Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Child booster seat for third row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The owner's manual says "do not use supplemental child safety seats in these seats," so it's pretty clear the answer from Tesla would be "no."

That said, Steve's "towel under the butt" idea seems like your best bet. There's just a concern that it could misalign your kids pelvis in relation to the 5 point harness and increase the odds of injury in the event of a crash.

The owner's manual says "do not use supplemental child safety seats in these seats," so it's pretty clear the answer from Tesla would be "no."

That said, Steve's "towel under the butt" idea seems like your best bet. There's just a concern that it could misalign your kids pelvis in relation to the 5 point harness and increase the odds of injury in the event of a crash.

Echo here, 3rd row seats should not be modified in any way, per Tesla, and per common sense. That means no boosters, no child seats, no towels. They are rated up to 75lbs a piece and they should be used only by a child that is ready for a forward facing normal car seat. If they are still rear-racing in a normal car seat, DO NOT put them in the 3rd row seats.

Found a Booster Seat That Works!!!! Read on for more details....

We recently took delivery of a Model X and learned that our child's Graco booster seat was too wide. As a result, it interfered with the belt buckle. The only way to make it work was to shift the booster seat off to the opposite side which led to the car seat being tilted. We also tried with a Clek booster seat and the same thing. The armrest covered the belt buckle.

However, this past weekend we found a seat that works. It is the Harmony Youth Booster Seat (without LATCH). The best part is that it is sold at Walmart and cost only CDN $20.00. The base of the seat is tapered which allows the seat to be centered nicely between the seat bolsters on either side without overlapping and covering the belt buckle.

Attached are some photos of the product itself and how it sits in the second row of a Model X. Works fine in the third row seats as well. Also attached are some photos with our Graco seat. I did not take any photos with the Clek seat at it was the same issue as the Graco.

Hope this helps those parents that have been having difficulty finding a booster seat that works.

Ed, Rhonda and Atley

View media item 115818View media item 115817View media item 115810View media item 115809View media item 115808View media item 115811View media item 115812View media item 115816View media item 115814View media item 115813

This thread was about a booster seat in the S, not the X.

I posted this thread here hoping that this would be of some assistance to those who were searching
It's funny because the post was so thorough, but completely missed this was about the Model S third row. He should re-post in the X forum.
Thanks for the feedback. I will repost in the MX forum as well. I posted here hoping that it would be of some assistance to those who have an issue with booster seats covering the belt buckled. We had experienced this in our MS and now our MX. Was happy that we finally found something suitable and thought that I would offer up the info here. I was prepared to buck up and buy a Porche child booster and found one that works from Walmart of all places.

This thread was about the 3rd row in the S. The 2nd row in the S - I know exactly what you mean and appreciate the link to the seat that doesn't cover the buckle, but the responses you're getting is because it's a totally different topic.