Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How has Model S changed since the debut?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whether software or hardware, have the Model S models (sorry...) received any significant changes? (I only know of titanium upgrade)
I guess what I'm wondering is, traditional cars are 'upgraded' from one year to the next and I would like to know if 2014 model is different from 2015.
If there aren't any significant hardware changes and if firmware can be upgraded, what's the difference in models??

The Model S is continually upgraded. Tesla doesn't wait for an arbitrary model year to do so. In other words, a car built in July won't be the exact same car as one built in June. Many of the upgrades are subtle, or something that you wouldn't realize without checking the difference in the individual component part numbers. Example: A battery vs. the current D battery.

Using terms like 2013 vs. 2014 doesn't have a great deal of meaning when upgrades happen more frequently. The only significance is the year in which the car were made.

Small changes such as the removal of the spring loaded supports within the cup holders and the loss of the chrome on the inserts on the trunk edge.

At TMC Connect, we found insulation in the front fender during an accessory install in one car with VIN 4xxx that wasn't present in later builds or an earlier Sig edition.

I don't know much about the subtleties of manufacturing, but what little I know says that Tesla is breaking the golden rule of mass production. Ie. once you have a good enough product, stop changes and replicate.

In a way, Apple, DirecTV and others have been doing this for years. IPads get refreshes, but Apple declines to change the model name. The implication being that while it is built differently, it has similar functionality. This actually isn't true for either Apple devices or DirecTV receivers, yet they do it anyways.

Now Tesla has a much better claim that while potentially each car is different, the major specs do in fact remain the same.

But here are some examples of things that have likely been upgraded since the sig cars:

- antenna placement and sensitivity for Bluetooth, radio, wifi, etc.
- suspension upgrades
- tons of squeak and rattle improvements
- pano roof fixes
- seats and upholstery
- in car charger design changes

And much, much more. The thing that sets Tesla apart is that when you bring your car in for a 12k service, they will often upgrade some of these things for free. And if you have a particular issue (like bad Bluetooth), they'll apply the latest fix.

The bottom line is that you don't have to worry about not getting the latest tweaks with a Model S. I have a fairly early vin 58xx, and I'm pleased as punch with the car and the warranty fixes Tesla has done for me.

I guess what I'm wondering is, traditional cars are 'upgraded' from one year to the next and I would like to know if 2014 model is different from 2015.
If there aren't any significant hardware changes and if firmware can be upgraded, what's the difference in models??

There is no such thing as a 2013 or 2014 "model year" Tesla. The company doesn't work that way. They are all simply "Model S" cars. Changes are implemented as they are ready for production. There have been many changes made to the S since production began.

I noticed that later models have air vents where the front window meets the dash. It makes a big difference in circulation - I drove a loaner recently and noticed it quickly. I like the unbroken smooth look of mine but the extra vents are really an improvement (particularly in reduced noise when AC is on max).

The bottom line is that you don't have to worry about not getting the latest tweaks with a Model S. I have a fairly early vin 58xx, and I'm pleased as punch with the car and the warranty fixes Tesla has done for me.

That's really great to hear! I was afraid that any older models are neglected when it comes to hardware upgrades, unless it's a big problem and requires a recall.

I think some clarification is needed: there have been a number of options added over the past year that are very expensive to have added to a car that was produced before those options were made available. Examples are Parking Sensors and Folding Mirrors. And I am sure that when possible future options such as (speculating here) Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assist and Blind Spot Detection available it will cost much more to add them to an existing car then to order them with a new car.

I would also not assume that any future hardware upgrade will be possible to retrofit to cars made before the upgrade was available.

My car was manufactured in mid June of this year, VIN 424xx and has two features that I had not seen on previous cars: kangaroo pouch on passenger seat as well as driver's seat, and pano roof center bar covered in headliner material rather than black plastic. They continually make little tweaks like this and don't announce them.

What is the difference, and how can you tell which you have?

The difference (at least between and A and B battery) is how fast you can charge at a Supercharger. A packs are limited to 90 kW. You can tell by looking at the number on the pack. You can see this by raising the car up (assuming you have air suspension) and looking at the front of the pack from the passenger's side wheel well. The part number will end with A, B, or D (I don't think anyone has seen a C--at least it's never been posted).

My car was manufactured in mid June of this year, VIN 424xx and has two features that I had not seen on previous cars: kangaroo pouch on passenger seat as well as driver's seat, and pano roof center bar covered in headliner material rather than black plastic. They continually make little tweaks like this and don't announce them.

I think the headliner cover on the pano bar only applies with the Alcantara option (one reason I went with it :biggrin:).

You also asked about what has changed in the software. For a fairly comprehensive list of changes, take a look at the software change log on the wiki:

Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

- - - Updated - - -

You also asked about what has changed in the software. For a fairly comprehensive list of changes, take a look at the software change log on the wiki:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showwiki.php?title=Model+S+software+firmware+changelog

The difference (at least between and A and B battery) is how fast you can charge at a Supercharger. A packs are limited to 90 kW. You can tell by looking at the number on the pack. You can see this by raising the car up (assuming you have air suspension) and looking at the front of the pack from the passenger's side wheel well. The part number will end with A, B, or D (I don't think anyone has seen a C--at least it's never been posted).

It would be nice if, when telling people there is a difference, that you might also mention that the charge times are only about 5 minutes difference between A and B packs. The A pack only charges at 90 kW, but stays near that rate far longer than the B pack stays at its rate of 120 kW, and both packs slowly ramp down charge rate, the B pack more quickly. The B pack may be the star, for all we know, but we don't know about longevity and degeneration.

Does anyone know the difference between the A, B, and the D?

It would be nice if, when telling people there is a difference, that you might also mention that the charge times are only about 5 minutes difference between A and B packs. The A pack only charges at 90 kW, but stays near that rate far longer than the B pack stays at its rate of 120 kW, and both packs slowly ramp down charge rate, the B pack more quickly. The B pack may be the star, for all we know, but we don't know about longevity and degeneration.

Does anyone know the difference between the A, B, and the D?

As of right now there has not been a spotted difference between the B and D packs. Both as far as has been spotted are able to hit 135kW (note not too many superchargers have been bumped up to 135).

There many be some future power output change that the B packs are unable to hit, but for now, there is no difference.

At this point, the major difference in model years is represented by different financing interest rates and insurance premiums. USAA, for one, has different rates for the MY 12 and MY 13.

Really? I am with USAA. Took delivery 12-21-13. Did rates go up or down for 2013?

I don't understand why rates would change with the calendar year. The cars are essentially the same.