Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exposed Wire in Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I noticed this exposed wire in my trunk and I wonder if it's normal or if this was the result of a shortcut by someone in the factory. It's in the "cubby" on the far right side of the back of the trunk, next to the compartment where the optional child-seats would be stored.

262.JPG

261.JPG

Is this normal? Would anyone volunteer to check theirs and let me know if it's the same? I would think an exposed wire in a place where you could potentially store sharp objects is not a good idea.

Sorry for the bad pictures. It's tight down there and difficult to get a good shot.

I was going to say "exposed (not bare)" but I figured the picture would show that it's not bare. So what would you call it then if not exposed? I can see it and feel it and it's in the trunk so, to me, that would qualify as exposed. It is still vulnerable in my opinion. If everyone's is like that, then I'll trust that Tesla engineers are comfortable with it. My concern is that if mine is the only one like this, then something wasn't done right.

If a wrapped electrical wire in your house was coming-out of your wall, wouldn't that be considered an exposed wire?

I was going to say "exposed (not bare)" but I figured the picture would show that it's not bare. So what would you call it then if not exposed? I can see it and feel it and it's in the trunk so, to me, that would qualify as exposed. It is still vulnerable in my opinion. If everyone's is like that, then I'll trust that Tesla engineers are comfortable with it. My concern is that if mine is the only one like this, then something wasn't done right.

If a wrapped electrical wire in your house was coming-out of your wall, wouldn't that be considered an exposed wire?

I agree...it's "out of place" and exposed visually.

It seems out of character for the Model S...I cannot say I've seen it there before when vacuuming.

The only thing I can think of is that it needs to be tucked under the trim piece. Does it feel like that to you?

Well, I looked and I can see, or mostly feel, this cable, just peeking out from under the trunk lining in the right side cubby. But I don't see any reason for concern. I have seen similar cables along the edge of my many (ICE) cars in the past, and always assumed it was just a cable to the rear lights, etc. I assume the same is likely the case here. -Alex

- - - Updated - - -

And, the cable is black, which means its just a regular 12v wire, to lights or other stuff on the 12v system. The high power cables are all orange in electric vehicles.