Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to easily get bugs off paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this has already been answered or not, but I'm having a hard time getting the dead bug marks off the paint armor part of my car. I wash with Griots soap & sheepskin mitt. This alone isn't getting the marks off-even with some elbow grease. Anybody find a product that works?

I just drench the area in waterless wash, keep it wet for half an hour (reapply as necessary), and then just wipe off the bugs with microfiber. They come off really easily after a good soak. I have CQuartz Finest on my car, so that might make a difference.

Basically:

- Fresh is best. Carry a bottle of paint armour cleaner and use it after every infestation.
- Clay bars are not good for paint armour (that's what I was told by the installer).
- Soaking helps, so go around first and spray them, and then go back, spray again, and wipe off. Sometimes several cycles are needed.
- Keep the paint armour sealed with the product made for your particular paint armour. That helps keep the bugs from sticking.

To get current bugs off, simply wash it and gently rub a little more where bugs are.

To prevent future bugs sticking, put on a quality wax or nano coating. The simplest thing to do is use CQuartz Relaod 1x-2x per month. Wash and dry as usual. Then apply reload like you would a spray wax. A little of the stuff goes a long way.

This should help make things a lot easier.

Wet a microfiber cloth in a bucket of hot water. Fold into quarters and lay the wet cloth over the bug splat. Give it a minute or two and the bug splat will come off without scrubbing. This re hydrates the bug juice and makes it wipe right off.

Works great with Florida's love bugs.

Exactly how Bob Hodgen explained it..You MUST rehydrate the bug splatter do reduce the need of scrubbing the surface, eliminating the risk of introducing scratches to the paintwork. Hot or warm water are key (whenever possible)

I have a pilot friend who uses the wet cloth technique on his Beechcraft Debonaire's plastic windshield. He just soaks a bath towel in warm soapy water and lays it over his windshield (and elsewhere as needed) for about 20 minutes. Bugs come right off.

Last edited: