Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Transport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the process of buying a roadster. Was hoping to get some recommendations from anyone on a company to transport the car from California to Ohio.
Already looked at Plycar, Ship a Car Direct, and Reliable Carriers.
This is my first time getting a car shipped and wanted to know peoples recommendations and experiences.
Thanks

I don't have an outfit to recommend - I've only shipped a car once in my life. I did learn, at least in this case, that an "enclosed carrier" meant that it had canvas / nylon sheets hung on the side of the truck. So the car was protected from flying gravel and other airborne sandpaper activity. It also arrived gray from the dirt that had accumulated during it's ride across the country. I had visions of the enclosed carrier being actually closed, and protected from that sort of water and muck.

I've used Enclosed Vehicle Transport for two long distance moves and it has worked out great for me. They have options, but I've used their fully enclosed hard-sided trailers that hold three typical cars. Because they use smaller trailers, the car gets to you faster than the companies that consolidate a large load with more deliveries. Both times the transport took about 2 days (from New York to Kansas City). The only issue I had on the second move was that getting the car picked up took several days.

Last edited:
I just bought a used Model S and had it shipped from Seattle to Phoenix. The local Tesla service center here recommended Go 2 Transportion. They had the best enclosed price (with a little haggling). The car arrived in 5 days. The service center here said this is the company they use exclusively and that they are very knowledgeable about Teslas. After mine was delivered, the driver said there were two more Model S's in his truck en route to Houston. He had also just dropped off a bunch of test vehicles to a VW proving ground in this area.

Car arrived in great shape. The big rig offered great protection:

IMG_6231.jpg

IMG_6233.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

Congratulations on your Roadster, what are the specs?

Thanks AEdennis, It is a 2010, 2.0, Fusion Red.
The only thing missing for me is a hardtop. I will need to find an after market one. Someone told me that there is a clear hardtop that fits the Roadster. Anyone know anything about that?

Welcome to the Ohio group. We are gaining roadster owners all over the state. Several in Columbus, Dayton and the Cleveland area.

Thanks ibcs, Looking forward to some roadster meet ups. I'm gonna be at the Tesla COSI event tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. After getting multiple quotes I decided to go with Plycar. They had the best rate and the user experience appears to be great.
They have their own trucks and the they are all enclosed.
Will post back with pics and my experience once I get the Roadster in a week or two.
The other company I was looking into was Ship a Car Direct. It seems they try to have good customer service. The owner (supposedly) even post responses to people's experiences on yelp. The only thing that bothered me with them is that the company is only a go through company. They are a broker and try to find a carrier to ship your car. Didn't like that.

Thanks AEdennis, It is a 2010, 2.0, Fusion Red.
The only thing missing for me is a hardtop. I will need to find an after market one. Someone told me that there is a clear hardtop that fits the Roadster. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks ibcs, Looking forward to some roadster meet ups. I'm gonna be at the Tesla COSI event tomorrow.

There are a couple of threads about the aftermarket / 3rd party top. Look for "glass" in the forum search, or maybe "glass top".

I don't have a Tesla hard top, and now that I have the glass top, I have no desire for Tesla's hard top. Winters in Oregon, with rain coming down on the glass top (it's really polycarb / sunglass material), and then sheeting back over my head, is magical :)