Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S with some history behind it - literately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a picture I took today of one of a handful of Model S´s in Iceland. More specifically, at the parking lot outside Höfði, Reykjavík.

Höfði is the house where the end of the cold war began with the meeting between Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev in 1986. (ReykjavÃ*k Summit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

It´s a 85 version btw.

Tesla MS hofdi.jpg

I understand this is probably a strange post but perhaps some of you here that like this kinda stuff.

This is a picture I took today of one of a handful of Model S´s in Iceland. More specifically, at the parking lot outside Höfði, Reykjavík.

Höfði is the house where the end of the cold war began with the meeting between Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev in 1986. (ReykjavÃ*k Summit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

It´s a 85 version btw.

I understand this is probably a strange post but perhaps some of you here that like this kinda stuff.

Is it yours?

In any case, welcome to TMC.

Electric cars would really suit Iceland well, complementing the other ways of clean energy. Imagine if you could run it on thermal power!

That is a great post, I remember that meeting. I have read that during that meeting, Reagan and Gorbachev actually agreed with each other to eliminate all land-based ICBMs (or perhaps even all nuclear weapons, I cannot recall), but their generals would not allow them to do so.

.../ I have read that during that meeting, Reagan and Gorbachev actually agreed with each other to eliminate all land-based ICBMs (or perhaps even all nuclear weapons, I cannot recall), but their generals would not allow them to do so.

Wikipedia, so grains of salt applies...

...] Gorbachev then suggested eliminating all nuclear weapons within a decade. Gorbachev, however, citing a desire to strengthen the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty (ABM Treaty), added the condition that any SDI research be confined to laboratories for the ten-year period in question. Reagan argued that his proposed SDI research was allowed by any reasonable interpretation of the ABM treaty, and that he could not forget the pledge he made to Americans to investigate whether SDI was viable. He also promised to share SDI technology, a promise which Gorbachev said he doubted would be fulfilled, as the Americans would not even share oil-drilling technology.

Some, including Reagan staffer Jack F. Matlock, Jr., attribute Reagan’s refusal to compromise on SDI testing to a mistaken belief that the proposed restrictions would be detrimental to the program, whereas in reality, Matlock contends, they would have had little effect on research that was still in its very early stages.[2]

The talks finally stalled, Reagan asking if Gorbachev would “turn down a historic opportunity because of a single word,” referring to his insistence on laboratory testing. Gorbachev asserted that it was a matter of principle, and the summit concluded.

[My underline.]

Source: Reykjavík Summit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- - - Updated - - -

.../ I have read that during that meeting, Reagan and Gorbachev actually agreed with each other to eliminate all land-based ICBMs (or perhaps even all nuclear weapons, I cannot recall), but their generals would not allow them to do so.

[My underline.]
I might be mistaken, but as I understand it, a US general does not hold a position from where he has any right to deny a democratically elected POTUS anything.

A Soviet general though, up until the dissolution of the Soviet Union, might very well have been a different matter…

I'm heading out there (Iceland) on Wednesday night. Wish I could have rented a Model S but even tiny cars are *expensive* to rent out there! Definitely looking forward to visiting another place I've never been.

Is it yours?

In any case, welcome to TMC.

Electric cars would really suit Iceland well, complementing the other ways of clean energy. Imagine if you could run it on thermal power!

No, it´s not (but I wish).

The HQ of a big bank are close by, I assume some slick banker owns the car.

And I´d rather have the Tesla charged on hydropower (which is the most dominant source of electricity in Iceland) or Wind Power, which is the up-and-coming power source for Iceland.

Contrary to popular belief, geothermal powerplants are not all that green.