Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla pack being re-purposed in a eSamba

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we've found where all the surplus RAV4 EV batteries are going. Odd to see them being hacked up like that, especially with that big slotted screwdriver!

I don't believe that was a RAV4-EV pack he opened at the end. Here are photos of RAV4-EV cross section.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum View topic - Bigger Battery Pack

The pack was the wrong physical size.

The sheets he was tearing apart also looked wrong:

Inside the Tesla battery pack

I'm inclined to to think that they from a Roadster pack. The size and shape seem of the pack seems to be a better match.

It was interesting that he alluded to more modules being available soon, I wonder if that will be from "upgrade" is going to be offered for the Roadster.

arnold

Roadster pack being re-purposed in a eSamba

The narrator of that video seems to believe the pack is from a Roadster and talks about how many more are going to be available soon, a possible reference to Roadster owners upgrading to the coming new battery pack and old packs being available. But it is not yet known what Tesla will be doing with the old Roadster packs. I doubt they will be selling them.

The pack shown has Tesla labels on it. Whether it is from a RAV4 or a Roadster I can't say.

Those are definitely not from the roadster. They look like they came from some of the experimental vehicles that tesla has built like the first Rav4 EV's with the Roadster motor/PEM, or the first B-class EV prototypes. They might be from the early Smarts, but there were so few of those made, I haven't actually seen one in the real world.

Here is a pic of the packs I'm talking about. It's a modular design, that was mainly used in ICE conversions.

image.jpg

In the video he said the original vehicle had 6 modules for a total of about 16kWh...
Did a quick search, and it appears that these are indeed the Smart packs, which were rated for 14kwh. Daimler leased them, so it would make sense that they are going to be repurposed into something else, instead of having to support 2300 oddball vehicles. It also makes sense, since the video includes the fact that more of these are going to be available to purchase soon.

Smart electric drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

image.jpg

Those are definitely not from the roadster. They look like they came from some of the experimental vehicles that tesla has built like the first Rav4 EV's with the Roadster motor/PEM, or the first B-class EV prototypes. They might be from the early Smarts, but there were so few of those made, I haven't actually seen one in the real world.

Here is a pic of the packs I'm talking about. It's a modular design, that was mainly used in ICE conversions.

View attachment 54271
This is a front wheel driven car. My guess the B from Mercedes....

Insights into Teslas battery pack

for those who are interested a bit more in Teslas battery pack technology

Real Tesla Batteries - eSamba EP 35 - YouTube

I love the scenes when they can't manage to extract the cells out of the pack because it is build too solid ;-)

Also interesting what he says about Tesla module availability. Does anyone know more about Teslas plans to sell their modules to customers other than big car manufacturers like Mercedes, Toyota, BMW etc. ?

Last edited: