Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 X Nema 14-50 for Portable HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll start with this, "Hey Tesla, if you are listening, put two charge ports on all Teslas, or at least those with dual chargers!!!!"

Now that we have that out of the way, can those with knowledge of electrical systems weigh in on the idea of making a portable HPWC that could plug into two Nema 14-50s?

There is the Quick 220 for combining 2 110v's into one 220v line. If we would combine two Nema 14-50's into one 80 amp HPWC, we would have an HPWC at nearly all RV parks. Is such a concept workable? The outlets are really close to each other in most cases, the cords would not have to be that long.

This product could be part of an adapter assortment people could rent for road trips.

Please share your thoughts and thanks.

Edit: There are apps like The Ultimate US Public Campground Project and Allstays that have maps that are filterable by hookups. If each one of those sites was essentially an HPWC, it would REALLY open things up.

Last edited:
Can be done. It is unpredictable and is not the safest in the world. It explicitly violates code and comes with insurance and liability risk.

In a perfect world, it'll work when the resistances of both paths are the same (same wire type, circuit length, and path back to the transformer). In practice, this isn't always the case: two pedestals may use different paths back to the distribution transformer, or even different distribution transformers. This can create a current imbalance that can cause overheating or overload of one of the parallel paths.

In addition, without safety interlocks, this type of paralleling can create exposed 240VAC on plugs that are expected to be dead when unplugged. In practice, this is similar to the "suicide cords" we see people use for generators, with two male ends. They're called "suicide cords" for a reason. In others, as nwdiver mentions, it can create a dead short if the ungrounded conductors are mismatched.

Finally, there are some older infrastructure installations out there that won't sync up at all. These are becoming rarer with time, but you may find older 240V delta 3-phase configurations that won't phase-align at all.

I don't recommend this practice.

In life my simple rule of thumb is - Risk vs. Reward. This potential risk is NOT worth the reward. MOST commercial locations now use 3 phase 208. You will see a nice fire if you combine l1 l2 or l3 together! 30MiHr really isn't that slow. There are superchargers everywhere I need but San Diego and SLC UT.