Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern WA fires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
The news is pretty dire about the fires. I hope everyone over there is safe. I see reports of Pateros basically burning down. Did the resort with the HAL2 get hit? I've also seen reports of the Methow power lines getting torched. Are Mazama, Winthrop and Twisp powerless?

This is an incredibly early fire season. Here's hoping for wetter weather soon.

Pateros Lakeshore Inn (70A EVSE) is fine, they have opened their facilities to fire evacuees. Kudos to them for a real, "community spirit." Pine Near RV Park (70A in Winthrop) reports that they have been without electrical power for two days. Mazama will likely be in the same situation because the power lines cross Loop Loop pass which is a center of one fire. I was told that there are about four miles of electrical lines shut down as precaution to starting even more fires in the area.

Major fire burning in Washington State destroys about 100 homes | Globalnews.ca

As stated in that article, we've got over a 150 fires burning across BC. It's been a hot dry summer and with so much dead pine beetle wood in our forests (from warmer winters not keeping that pest under control -- more evidence of climate change) our forests are a tinder box. Before my grandfather passed away, he told me that it often took over an hour to find a dead tree for firewood. Now in the Okanagan where I have a cabin there is a dead tree every few feet. It's really quite tragic seeing the state of our forests:

bc pine beetle images - Google Search

Mountain Pine Beetle.jpg

It's REALLY awful over there!! I was just over in Coeur de Alene this past week and the smoke from the chelan fire (which is a good three hours by car! Was all the way over there. On the way there I was stuck on I90 for two hours because they'd closed it because of a brush fire that jumped the interstate before vantage. And then on the way home same thing in fishtrap...it just seems like they are popping up faster than they can be put out...

and I won't even get into the army hill by vantage and how three cities had to almost be evacuated because of their games and how they got out of control....