Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tomorrow on Fox News... (kidding) Road Debris

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About midnight (time on camera is wrong), I came across a HUGE sewer grate plus lots of chainlink and metal coils strewn across roadway. Couldn't move it myself and knew it would lead to accident, so I called police. This is a busy road with many houses in neighborhoods along it-- not nearly as remote as it looks in the video.

Interestingly, no one who passed in the meantime so much as stopped to ask if I was okay or stranded (as I sat there about 15 minutes to keep THEM from having an accident). Oh well. Where's the neighborliness?? Police officer said grate was probably about 250-300 pounds and possibly stolen for scrap, no idea about the chainlink and other metal coils. Grate was probably about 3' x 4' and at least 4" thick.

Pretty sure some of them thought those tangled wires and big metal grate were parts of my Tesla that fell off. It was quite an impressive conglomeration of pseudo-wire/metallic debris. Anyway, I'm waiting for the news story... just one phone picture from the passersby and we've got a great story! Ha!

"Battery and high voltage cabling fall off Tesla in middle of road...."

072114 sewer grate in road.jpg

btw-- Camera started new clip that then got corrupted when I pulled the card out at my house (oops) so it ends abruptly after police arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not sure its fair to label Fox on the heading ... Maybe jalopnick or whatever its called.

Supposedly I'm in their target demo (conservative) and I work in journalism. I feel free to cast stones at them based on clear biases against Tesla where facts weren't allowed to get in the way of a sensational story. They aren't alone in their agenda BY FAR (less so since O'Reilly came out pro-Tesla), but they deserve the criticism in this case. None of the major news outlets are a beacon of truth.

BUT I DIGRESS....

On my morning walk, grate was still there.... still freakin' heavy. I'd tried to drag or lift it out the way but officer suggested heaving it end-over-end so it was never out of contact with the ground. DOH! I guess I could've done that on my own then.... oh well. Consider that a tip!

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

Since owning a Tesla I have lost interest in Car Talk because they only discuss ICE vehicles and it started to get old. And I had been a regular listener for many years. Great guys, but I decided it was time to move on and embrace the future.

TMC is the new Car Talk for me. :)

I missed so many shows they're always new to me... and it was the first thing that caught my eye that night.

A favorite (with kids in tow) is to simply say "Play Bill Cosby" and see what old recordings Serena pulls up. Gotta be fast on the skip button though-- sometimes Slacker mixes in the odd NON family friendly contemporary of his!

Kids love the Coz though.

Your dash has the energy graph displayed. I saw that on my initial test drive and have never seen it since. I have the trip meters there.
How do you get the chart up?
Thanks

Just push/hold the scrolling button on the steering wheel for whichever side you want to change-- like a second or so-- then scroll through the options and click the one you want. I got used to the energy meter being there because my friend JakeP always had his there... and now it seems weird to have it on the other side!

1. I'd hate to have been nearby if an ICE drove over some of that and had its fuel line or tank thereupon ruptured.

2. Neat road debris! I love snagging treasures like those. And Jenny's not divorced me, even once. Yet.

Just push/hold the scrolling button on the steering wheel for whichever side you want to change-- like a second or so-- then scroll through the options and click the one you want. I got used to the energy meter being there because my friend JakeP always had his there... and now it seems weird to have it on the other side!

Hi Newscutter
Thanks for the info. Mine doesn't work like that and the Owner's Manual makes no mention of the graph.
Fan, display brightness etc yes, but no graph. Hah.
Our VINs are not that far apart, I have the Techpack. Hah.
I'll ask around. Would it be OK to use a screen grab of your instrument panel for an example?
Thanks again,
~Larry