Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

American Express & Tesla offer Factory Tour for Sept 13

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email from American Express about offerings they have and had a double-take when I noticed this:

Insider Access with Tesla Motors

Where:Tesla Motors Fremont Store, 45500 Fremont Blvd, Freemont, CA
When:9/13 at 8am – 1:15pm or 9/13 at 12pm – 5:15pm
Price:$400
On sale:Thu 7/17 at 3pm ET

Event of interest in Freemont, CA: Join Tesla Motors as they accelerate the world’s transition into electric mobility. Take an insider look into the groundbreaking factory of Tesla Motors and enjoy a scenic drive in a Model S, the world's first premium electric car that sets the standard for 21st century performance.

Go behind closed doors for an exclusive tour of the Tesla Motors factory
Witness the unprecedented range of the Tesla Model S by partaking in a scenic driving experience
Learn about the history, technology, and sustainable energy future of Tesla Motors with a presentation and Q&A
Enjoy a midday lunch on-site at the factory hosted by a Tesla executive
Conclude the day with a thematic gift

Either a morning or afternoon session is offered. Availability is limited. Drivers must have a valid drivers license and be 25 years of age or older to participate.*

Interesting. I always thought the tour could be a money-generated option. This could be a tryout to monitor a price point. Glad I have my tour set up for the end of September!
Bernadette

I received an email from American Express about offerings they have and had a double-take when I noticed this:

Insider Access with Tesla Motors

Where:Tesla Motors Fremont Store, 45500 Fremont Blvd, Freemont, CA
When:9/13 at 8am – 1:15pm or 9/13 at 12pm – 5:15pm
Price:$400
On sale:Thu 7/17 at 3pm ET
Event of interest in Freemont, CA: Join Tesla Motors as they accelerate the world’s transition into electric mobility. Take an insider look into the groundbreaking factory of Tesla Motors and enjoy a scenic drive in a Model S, the world's first premium electric car that sets the standard for 21st century performance.

Go behind closed doors for an exclusive tour of the Tesla Motors factory
Witness the unprecedented range of the Tesla Model S by partaking in a scenic driving experience
Learn about the history, technology, and sustainable energy future of Tesla Motors with a presentation and Q&A
Enjoy a midday lunch on-site at the factory hosted by a Tesla executive
Conclude the day with a thematic gift

Either a morning or afternoon session is offered. Availability is limited. Drivers must have a valid drivers license and be 25 years of age or older to participate.*

Interesting. I always thought the tour could be a money-generated option. This could be a tryout to monitor a price point. Glad I have my tour set up for the end of September!
Bernadette
i have an issue of tesla exec selling his time for lunch to american express or whoever is compensating him or her. i hope tesla looks into that.

Interesting. Are you an Amex elite cardholder or something like that? I have a relatively lowly SPG Amex card and didn't receive such an offer (that I'd definitely take),

It was a platinum American Express offer. Just received it via email this morning. I couldn't copy and paste the picture of the car, but this is a typical weekly email. It's the first time I saw a Tesla offer. Usually, it's tickets for shows.
Just strange to see. I'm sure they're trying this out to see if the tour will entice someone to place a deposit on a car.
Smart move and a moneymaker. Even without a car purchase.

I find it hilarious that they are offering this yet I was unable to use my Amex for my Model X reservation. Only Visa, which I can only assume is due the outrageous fee Amex would take off the top. First time I've been disappointed by Tesla.

You are so right. Who knows. This could be a step toward accepting the card. Luckily, I had another card that I wanted to use to get miles. And I'm glad I could charge any amount.

I found the same problem with being unable to originally use my Amex for the reservation. The workaround turned out to be simple. Make your Amex the card of choice on Paypal and use Paypal to make the reservation!

Exactly what I did and worked like a charm. Paypal must have their service fee negotiated down to a lower percentage than Tesla could manage on their own.

I find it hilarious that they are offering this yet I was unable to use my Amex for my Model X reservation. Only Visa, which I can only assume is due the outrageous fee Amex would take off the top. First time I've been disappointed by Tesla.

<soapbox>
Credit Card Surcharges | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

Unfortunately in many states there are stupid laws that prevent companies from adding credit card surcharges that would fairly represent the actual additional cost burden of the transaction. That, combined with the leaching of margin out of the state is why, although I have a couple of credit cards, I try to avoid them.

To make matters worse there can be hypocrisy in the law as government entities are allowed to impose them.

Title 9-A, §8-509: Credit card and debit card surcharge prohibition

Hypocritical Maine said:
Notwithstanding subsection 1, a governmental entity may impose a surcharge for payments made with a credit card or debit card for taxes, fines, charges, utility fees, regulatory fees, license or permit fees or the provision of a specific service provided by that governmental entity if the surcharge:
A. Is disclosed clearly to the consumer prior to payment; and [2011, c. 427, Pt. A, §15 (NEW).]
B. Does not exceed the costs associated with providing the credit card or debit card service that are directly incurred by the governmental entity or assessed by an authorized 3rd-party payment service provider for a credit card or debit card transaction. If there is not a cost assessed by an authorized 3rd-party payment service provider for a debit card transaction, the governmental entity may not impose a surcharge associated with a debit card transaction. [2011, c. 427, Pt. A, §15 (NEW).]

The fact that they had to include the governmental clause should have been reason enough to make it clear that the law is wrong.
</soapbox>

Last edited:
Interesting. I am supposed to take delivery on the 13th at Fremont and have a tour.

Let us know if your tour somehow breaks away from anyone on the AMEX deal. You might be lucky enough to join the same group. But since it seems that the intent is to get a sale out of the presentation, they may not want to take a chance with an owner joining the group. Enjoy the tour. We go on ours 2 weeks later. Very excited to see what they'll show us.

Bernadette

Last edited: