Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to order Model S - 85, P85, or P85+ - and what options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure this has all been covered somewhere here in some fashion or another. I apologize if this is another one of those "what do I buy threads" - But I am new and potentially about to spend 120K on something I for sure don't NEED but on something I WANT.

I live in Southern California - I have solar installed - yet our family currently has our fair share of gas guzzlers - Yukon Denali XL, GMC Arcadia Denali, BMW M3, and Mini Cooper S. If I do this the Yukon XL is likely to be sold.

I have been researching the Model S now for a few months - and I am ready to pull the trigger. I have been to the showroom in Brea, CA and test driven the S 85.

For sure I want to get at least the S 85kw version.

In order of preference here is what I want to get. I would like to know if other owners can chime in / comment on these options and - as to what is a MUST - what is a WASTE - and what would be missed 3-4 years from now if I skip on them.

White Color - it is my favorite color.
P85 Performance Package- I have driven BMW 750LI, M3, and even a Backdraft Cobra (500hp in 2000lb car). So performance is important.
Tech Package - I think this is a MUST
Smart Air Suspension - I have an awkward driveway and some of my previous cars would bottom out. - So performance aside - I need it to raise up to prevent any bottoming out.

Options I have added - and how I ranked them - would like to delete some things if I won't regret it later.

Performance Plus + - I had not intended on getting this - but from user reviews I have found - it seems like this would be good for someone like me.
If I don't get the PLUS - I for sure won't get the 21" wheels, most likely just the 19" Cyclone.

Parking Sensors - I don't need it - but my wife will drive the car too - and she wants them.

Moon/Sun Roof - Originally I came in with the idea of getting the color matched top. I have had sun roofs in almost all my cars and rarely use them. But some point to this as a highlight of the car. Would I regret not getting this? Would it hurt
potential resale value 5-6 years from now?

Ultra High Fidelity Sound - my test drive was without the sound system - and the sound seemed sufficient for me. I auditioned the upgraded sound system in the showroom - I was not overly impressed. So I am not sure if I have experienced it in the right setting. $2500 is a lot to pay to get XM (which I like) The rest of the sound system I am not sure of.

Fog Lamps - don't know if I need them - but they are only $500 and seem "cool" - is this a value?

Lacewood Decor - $650 for some nice wood - granted I like the look - not sure it would be missed or is a value choice. The fear I have is that the piano black would show any scratches and fingerprints.

Premium Interior Lighting - Seems like early models all had this as a standard. I have seen some people complain that they were disappointed by how dark it is - and others say it won't be missed. $1000 is a lot to pay for some LED lights.

The Carbon Fiber and Red Brake Calipers are not important - but come with the P85 - so I won't delete them.

If I get everything listed - I am at 120K - Kinda more than I had expected when I jumped into this. But reading all the reviews here and all the "must haves" and "raves" about P version and the + version have really upped the price.

Will I regret any of this? I will regret not getting something (not sure what I have left out).

I appreciate any and all comments. Thank you.

Welcome. I noticed it is your first post.

I'll try and answer a few of your questions, and let the more experienced owners chime in also.
I have an 85 . Performance was not a huge factor for me, and I find the 85 to be plenty fast.
Things I considered a must are the tech package, and dual chargers.

I wish I had gotten the upgraded stereo package since I find the standard stereo option below par.
If I was to do it all over again, I would get parking sensors also.

I'm sure you will hear many different points of view. Whatever you choose, it will be the best car you will own.

@jesseasi, congrats on deciding to order! As far as options, everybody will have their opinions, and you can always find someone somewhere willing to argue each side of any decision.

In general I'd say the key is to prioritize the things about the car that excite you the most, and then see what options best realize that. I'd suggest writing down a list of adjectives and/or phrases that come into your head when thinking of buying the Model S and what you hope it'll do, then order them. Use that list to guide your thinking.

For example, some things that I valued and/or were excited by when considering what BEV to get: Long range driving, Gadget-y High Tech, Comfortable and smooth ride, good sound system for my long trips, spacious feeling, Good acceleration/handling, excellent all-season handling

Given that set of priorities I got:

S85, tech package, panoramic roof, upgraded sound, subzero package, parking sensors, smart air suspension. Notice performance was lower on my list, so no need for P or P+. Tech package was a MUST for me too given my love of gadgetry. I think you can see how most of the options were pretty obvious choices for me once I made my list of what mattered to me.

My recommendation is not so much to ask people what options are best etc, but to ask if a particular option successfully meets a particular need of yours. That's the best way to avoid letting the majority opinion sway you away from what's best FOR YOU. Almost all of us diverge from the majority somehow, so understand what YOU value and make sure the options are in line with that.

If you get the P85+, the tech package and the smart air suspension are required. So those options are set by definition. You can see from my signature what I decided to order. I spent a lot of time looking at all the options, including listening to the sound systems (particularly with FLAC encoded material), checking the interior light package in the dark, driving with and without the pano roof, performance versus standard 85, 21 inch wheels and 19 inch wheels, smart air and coils, alcantara versus standard headliner, etc. I never got to test a P85+, but I have to imagine it was amazing.

I didn't see much utility in the fog lights unless you really need them, and $500 didn't seem like a great value. The interior lighting package wasn't adding enough lighting for $1,000 (I might have considered it if offered great frunk and trunk and lighting, which it doesn't). I wasn't much for the wood trim options, but that's a very personal decision. Instead, I debated between the piano black and the carbon fiber, and decided the carbon fiber just wasn't compelling enough at $800. Parking sensors are a no brainer -- particularly on the resale end.

You didn't say whether you opted for a single or dual charger configuration. Of course, that choice is really dependent on need. Likewise, if you are in a cold weather climate, you might want the subzero package. I'm guessing rear facing seats and extended nappa leather are off the table as well.

It seems like pretty much everyone loves the car no matter which exact options they picked. Indeed, it is rare to find the exact same configuration even on a big forum like this, which is surprising and refreshing coming from a Lexus where practically every option is packaged in some way. Tesla's a la carte approach can be a bit overwhelming at times, but I think it benefits the buyer in the end.

If you get the P85+, the tech package and the smart air suspension are required. So those options are set by definition. You can see from my signature what I decided to order. I spent a lot of time looking at all the options, including listening to the sound systems (particularly with FLAC encoded material), checking the interior light package in the dark, driving with and without the pano roof, performance versus standard 85, 21 inch wheels and 19 inch wheels, smart air and coils, alcantara versus standard headliner, etc. I never got to test a P85+, but I have to imagine it was amazing.

I didn't see much utility in the fog lights unless you really need them, and $500 didn't seem like a great value. The interior lighting package wasn't adding enough lighting for $1,000 (I might have considered it if offered great frunk and trunk and lighting, which it doesn't). I wasn't much for the wood trim options, but that's a very personal decision. Instead, I debated between the piano black and the carbon fiber, and decided the carbon fiber just wasn't compelling enough at $800. Parking sensors are a no brainer -- particularly on the resale end.

You didn't say whether you opted for a single or dual charger configuration. Of course, that choice is really dependent on need. Likewise, if you are in a cold weather climate, you might want the subzero package. I'm guessing rear facing seats and extended nappa leather are off the table as well.

It seems like pretty much everyone loves the car no matter which exact options they picked. Indeed, it is rare to find the exact same configuration even on a big forum like this, which is surprising and refreshing coming from a Lexus where practically every option is packaged in some way. Tesla's a la carte approach can be a bit overwhelming at times, but I think it benefits the buyer in the end.

I live in southern California - so the cold weather package is not needed.

I don't think the Dual charger is needed for me. I don't have a long commute - in fact I work from home. So the car would be used for driving the kids to school, running errands and whatever social driving / local driving we do. We do make trips to Vegas and there is a superstation in Barstow on the way - so that would be an exciting trip at a some point. The rear facing seats seem a bit gimmicky. I can't imagine my 6 yr old would appreciate having to sit back there for along trip - and it is rare that I would have more than 5 passengers anyway. As for the nappa leather seats - I have not read up on that much. I am not really sure what the extra money gets you other than the colors piping you can see in the pictures.

Wow...you are going to get a lot of comments on this one! My advice is buy everything that you can comfortably (or reasonably) afford so you have no regrets later! :) To retrofit after purchase will be either impossible or prohibitively expensive. Also, try to catch a Tesla gathering near you, maybe at a Cars & Coffee or some Tesla-specific event. That way you can talk to owners directly and compare notes. Good luck!

If you like performance cars get the P85. You can always opt for more reasonably prices tires and rims later but can't add performance package later.

Piano black does show fingerprints easily.

Tech package is a must for me at least. Can probably skip fog lamps if you are looking to trim something. Pano roof is nice and adds headroom but could probably go as well if you don't think you'll use it.

I think these are the questions we all ask and figure someone else may have our answers .... personally, my wife said if I didn't get the P I would always second guess myself and I actually ordered before a test drive. I also thought what could be the biggest problem facing an electric car? Charging, even though there are SuperChargers, I figured for the $1500 how could you go wrong with dual chargers. I didn't get the P because I didn't want the air or 21" turbine wheels. I already have ordered my own wheels described in my signature. I ordered what I wanted and not thinking of resale. I love my cars after all and actually got sold my 2 all time favorites to make the Model S a reality (deal with the wife). A 62 this may be my last car with the constant upgrades, time will tell but I ordered for ME not the next guy.

My take on your order (you can see what I got in my signature):

P85 – Sounds like you made this decision already.
Tech Package – A must for me. Too many cool features to pass up.
Pano Roof – Very cool and I like the extra head room in the back.
Leather Seats – I got them but Textile seats get great reviews. Personal choice.
Wood Décor – Personal choice, I am happy with the Black.
Dual Chargers – Tough call, not sure you will ever need them but good insurance.
Air Suspension – Test drove a car with coil and liked it so that is what I ordered. The Tesla store talked me out of the Air.
Parking Sensors – No brainer.
Fog Lights – Why not.
Ultra High Fidelity Sound – Tough call went right to the last minute on this one. Would have got it for $1,500.
Extended Napa Leather Trim – Did not seem worth it.
Premium lighting - Did not seem worth it.
Subzero Weather – Not needed for me in southern Arizona.

I live in southern California - so the cold weather package is not needed.

I don't think the Dual charger is needed for me. I don't have a long commute - in fact I work from home. So the car would be used for driving the kids to school, running errands and whatever social driving / local driving we do. We do make trips to Vegas and there is a superstation in Barstow on the way - so that would be an exciting trip at a some point. The rear facing seats seem a bit gimmicky. I can't imagine my 6 yr old would appreciate having to sit back there for along trip - and it is rare that I would have more than 5 passengers anyway. As for the nappa leather seats - I have not read up on that much. I am not really sure what the extra money gets you other than the colors piping you can see in the pictures.

The Extended Nappa Leather is on the lower dash, door panels and airbag cover of the steering wheel. This is different from the performance leather seats versus the standard leather seats, which I think you are referring to (i.e., piping and alcantara inserts on the seats versus all leather and no piping). I don't think too many folks went for the extended leather.

FYI--I grew up in Southern California, but now I live near Jthompson who has commented in this thread. Indeed, Jthompson got me hooked on Tesla by giving me my first ride in one. So, of course, I blame him.:wink:

OK - kinda of turning the topic a bit from options to purchase thoughts......

I think if I do this - it is going to be a sticker price of 120K - 110K after my tax incentives.

What do people think about the resale value? I had a 2006 BMW 750LI fully loaded - that car new was 100K. I see that same car selling for 15-20K now with only 70,000 miles or so.

Do we expect the same with the Tesla Model S? Will these cars in 8 years only be worth 15-20K? How will the Model III affect the value of the model S?

I have owned many cars over the years - I always say "I am going to keep this car a long time!" - but a few years later.....things change. I sold my first M3 after 2 years. I sold my 750LI after 4 years. The car I have owned the longest is my Yukon Denali XL - 6 years now. I am telling myself I will keep this car for years and years. But I need to be more realistic.....

- - - Updated - - -

OK - kinda of turning the topic a bit from options to purchase thoughts......

I think if I do this - it is going to be a sticker price of 120K - 110K after my tax incentives.

What do people think about the resale value? I had a 2006 BMW 750LI fully loaded - that car new was 100K. I see that same car selling for 15-20K now with only 70,000 miles or so.

Do we expect the same with the Tesla Model S? Will these cars in 8 years only be worth 15-20K? How will the Model III affect the value of the model S?

I have owned many cars over the years - I always say "I am going to keep this car a long time!" - but a few years later.....things change. I sold my first M3 after 2 years. I sold my 750LI after 4 years. The car I have owned the longest is my Yukon Denali XL - 6 years now. I am telling myself I will keep this car for years and years. But I need to be more realistic.....

A little search here in the forums - and I can pretty much find the answer to my own questions. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/30983-Used-P85-pricing?highlight=depreciation

That thread makes me feel better about this purchase. I guess it is time to get that deposit setup.

Ok - went back to the Brea, CA store and made the decisions. How many hours can I go before changing my mind! I put the deposit down - so now it feels more locked in....but I know I can still modify my choices....

Here is what I went with - and my reasoning...

Pearl White - (they had a Pearl white there - to me it looks to have more "depth" and "richness" - plus I talked to a Tesla rep up in Palo Alto and they made the comment that he has heard some people say "The basic white looks like refrigerator white" - for me - nothing against the standard white - but I looked very closely at the Pearl - and I love it.

P85 - No Plus for me. The added initial cost and the need to replace the tires more often sorta made this decision. It was not easy to let go of the Plus - but in the end I think the Performance version should be more than enough fun.

No sunroof - I have not seen it mentioned here - but personally I don't think the sunroof looks good on the Model S - especially on the White body. On black it looks great. I know I lose some headroom - but I don't sit in the back and it is rare I would have tall people sitting back there.

19" Cyclone wheels - I like the 21" but I hate buying new tires every 18 months. To me the standard 19" look like BMW 2 spoke - and I have had enough BMW's.

Tan Interior - I lamented over this for days. Originally I wanted Gray - but the Tan seems to have a richer look and the contrast is nice. My BMW 750 had gray and it looked old and tired very quickly. So Tan it is.

I opted for:
Tech Package - does not seem like anyone skips this.
Air Suspension - My driveway has a dip where some of my cars (Mini Cooper / M3 can bottom out - hopefully I can "raise up" when coming home)
Parking Sensors
Interior Lighting - seems like a lot to pay to have some lighting - but since no Plus version I could spend a little in options.
Fog Lights - $500 - why not.
Upgraded Sound - In case anyone else agonizes over this - I listen to mostly talk radio - I quickly got over the lack of XM on the standard unit - but boy - listening to music really put a smile on my face. For the times I do want to play music - get the upgraded sound.

Now I guess all I need to do is click "Confirm Now" or wait till August 5th where it will confirm automatically. Will clicking Confirm now speed up the process? Shows October Delivery.....

And thank you to everyone that replied to my posts - it was a great help in making my decisions.

This should be fun!

Last edited:
It sounds like you did a good job thinking carefully about your options Jesse, well done!

And, yes, confirming earlier will speed things up. (When I initially placed my order it said Late September, and when I confirmed only 2 days after my order it switched to September)

Good luck and welcome to The Wait!

Good choices. I have a similar P85 and ended up getting pretty much every option available. The only item I probably wouldn't get if I had to do it over is the yacht floor insert. Definite yes on the tech, air suspension, and parking sensors. The panoroof does add quite a big of head room and makes the car seem more roomy during the daytime, and it just seems odd to have a $100,000+ car without a moonroof. I really like the upgraded sound system.