Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated Model X Predictions (Based on Q2 2014 Info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

In light of the latest information to come out of Tesla about the Model X (2nd Half of 2014) I am writing this post to see how close I get to the actual specs when they are released later on this year. As I'm writing this, I am hoping for the best on features and expect the worst when it comes to the pricing of them just to be safe. Please do me the courtesy of reading the entire post before giving a rebuttal. I will try to keep it short as possible. I will start with the most concrete and end with the "Pie in the Sky".

1.) First and foremost, when the Model X is released, at the very least the grill will look different than the Model S having an updated/refreshed design. Subsequent Model S's & possibly the Model 3 will share this updated styling.

Here’s why I think this:
Production Tesla Model X designed for women, looks 'better' [w/video]
Production Tesla Model X designed for women, looks [w/video]

"When the model X comes out it's going to refresh the brand not necessarily the car".
Tesla Model S Head of Product Design (Behind the Scenes) - YouTube

2.) 4G LTE internet connectivity (that downgrades to 3G in areas where 4G is not available) will be standard on the Model X.

Why do I think this?
As I stated here GM will offer 4G LTE in all cars starting in 2015. IMHO, Tesla would be crazy not to keep up with the times.​

3.) Dual motors will add $5k to the Price.
Why I think this?
I believe it has been mentioned on this forum that the price charged to insurance for a replacement motor has been listed by Tesla at $15k (sorry I don't have the link). I'm just taking the smaller size into account for the second motor in the standard dual motor all-wheel drive.​

4.) Tesla has said they have a solution for people who want a roof rack. (Not I... well, not yet anyway.)

5.) Model X may have self driving (Yes, I know this is a long shot) as seen in the new show Extant. Which you can view online here.
10417805_10152212424270848_1816090111971085407_n.jpg

Tesla has said they want to be one of the first car companies to market with this. I'm going to put a pessimistic first gen price tag on self-driving of $10k to $20k.

Personally, I'd choose self-driving over performance for the Model X. I'd love to be able to fall asleep on a long road trip behind the wheel on purpose. But only if the chair is comfortable. :wink:​

My Pie in the Sky Want
Since the Model X screen is raised make it a curved touch screen. I'm not sure if it adds any functionality, just for coolness.. Or make it in the dash like the Model S. It looks better. IMHO. :biggrin:

What other new/likely features do you think I may have missed?

Last edited:
Exactly,

What I meant is the price of the Model X will be $5k more expensive than the Model S. You will have no choice but to pay it since all Model X's are all wheel drive. Elon Musk has gone on record saying that the Model X will be more expensive because of dual motor all wheel drive.

"Hoping for the best" my friend. Also Elon Musk a said a several occasions that Tesla will be one of the first car companies to market with this technology.

So... Based on Elon's words ;-)

In the same breath he said Tesla has the best engineers/is the most advanced in this area.

Last edited:
I could see a restyle of the nose cone on Model X and have that translated back to Model S. My best guess on this would be have it body colored, or at least body colored as an option.

4G is a good bet. I haven't been tracking nVidia, but there may be a new Gen Tegra processor ready for the release too. Faster speed, less energy use.

My guess is AWD will be an $8k - $10k premium, and we should be able to figure it out, because it will become an option on Model S. My WAG is AWD will get tossed into the performance package and will result in Model S being on par with Roadster 0 - 60 with an increase its range to 300 mile EPA.

I would also add that I think the steering wheel and driving controls (shift lever, wipers, CC, etc.) will be all Tesla (instead of Merc parts bin) on Model X and get ported back over the Model S.

I do not think there will be any auto-pilot on Model X at release. When Musk talks about have the tech, I think he is referring to prototype, not production. My guess would be when Model 3 comes out, Model S and Model X will get auto-pilot, bigger batteries, and faster charge rate. That will differentiate the vehicle lines and justify the premium on S and X.

I'm going to predict that the base AWD Model X will start at $74,000, $66,500 after $7,500 rebate.

I think there will be a lot of new, pricey options:
- Self parking
- 360 view when parking
- Adaptive cruise control
- Blind spot monitoring
- Swivel second row seats
- Third row seat
- Auto closing frunk
- Faster internet connection
- Bigger battery packs
- A superior "winter package"

Sorry Folks, I don't think that the Model X will come in with similar pricing to the base Merc GL, Compared to Model S in Size add about 5% more, $3,000 for dual motor, and Falcon doors should bring it up another $4,000 or so. I'm thinking the Price will be about $79k-$82k. But, Considering you are getting Range Rover quality and an extra row of seats- its a steal. I still think the Model X will greatly improve in styling- look at the Early Model S.

Side note-
I would greatly expect a range face restyle to Model S and X to cut down on body panel differences and it will have been about the 3 year time.

Tech-
I'd expect S-Class levels of autonomous tech, they have been working on that stuff in house for almost 2 years.
Mirrors should be the same :(

Any thoughts on those ideas

I could see a restyle of the nose cone on Model X and have that translated back to Model S. My best guess on this would be have it body colored, or at least body colored as an option.

4G is a good bet. I haven't been tracking nVidia, but there may be a new Gen Tegra processor ready for the release too. Faster speed, less energy use.

My guess is AWD will be an $8k - $10k premium, and we should be able to figure it out, because it will become an option on Model S. My WAG is AWD will get tossed into the performance package and will result in Model S being on par with Roadster 0 - 60 with an increase its range to 300 mile EPA.

I would also add that I think the steering wheel and driving controls (shift lever, wipers, CC, etc.) will be all Tesla (instead of Merc parts bin) on Model X and get ported back over the Model S.

I do not think there will be any auto-pilot on Model X at release. When Musk talks about have the tech, I think he is referring to prototype, not production. My guess would be when Model 3 comes out, Model S and Model X will get auto-pilot, bigger batteries, and faster charge rate. That will differentiate the vehicle lines and justify the premium on S and X.

As I recall the MS uses a Tegra 2, which was way back in the day in the same generation as the iPhone 3G (hence no 4G radio support). The touchscreen tech using a recent Tegra will have a much snappier and smoother experience in line with current day tablets, and have 4G radios enabled.

I also think they will announce rudimentary beginnings of autopilot via active safety features with the Model X release, and include the MobilEye sensor suite as part of the 'tech package', with software updates adding functionality a step at a time. With that in mind I think the driver's (and front passenger) seat will have the swivel functionality come built-in, a la Extant ep.1, to be ready for full autopilot lounging :)

Tesla would be smart to keep as much commonality as possible. So while there will be substantial changes with the new model, like AWD and FW doors, much will be shared. No new grill, no swiveling seats. Later, via software, driver aids will be added. Sleeper hardware will be built in for later activation, like the radar for blind spot monitoring. It will be a helluva package and I look forward to seeing the rolling prototypes this year! Deliveries can't come soon enough...

Seriously, you are using as evidence that the X may have a self driving option the fact that the X beta vehicle is shown in a TV show?

"Hoping for the best" my friend. Also Elon Musk a said a several occasions that Tesla will be one of the first car companies to market with this technology.

So... Based on Elon's words ;-)

In the same breath he said Tesla has the best engineers/is the most advanced in this area.

Told you so ;-)

"D" cat's out of the bag.