Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use USB with Alpine double din system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

That last few days I've been wondering... the Alpine system offers a "USB" input, besides BT Audio and the iPhone dock in front of the handbrake.
But where should I plug in my USB stick to be able to play MP3s from it? Plugging it in into the USB port next to the 12V jack isn't working, and as far as I've read that's for diagnostics only anyway. Any ideas where I should look? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

When I had mine out for service (maps froze) I believe there was at least one open usb port on the rear of the unit in addition to the one used for the iPhone. There were no cables connected (and I didn't try, sorry).

You can pull the unit out and try inserting a connector to your device.

I ordered a flush mount panel on ebay:
panel-usb.jpg

That should do the trick :)
Do you guys think there's a need for a write-up about this diy-project, as soon as I'm done with it? If so, then I will document the progress with pictures and such.

Really? Well, that would save me a lot of work, I guess...
But that doesn't explain these two findings:
I believe there was at least one open usb port on the rear of the unit in addition to the one used for the iPhone.

and

The USB port is on a 10 inch lead coming out of the back of the unit. It is not connected to anything. You can get an extension cable and route it where you want.​

Maybe I should just pull the unit, just to be sure.

Really? Well, that would save me a lot of work, I guess...
But that doesn't explain these two findings:

and

Maybe I should just pull the unit, just to be sure.
All I know is that I switched from an iPhone to Blackberry Z10 and needed to switch from iPhone to micro-USB for my phone. So I removed that dock section and there is a female USB into which the iPhone plug is connected. So I bought a 1ft USB-micro USB cable and plugged it in there. If you need a second USB then yeah you'll need to pull the unit but if one is fine then you have one sitting there.

I stand corrected. There is only one USB coming out the back of the unit. It is on the 10 inch lead previously mentioned. I found my IPOD extension cable unplugged and tucked down out of sight. You might be able to use a "y" cable and keep the IPOD connection.
DSCF0566.jpg

I found mine on my UK roadster hidden inside the fusebox on the passenger side of the car near the door on the front of the dash. You will need to remove the fuse box cover and it might be in there. Take a look.

All I know is that I switched from an iPhone to Blackberry Z10 and needed to switch from iPhone to micro-USB for my phone. So I removed that dock section and there is a female USB into which the iPhone plug is connected. So I bought a 1ft USB-micro USB cable and plugged it in there. If you need a second USB then yeah you'll need to pull the unit but if one is fine then you have one sitting there.
Hi Strider

Could you share the steps of how to remove the dock? I want to try what you did but don’t want to break the dock.

thanks

Hi Strider

Could you share the steps of how to remove the dock? I want to try what you did but don’t want to break the dock.

thanks
Hi there, sorry for the delay. This is for a 2.5.

Remove the rubber piece that your phone rests against (below the "D" button). It just comes right out.

Below that is a 3mm (I think) allen screw. Remove that screw.

Now remove the plastic cover that holds the seat heater and TC buttons. You need to slide it up AND to the rear of the car. You need to follow the angle in front of the e-brake. If you try to lift it straight up it will feel like the back edge is caught. Do not pry. Slide it up and back.

Now you will be able to chase the current phone cable to a female USB-A plug. Unplug the current cord and insert the phone plug of your choice.

Reassemble.