Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla at a dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All

I need your help figuring options on a used Tesla sitting in a BMW dealership.

I came across this listing of Tesla Model S with a VIN.

However the dealer is unable to figure out if car has air suspension and super charger enabled?

How can we tell that it has above options?

Will Tesla respond to an inquiry about a car with specific VIN?

Air suspension is not possible without a Tech package right?

Please let me know.

Thanks

From the VIN, you can tell if it was supercharger-enabled from the factory, but it could also have been enabled later. The only way I know to tell for for sure is to plug it into a supercharger. Tesla should be able to tell you, but I don't know if they will.

I question the intelligence of the people at the dealer...

ui-suspension.jpg

If it doesn't have that then it doesn't have air suspension, simple.

Are you sure about that? If it's the same chrome I'm thinking of, I don't think I've seen any cars without it. The design studio shows it whether or not the tech package is selected.

100% positive. On non-tech cars the trim on the rear lower bumper is "black" instead of chrome as well as the trim pieces next to the fog lights on the front - they are black too on non-tech cars. I've seen many Model S with non tech packages (I was even looking at about 3 of them on Monday at the Springfield service center). That's the easiest way to distinguish tech vs non-tech package.

Also, if you can get temporary remote access you can you use VisibleTesla to look and see if the supercharging flag is set to true or false.

I was thinking the same thing. HOWEVER, how would you connect with the vehicle? I'm willing to bet that the BMW dealer has no idea what the app username and password are. And Tesla is unlikely to give you that information until you present them with a copy of the new title. Certainly a Tesla service center could work around this. I think it would be well worth the investment to pay for a Tesla Service Ranger to visit the car at the BMW dealer and check the car over. The ranger would certainly be able to identify the various options.

VisibleTesla will only show the supercharger flag as true if it came from the factory with supercharger support enabled. My car came with no parcel shelf, so the flag for this option says false. I was at the SC this week having the parking sensors added and asked them to set the flag for the parcel shelf to true, since I added it after the car. I was informed that they can not do that, that the flags are set at the factory baed on the VIN and are not changeable after the fact. So now, VisibleTesla reports false for both the parcel shelf and parking assist sensors, although my car has both.

VisibleTesla will only show the supercharger flag as true if it came from the factory with supercharger support enabled. My car came with no parcel shelf, so the flag for this option says false. I was at the SC this week having the parking sensors added and asked them to set the flag for the parcel shelf to true, since I added it after the car. I was informed that they can not do that, that the flags are set at the factory baed on the VIN and are not changeable after the fact. So now, VisibleTesla reports false for both the parcel shelf and parking assist sensors, although my car has both.

How much did you pay for the parking sensor retrofit?

100% positive. On non-tech cars the trim on the rear lower bumper is "black" instead of chrome as well as the trim pieces next to the fog lights on the front - they are black too on non-tech cars. I've seen many Model S with non tech packages (I was even looking at about 3 of them on Monday at the Springfield service center). That's the easiest way to distinguish tech vs non-tech package.

Well, I've learned something new. I wonder if it's always been that way?

Will Tesla respond to an inquiry about a car with specific VIN?

I'd highly recommend calling your local service center or Tesla service and inquire about the VIN number. I bought a used P85 a few months ago, and I was able to get a lot information from Tesla Service that I wouldn't get from CarFax. They can tell you how caught up on service it is, if it has any service/warranty packages, and also send you the original build configuration sheet with all of the upgrades (this is helpful for financing, also). If you call a local service center, they might even know the car off the top of their head (mine did) and tell you about anything unusual, etc. Good luck!