Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evatran Wireless Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard if Tesla will incorporate wireless charging into their cars? It would be really cool to drive into the garage or a supercharger station and not have to plug in, especially if it's raining and there is no cover over the supercharger.

I found Evatran on the internet. Seems they have a working product.

I'd pay a $1000 or so for that option if they offered it.

@Mods - Maybe you can move this post to the Charging section

Last edited:
There have been other threads on this before, but the limitation (at least for now) on wireless charging is the limited power available. The Evatran system is a 3.3 kW system, so it's going to take you more than 24 hours to recharge a depleted Model S with an 85 kWh battery pack. With everyone clamoring for high-amp Level 2 charging, which install a super-low amp L2 charging station?

I heard they are working on a 6.6 KW system, the transmission losses are 5%, and it will ship Q1 2015.

5% doesn't sound like much at first, but at 6.6kW, that's 330 watts of power just lost!!! Or assuming you need to charge for 6 hours a night, that's 2kWh of power lost to that system each day. Until they come up with a system that's closer to 99.99% efficient, I'll stick to spending an extra 5 seconds dealing with a plug. :smile:

it's an ADDITIONAL 5% loss, over the already close to 10% loss people have measured on the existing setup... (I also question that 5%, because the best systems I've seen to date have advertised about double that)

It's hard to get enough power in quickly enough, and electricity isn't free. plugging in is quick and easy.