Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Army of supercharger employees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to structure their Supercharger organization so that there are three teams to focus on where to install SC. One group to focus on making deals with national chains like Marriott Hilton McDonalds Chilis to install SC IN THEIR LOTS. second a group to focus on the interstate system and installing SC at every rest stop. Third to work with municipalities to build the inner city infrastructure to have SC parking spots on every block (eventually).
To do this Tesla would have to create a huge staff and really hustle to work with local govts to expedite the approval process.

the key to mass adoption of EV isn't primarily the cost of the vehicle. It's the ability to easily and quickly recharge that will enable the purchases of EVs take off and overtake the ICE.

I think national banking institutions would be wise to invest in superchargers and that would give the banks the potential of bringing in wealthy enough clientele. Doesn't seem like Tesla is targeting entire chains and seem to be throwing dots on a map for which spots would make the math work out for road trips while staying relatively on course and near freeway exits. While imperfect, a supercharger at certain Chase or BofA locations would still give plenty of options and would be mutually beneficial.

Amenity wise, while I'd be happy with the security/cameras/lighting of a bank's parking lot, I can't say I love the idea of sitting at a bank for an hour. I think Starbuck and Denny's/IHOP/24/7 diners would make a great fit. It's a way for people to charge and kill time. I can't quite see an army of Teslas at McDonalds and I don't think it would benefit fast food chains enough to justify exchanging potentially $8 of electricity for $4 of food, whereas a coffee shop or diner could make that exchange slightly more feasible. Also, SBUX and diner locations are generally perfectly positioned at rest stops for road trips.

As for building out infrastructure, I can't see governments really pushing the infrastructure forward in the US. Maybe in California and whichever state Tesla chooses to build it's battery plant, but it just doesn't seem efficient either. The point of a supercharger is a quick charge while on your way to a destination. A supercharger at every corner is like saying you're going to skip charging at home and instead go charge at the equivalent of a gas station down the street. I have to disagree here.

-racceye

Does anyone know if the supercharger network can be built or added to by individuals who want to open a supercharger station as a franchise? Say there was land for sale in the centre of a town without a supercharger, and we wanted to make the investment in putting a supercharger there.
This could be a good way of expanding the network, similar to the way McDonald's has.
Thanks to all

I think national banking institutions would be wise to invest in superchargers and that would give the banks the potential of bringing in wealthy enough clientele.

Around here, bank parking lots are fairly small, SC spots would be ICEd 99% of the time. Also they aren't near anything other than the bank, and it's seldom that you stay at a bank for more than a few minutes. (If the bank is in a shopping mall, that would be different, but then you'd negotiate with the shopping mall, not the bank).

I really think you guys are all missing the point of the SC network. This technology is really appropriate for road trips outside of your home area, while traveling from place to place. Charging in your home sera is most effectively accomplished at home with a NRMA 14-50 or HPWC.

That being said it is important for a infrastructure of charging stations to be built up for destination charging. This would include charging at hotels, amusement parks, ski areas etc. this includes any place that one might travel at a distance greater than 50% of your comfortable range where you would typically spend several hours.

SC's at banks or other "local" locations are not a good use of resources and would only serve to encourage daily use rather than periodic use for travel which would cause an artificial over crowding of this resource.

Tesla needs to structure their Supercharger organization so that there are three teams to focus on where to install SC. One group to focus on making deals with national chains like Marriott Hilton McDonalds Chilis to install SC IN THEIR LOTS. second a group to focus on the interstate system and installing SC at every rest stop. Third to work with municipalities to build the inner city infrastructure to have SC parking spots on every block (eventually).
To do this Tesla would have to create a huge staff and really hustle to work with local govts to expedite the approval process.

the key to mass adoption of EV isn't primarily the cost of the vehicle. It's the ability to easily and quickly recharge that will enable the purchases of EVs take off and overtake the ICE.

It might even save McDonalds from their terrible slump in sales and image.

Tesla does have a program in place where they will donate or discount a HPWC to a company that wants to offer this to its customers. Good thing is you can even submit the form as a Tesla owner. As mentioned, they are focusing on hotels, resorts, etc. https://teslafactory.wufoo.com/forms/q7b8imo1g0og2v/

I think HPWC's would be all that is needed within the city, as superchargers are meant for long distance travel.

Tesla does have a program in place where they will donate or discount a HPWC to a company that wants to offer this to its customers. Good thing is you can even submit the form as a Tesla owner. As mentioned, they are focusing on hotels, resorts, etc. https://teslafactory.wufoo.com/forms/q7b8imo1g0og2v/

I think HPWC's would be all that is needed within the city, as superchargers are meant for long distance travel.

I agree. Notice that SC locations are rarely right in a metro area. They are between metro areas along heavily traveled routes to facilitate long range driving, not so freeloaders can charge at no cost all the time. However, HPWC' s put in destinations by business to attract visitors/customers is a smart thing for them to do.

At this point it is too early in the EV adoption cycle for it to be a wise use of Tesla's limited resources to take all the steps you advocate, in my opinion. I think their current plan is sound: focus on making interstate highway travel as easy as possible given the current limit (bad pun) on Supercharging speed while offering free HPWCs to destinations that are interested. But there are still relatively few Teslas on the road and most destination sites aren't seeing enough demand to warrant investing even a small amount of money in connecting up an HPWC.

I am encouraged by Elon's recent shift in Supercharger strategy towards the understanding that they are in fact needed to some extent in cities where many residents lack their own dedicated parking space and the capability of providing power to where they park their vehicle. But that doesn't mean we need "SC parking spots on every block". We need landlords, condo associations, and local governments to understand the need for L2 chargers.

I agree.

Tesla needs to structure their Supercharger organization so that there are three teams to focus on where to install SC. One group to focus on making deals with national chains like Marriott Hilton McDonalds Chilis to install SC IN THEIR LOTS.

They just look for good locations with good deals, but there are practical electrical infrastructural issues. There are some companies they work with to have multiple installations.

second a group to focus on the interstate system and installing SC at every rest stop.

No, they just need SC locations.

Third to work with municipalities to build the inner city infrastructure to have SC parking spots on every block (eventually).

No. SCs are best done for OTR charging. If there is charging on every block in cities it justs needs to be 240V charging for overnight use. Urban SCs are a short term thing. This doesn't need to have a large staff and it's not just a Tesla thing. If there's a volume PEV market, government wants it and the local electricity utility wants it, charge-where-you-park-it will happen and could happen very quickly. In terms of speed and extent think a little longer than fiber rollout.

Charging will be easiest when you can do it while your car is parked while you sleep. The majority of people in the USA have off-street parking available and there are sizable cities where when it's not available people don't necessarily have a car.

Hi Racceye,
you make lots of good points and thanks for your input.

For people like me who live in a city and can't home charge bc we have no garage and park on the street ubiquitous SC is necessary.

im confident the future will have easy access to SC. I just want that future to be here now and not 8 years from now.

Hi Racceye,

For people like me who live in a city and can't home charge bc we have no garage and park on the street ubiquitous SC is necessary.

im confident the future will have easy access to SC. I just want that future to be here now and not 8 years from now.

I would like to be confident that in the future, apartment and condo renters would have access to nearby 14-50 outlets just like those of us with a garage or personal driveway / carport. As Electric Cars get to be more mainstream, here's hoping that old thinking gets upgraded before the need to put superchargers on every corner. Home charging is MUCH easier that trying to plan driving to the nearest Supercharger!!!!

Hi Racceye,

I'm just wondering out loud here....What incentive is there for an urban owner such as yourself NOT to use the slot of an SpC as a hyperconvenient overnight parking site....to the hyperannoyance of someone who needs to go there to charge once you're filled up?

I'm just wondering out loud here....What incentive is there for an urban owner such as yourself NOT to use the slot of an SpC as a hyperconvenient overnight parking site....to the hyperannoyance of someone who needs to go there to charge once you're filled up?

Maybe because he lives in NYC, where people are not shy about communicating their displeasure?

Thanks Durban. Love the topic of conversation.

This is kind of straying off a bit, but I think that one of the major fears of people who don't drive EVs is the thought of running out of juice and sitting by the side of the road waiting for a tow to the nearest charger.

Maybe if Tesla could build a lightweight mobile (super)charger good enough for a fast 8-10 kW charge (equivalent of 1 gallon of gas), there wouldn't be that excuse anymore. It would also give other EV automakers (i.e. Nissan, Mitsubishi, BMW) more incentives to start incorporating Tesla tech into their cars.

Yes, I believe that AAA are getting mobile chargers.

-Along the lines of Racceye , I would like to see a power transfer option between Tesla's. So if I'm driving down the road, and see a stranded Tesla needing a charge, I could give him some electricity from my battery pack. (The cable would be 2 female UMC connectors ).

Hi Racceye,

In Amsterdam (The Netherlands) there are many on-street charging points such as this one being used by a Roadster. At the time, I was more interested in the Roadster than in the charging infrastructure, so I can't provide you with additional information. Although I said hello to the owner, I'm not sure if he lived in the building, or was helping with a renovation.

If a city can put in a ticket spitting parking meter, there is no technical reason that charge points can't be installed. It's really just a matter of demand out here in the wilderness of North America.
IMG_3581.JPG