Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much I will save?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I created a simple formula to figure out how much I save in my Tesla compared to my previous car.

Gas Car variables:
A = Fuel consumption in miles/gallon
B = Cost of fuel in dollars/gallon

Electric Car variables:
D = Fuel consumption in Wh/mile
E = Cost of fuel in Dollars/KWh

Savings/mile = B/A - E*D/1000

So, comparing my Model S to my previous 2013 BMW 328 xDrive, going 20,000 miles/year:
(The fuel consumption for both the Tesla and the BMW were my real world fuel consumption. I drive aggressively in both, greater than 90% on highway miles)
A = 28 miles/gal
B = $4/gal
D = 344 Wh/mile
E = $0.12/kWH

((4/28)-((0.12*344)/1000))*20000 = $2031/year savings in fuel.

I created a simple formula to figure out how much I save in my Tesla compared to my previous car.

Gas Car variables:

Electric Car variables:

So, comparing my Model S to my previous 2013 BMW 328 xDrive, going 20,000 miles/year:
(The fuel consumption for both the Tesla and the BMW were my real world fuel consumption. I drive aggressively in both, greater than 90% on highway miles)
A = 28 miles/gal
B = $4/gal
D = 344 Wh/mile
E = $0.12/kWH

For me, I also include EZpass savings (~$15/working day cheaper due to big green discounts which is almost $300/month). Also no more oil changes which at my mileage rate is about $30/month savings. And I now charge exclusively not at home so I don't pay a dime for electricity for the car anymore. In addition, my insurance rate is about $200/year cheaper than my range rover was.

If I were to add it all up over the last 16 months and 51500 miles, the gas savings plus ezpass savings plus oil change savings plus insurance savings , I've probably saved between $15k-$16k. Those are purely monthly savings that will continue to rack up. And that's not even including the $7500 I got back from the fed nor the $7000 savings in sales tax that I didn't have to pay for EV in new jersey. Plus any time I had to get gas at WaWa in my prev vehicle I usually went inside to get junk food so I'm not doing that anymore either since I no longer need to stop for gas haha that's more $$ and even good for health :)

Gas Car variables:

Electric Car variables:

A = 28 miles/gal
B = $4/gal
D = 344 Wh/mile
E = $0.12/kWH

I have found a formula of cost savings from your own Tesla site in the United States.

Here is the URL link http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric#savings

Just click on the "savings" link which will take you to almost the bottom of the page. Scroll down a bit further

Enter all your variations in costs and annual distance travelled . . . . . Your cost savings is automatically worked out