Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trans Sierra Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cpa

May 17, 2014
Central Valley
I decided to take a few days and drive across and through the Sierra off the Supercharger Highway. I drove Interstate 5 and utilized the SCs up to Mt. Shasta City. I then took SR89 east from Interstate 5. Max charged at Mt. Shasta City to 267 and arrived in Quincy at Pioneer RV Park with 102 rated miles remaining. I drove about 3 MPH beneath the speed limit the first 2/3 of the journey just to be safe.

At Pioneer RV Park I hooked up at a 14-50 plug for about 75 minutes to add 34 miles of range in order to make Grass Valley. The owner of Pioneer RV has a Roadster charger, so if you own the roadster/Model S adapter, you can charge there instead. He charged me $1.30 for nine kWh.

At Grass Valley I charged at the Community College. They have 4 Level 2 charging stations at about 196 volts. There is no need to purchase a parking pass if charging. The gates close at 11PM Monday through Thursday; 4PM on Fridays. You can charge overnight, but must contact security to allow the overnight charge. Charging via ChargePoint was free.

Since the Truckee Supercharger is not up yet, I charged at the Incline Village Country Club 70A charger. Another free ChargePoint charging station, although I understand that this period of free charging is limited--they may start assessing a fee in another couple of years.

I then made it to Bridgeport, California to the Bridgeport Marina and RV Park. I rented an overnight spot and charged to 244 range miles while sleeping outdoors. I was just charged for the camp site, and not the electricity. I was the first EV to charge there.

I took Sonora Pass (SR108) home to Fresno the next day, and arrived with 81 rated miles, driving the speed limit.

To go from the Eastern Sierra to the proposed Manteca Supercharger should not be a problem with 225+ rated miles in the battery.

Just thought I would pass this along for those who enjoy the Eastern Sierra! Fun trip!