquid?

Also, I've not heard twitter updates on the launch results etc. Usually Elon or SpaceX have tweeted about the results etc. Could it be the night time launch causing this? I seriously doubt Elon was asleep during the launch. Here's what NasaSpaceFlight has reported, but it looks like it's from factbook, not actually confirmed by SpaceX

The second stage’s first burn lasted five minutes and thirty-three seconds, with separation of the payload fairing occurring around a minute into the burn. At the end of the burn a 17-18 minute coast phase took place, before the second stage ignited for its second burn.
With a duration of about a minute, the second burn raised the orbit’s apogee to near-geosynchronous altitude. Five minutes after its conclusion the spacecraft separated into its deployment orbit.