Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raffle at www.FREE-ROADSTER.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could not find the name of the charitable organization that will benefit from this raffle.

To me it looks more like this:

1. Buy a Roadster for EUR 120k.
2. Sell 11500 "raffle" tickets at EUR 25 each.
3. Pocket the EUR 167k profit.
4. Perhaps repeat from 1 until no more suckers left.

Well, I accept critiques, but it should be fair. Please READ the web before judging! We are selling an item there! However we handout the raffle tickets as an EXTRA, an additional FREE GIFT!

We are Germans/Austrians, living in and out in USA/Germany. In EU car raffles run very well and tickets sell pretty well. There is an austrian forum at www.AlleVerlosungen.at (means "all raffles") where the best car raffles and homeraffles are listed. We are on hold until 2 or 3 carraffles are completed in the next days, then be made public, too.

Depending CHARITY:
Yes, you are right, it was not mentioned yet on the website. The reason for that was, that we started in Europe. Our experience was, that Germans/Austrians (unfortunately I am the same nature of...) are not very positive with charities behind a raffle, although some people, such as sick or poor children would profit from the raffle. Those people simply dont care (in deed, in many years working with charities, Germans are the most child-unfriendly people worldwide).... Therefore we did not mention the charity yet.

Opposite: We know that Americans/Canadians love to raffle and are much more open to a raffle when a charity stands behind a raffle, and Americans are much friendlier depending kids... So what happened now was, let´s consider it as a, "conflict": with or without charity on the web.... We just opened the web this week, and we will of course mention the charity with our next update.

We have a charity project called SIGN-4-LIFE.com which belongs to the owner of FREE-CAR.de (where the FREECAR-vouchers are from). It will be made more clearly soon. All profits, after deducting the Tesla costs, will go into this international children´s charity! This will be garantueed and can also be verified by the owner of the charity and Free-Car.de, Marc Blume!

We are interested in running this project with all our effort until completed - and believe me we don´t want it to take years....

I hope to made this more understandable.

My "negative" comment was followed by a "face" that is to make you think about why I would say something like that with tongue firmly in cheek.

German hint: Look at your front page and read my words carefully.

Hello dpeilow,
I have updated the web after the critiques above. The link to the charity is in the contact site of free-roadster. Responsible for the charity-project is Marc, who founded the charity in 2005 and can confirm our project. You can see him and his girlfriend Andrea on "ABOUT US" and see some project pictures that have been made by Andrea on "PROJECTS".
Thanks for your interest
Regards
Mario

The News page seems to suggest slow ticket sales... {at this rate} 10+ years to go before the contest concludes?!
...{May 1, 2010} "We have sold nearly 400 tickets."
...{Nov 20, 2009}"We have handed out the first 110 raffletickets"
...{Oct 6, 2009}"1st DAY ONLINE"

From a FAQ/Rules page:
11500 ticket-IDs will be assigned from T00001 - T11500 , eventually additional numbers, if payments fail.
When does the raffling end?
Planned is April 2010. But there is no 100% deadline. If all tickets are gone before, we draw the winner before. If later, then we´ll do so later.
We won´t abort it under no circumstances and will finish the project until all vouchers are sold!

Last edited:
My second impression is negative, Mario. While this may be completely legit, it has the flavor of something new trying to grow way too fast. Here are a few of the reasons:

• Under Volunteers, the site asks for a bank account to be set up - for a charity to have been in business since 2006 (which I also saw on the site), it is unusual not to yet have a bank account. Donations can only be taken via PayPal.
  • The domain name is a .com. I'd expect a charity to be a .org or equivalent.
  • Multiple times, we are promised on the website that 100% of donations will go to the receiving org, "guaranteed". Guaranteed by what? I'm used to seeing an independent audit of a charity that will give me that information, not the charity promising me.
  • The volunteers requested are all focused on raising money and handling money.
  • Sign 4 Life is not on the list at Charity Navigator - which doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, but the fact it is not listed is a red flag to me.
  • Under 'About Us' on the website, there are people in jobs such as event planners, artist management, press managers, art/gallery manager, warehouse manager, etc etc ... and one person in Peru as 'coordinator'. That seems upside down to me.
  • Very little about projects, very few photos (with no identification)
  • The website says you work with prominent musicians, but none are listed.

Soooo ... not saying NOT legit. Just saying that it doesn't feel right to me. I hope this is legit, I hope you are successful. But there are many red flags here.

• Under Volunteers, the site asks for a bank account to be set up - for a charity to have been in business since 2006 (which I also saw on the site), it is unusual not to yet have a bank account. Donations can only be taken via PayPal.
In the UK a registered Charity would have published full financials at the end of it's first year of 'trading' and every year thereafter. Seems very odd that something similar is not in place here...

In the UK a registered Charity would have published full financials at the end of it's first year of 'trading' and every year thereafter. Seems very odd that something similar is not in place here...

Nonprofits (all nonprofits, not just charities) need to publish their forms 990, essentially the nonprofit version of corporate income tax returns. You can find them, for example, at GuideStar nonprofit reports and Forms 990 for donors, grantmakers and businesses