Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs Model S Specs Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CHGolferJim

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2014
Chapel Hill NC
Please add your thoughts about trunk+frunk space, rear headroom, and anything else.

I'm hoping superior battery range, very close but slightly lower performance for base/performance/plus variants, 20% less trunk+frunk, superior rear headroom with a more elevated rear roofline, 5 seater, slightly smaller touchscreen.

What improvements other than battery range and price?

Model III Predictions

Rear cargo (seats up/folded): 20/43 cu. ft.
Front cargo: 4 cu ft
Rear Headroom: 35"
Range: 220/260/300 mi
Power: 265 hp/325 hp/400 hp
0-60: 5.5/4.5/3.7 sec

Price (Before credits/rebates): $38,000/$48,000/$60,000

@James Anders...I expect that range for the Model S will likewise improve.

While I do think there the batteries will be better by the time the giga factory is churning them out and found in the Model III, I don't think it would be Tesla's strategy to make the III come close to or outperform the Model S in any way. If they did, it would price out the Model S to the point that people wouldn't see a need to get a Model S if they could get something cheaper AND better with the III... then you lose sales in Model S.

This has to be a car for the masses. And the masses aren't ready for a 300-400HP electric vehicle that can go 0-60 in under 5-6 seconds. Sadly, the masses barely even know Tesla exists.

If you are going to market this car for everyone and start in the 35k range, it needs fit that model and can't be compared to the S closely. I think people's expectations for the Model III (and those people who still don't know what it is at this point, but will when the car comes out) will be that the cost is much lower than anything else offered by Tesla, and that it can go at least 200 miles in a charge. That's it.

Would a performance upgrade be great? Absolutely! But you can't blur the lines between the III and S. IMO

Can't wait for the III tho!

Model III Predictions

Rear cargo (seats up/folded): 20/43 cu. ft.
Front cargo: 4 cu ft
Rear Headroom: 35"

@James Anders...I expect that range for the Model S will likewise improve.

I think your acceleration times are a bit too optimistic. Elon has stated that the Model S will be the best performing saloon.

While I do think there the batteries will be better by the time the giga factory is churning them out and found in the Model III, I don't think it would be Tesla's strategy to make the III come close to or outperform the Model S in any way. If they did, it would price out the Model S to the point that people wouldn't see a need to get a Model S if they could get something cheaper AND better with the III... then you lose sales in Model S.

This has to be a car for the masses. And the masses aren't ready for a 300-400HP electric vehicle that can go 0-60 in under 5-6 seconds. Sadly, the masses barely even know Tesla exists.

If you are going to market this car for everyone and start in the 35k range, it needs fit that model and can't be compared to the S closely. I think people's expectations for the Model III (and those people who still don't know what it is at this point, but will when the car comes out) will be that the cost is much lower than anything else offered by Tesla, and that it can go at least 200 miles in a charge. That's it.

Would a performance upgrade be great? Absolutely! But you can't blur the lines between the III and S. IMO

+1. :biggrin:

QUOTE]

Why wouldn't Tesla start selling the S with the improved batteries and with the larger platform it would still have better range than the Model 3? 350+ mile range would sure be attractive.

I think it would be ok if the tricked-out 3 had somewhat better range than an S. After all, people expect small cars to be more fuel efficient and go further on a "tank".

That is quite possible, especially as we get another 3+ years ahead of where we are now. I'm sure any battery improvements will be embraced as we go ahead. I was just making the case that the model III should not be close spec-wise to the S, given the dramatically reduced cost. You need the have products that offer tangible differences to warrant the different costs and hierarchy of the models.

There will be a market for every product. However, the Model S and X market is very small (you could say niche) compared to all cars being offered today and in the near future. The model III is Tesla's best chance to change that.

I guess my expectations for the Model III are a bit tempered... but anything can happen between now and when they showcase a prototype of the III...

Why not though? Some models of the BMW 3-series can beat their top line 7-series. If the new Model III it's to match/beat the BMW 3-series, there will have to be a Model that out-performs the Model S (even a P85+) on the track.

Some people will want a fully optioned car with maximum range and 0-60 less important, while others will want a more spartan car with maximum speed. Tesla would be wise to offer all options as soon as possible, and be transparent about it if not available upfront. Why keep the people who will pay for the top end waiting?

I agree.

However, I think they will spend a great deal of their effort and time in rolling out a "base" model III to the masses, at least initially. Maybe they will do both and surprise us with many choices....

Having a multitude of options and specs for the III would be wise, and would accommodate a larger range of potential customers who are willing to pay more for more performance/range. This would fall in line with BMW, Mercedes, etc. especially if you are name-dropping them in marketing releases.

I reject the premise that the Model III can't be close to the Model S in performance. BMW 7-Series and 3-Series/M3 buyers buy for different reasons. Perhaps my projections were a bit optimistic, but I'm hoping it will have some real performance chops, not just "meh" specs that make it as good, but no better than a Leaf. 0-60 in 7 flat for the "base" model, 6 for the intermediate model, and 5 flat for the "high-end" performance model would be appropriate and ample.

This is a great discussion. It has gone slightly off the rails from the title description but into more interesting territory.

So will the Model III have more performance chops than the Model S? Some are saying yes, and some are saying no. How about both?

I expect the base model to be slower than the 60 kWh Model S. Say 6 to 6.5 seconds 0-60 MPH. I would still hope for decent EV chops at the 40-60 MPH range and it will still blow away any ICE out there.

I hope and expect there to be more choices with a car that needs to appeal to 500K worldwide customers. A base model with 6 to 6.5 seconds, larger pack/better performance version 5 to 5.5 seconds, and official Performance version with 4 to 4.5 seconds which would fit with the Model S in possibilities. There might even be room for a Super Sport version with a 3.5 to 4 second 0-60.

I truly expect there to be a Model S 2.0 to come within a year of the Model III with the newer batteries for both increased performance and range. The car will be due for a refresh right about that time or possibly before the Model III hits production. I'd think that Tesla would want the Model III batteries thoroughly tested before they reach full production on the Model III in cars.

I can't imagine the base range being above 200. I'll expect an EPA of 180 to 200 for the car. Just because of cost I can't expect any more out of Tesla for the base model. I like the pricing and of course options will add to those numbers. The larger pack should add an extra 80 to 100 miles to the range.

Why is this ? the BMW M3 out performs the M5.

I'm not speculating so much as providing my wish list. I'm a new father who already has a second "fun" car in my Miata. I wanted a Model S but couldn't justify the costs (aka, the wife wouldn't agree to spend that much) so instead I have a Lexus IS 350 F Sport now.

For the Tesla Model 3 to get me to immediately sell the Lexus and buy it I would need to see the following things.
Interior space including trunk/frunk, same cargo volume as the Lexus or similar (BMW 3 series, etc).
200 mile range (even if that's the top of the line model, as I'm sure there will be options)
0-60 times around 5.5 seconds (to keep it fun)
Crash safety just as good as the Model S, or at least very close
Lots of available options with a max configured price not much more than $60k. Things like adaptive cruise, heated and ventilated seats, fog lights, parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, etc. I'd love those to just be options, and I bet they will be to keep that promise of a $35k price tag possible.

The M series cars aren't the mass market versions of their cars though. The Performance Model 3 could very well out accelerate the base Model S but I would expect Tesla to make their P100+ AWD or whatever they have out then even quicker.

Agreed. M series are not the mass market version. My point was that an M3 (equivalent of a Model III) out performs an M5 (which is the equivalent of a Model S P85+) So why can't the Model III be better and faster than the Model S. Model S would still need to be the best Luxury Sedan or what ever they want to call it. However IMHO Model S does not hold that title. If the Model S can incorporate all (or at least most) of the modern safety and convenience features of most modern Luxury cars I think it will easily take that title. I don't think I HUGE Luxury Sedan need to out perform and SMALL sport sedan or coupe. It just has to be the best in class.