Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manhattan Tesla Owner seeking same for tips and tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my S85 this week, expecting late September delivery.
unfortunately I'm going to have to garage the car as street side charging stations don't exist yet. I live on the UWS and I'm looking for a garage that will give me my own spot and who will allow me to install my own Tesla Home charging unit. Anybody know of reasonably priced garages who are willing to work with EV owners?

Also if you have any tips you care to pass on I would love to hear them.

Be well.

Sorry, can't help with tips, but welcome to the club! I no longer live in NY, but commute there for business every month, and the plethora of garages with chargepoint stations is a great thing. On my last trip (Monday), I even spotted a ChaDeMo station on plugshare (though I didn't try it). So, not free, but there are many charging options until you get one of your own.

I used the Icon Garage on UWS last week on 71st st (just visiting), and charged with their j-1772. Interestingly, I spotted a bunch (maybe 6 or 8) of on street EV chargers in central park in the SE area. Not sure who can use them but the signs just said EV only. I also read that NYC has a new law that every new parking lot or garage in NYC has to install conduit and provide the electrical capacity for future EVSEs for 20% of parking spaces. Maybe you could target new development/construction and approach them about use of their infrastructure.
Also, check out the discussion on the Tesla Motors forum if you haven't already:

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/nyc-and-parkingcharging

Clearly there is a market for garages for EV owners in NYC, eventually someone will figure this out. Good luck!

Last edited:
Check out this thread:

Charging in New York City.....? - Page 2

An owner in this thread was able to get the Mercedes House garage to install a seperately metered 14-50 for him to use in his own space. I believe that garage in near 53rd & 11th. They charged him $600 for installation of equipment and then he paid his usual parking rate and whatever the electricity costs. I think he lives in that building too, so maybe they were more flexible with him, but might be worth looking into.

Icon has been very receptive. I don't live in NYC, but commute in daily and have a spot at 45th and 3rd. They have 110's (bletch), but have said they would be open to charging for a price. I believe the guy to talk to at Icon is Jose; just call the main number on their site.

Also, you may want to reach out to Omar at the Queens service center. He seems to be the keeper of all knowledge and is the best of the best among Tesla employees in the area that I've dealt with.

I ordered my S85 this week, expecting late September delivery.
unfortunately I'm going to have to garage the car as street side charging stations don't exist yet. I live on the UWS and I'm looking for a garage that will give me my own spot and who will allow me to install my own Tesla Home charging unit. Anybody know of reasonably priced garages who are willing to work with EV owners?

Also if you have any tips you care to pass on I would love to hear them.

Be well.

The best thing you can do is talk to the managers of a bunch of garages and find a nice one that will give you an assigned spot and allow you to pay for the install of a private charger and allow you to self park (non-valet).