Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S does not "accelerate". It just... goes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to see if this resonates with any of you.

I've had Mr. T for about three weeks now. It was love at first sight, love even harder at first drive, and love out the wazoo now. There are some little fit and finish things that could be improved over the next few iterations, but none that really bother me. I mean, even Cindy Crawford has a mole. The fundamentals -- the platform -- are amazing.

The best part of Model S performance is that it doesn't feel like performance. It feels effortless. There is a formal definition of acceleration (second derivative of position with respect to time), but when I think of a car "accelerating", I think of the relationship between a jockey and a horse: it's a collaboration, and takes a certain degree of effort from both man and beast. The jockey controls the beast, but it is still a beast. You must communicate with the beast, the beast must yield, and the beast must work very hard to honor your command, if it even can.

The Model S is entirely different. I never "accelerate". I just go where I want to go. If I have to move faster or slower to get there, it just... happens. Immediately. The car feels like an extension of my body and mind. Driving it is as effortless as walking.

Sheer power is certainly part of it, but the real magic of Model S is its immediacy. There is no synchromesh delay, no torque converter delay, just absolutely instant response to the pedal. That's what makes it feel like part of you, rather than like a separate entity that needs to be convinced. It is unlike anything else I've ever driven, and I don't think I could ever go back.

I think it's a good analogy about the jockey. There are a lot of things that go in sync to make your vehicle really go faster in an ICE car, particularly if you're shifting manually. The drive-by-wire instantaneous response of an EV, especially one with the power of a Tesla, really change the entire experience.
I read some of the responses today in the Car and Driver blog regarding the upcoming Model III from Tesla, and one of the commenters said that Tesla was a flash in the pan. A fad that would have run its course in 5 years and would go bankrupt. Posts from new owners like you are proof positive that the paradigm has shifted. That kind of passion is organic, and the more people get to drive Teslas, the more the balance will tip to EV's. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my S :cool:
Cheers!

@flashflood, welcome, and I agree completely. Your post emphasizes why it is so critical that the naysayers actually drive a Model S. Until you drive it, you don't get it. Which is why I practically forced some of my neighbors to get behind the wheel of my S instead of just sitting in the passenger seat while I drive and saying "Yes this is a nice, smooth, comfortable car and gee the touchscreen is cool". But that is not enough to convert them. Once they drive it, they get it.

@flashflood Brilliant description! It is hard to explain to someone who's never driven one, isn't it?

I was telling someone at a car show that I took an out of state road trip one weekend with the fam. My only comparison of the drive was sitting in my living room and reading a good book. Quiet. Little effort needed, but stimulating at the same time.

I was also telling a friend earlier this week that it's a miracle all this technology came together so incredibly well. The touchscreen and whizbang features initially draw people in, but it's the driving experience that hooks them.

If the Model III has the same experience.... they are going to sell A LOT of cars.

Keep on driving!!

-m

@flashflood brilliant description! It is hard to explain to someone who's never driven one, isn't it?

I was telling someone at a car show that i took an out of state road trip one weekend with the fam. My only comparison of the drive was sitting in my living room and reading a good book. Quiet. Little effort needed, but stimulating at the same time.

I was also telling a friend earlier this week that it's a miracle all this technology came together so incredibly well. The touchscreen and whizbang features initially draw people in, but it's the driving experience that hooks them.

If the model iii has the same experience.... They are going to sell a lot of cars.

Keep
-m
"drive it like you stole it"

We call some of the maneuvers that can only be done in a Tesla "teleportation". It's the best way we could think to describe that immediacy when you're moving in and out of traffic. Think it and you're there! I had to drive a rental ICE a few weeks ago while my Tesla was being prettied up, and it felt like I had been stripped of my magic powers.

"drive it like you stole it"

please don't ... (this car was stolen in Los Angeles 2 weeks ago, today ... 1 dead, 7 injured in high-speed pursuit)

article-tesla-0704.jpg

Last edited:
The best part of Model S performance is that it doesn't feel like performance. It feels effortless.

Eloquently put!

And I agree. Pushing the pedal to the metal on my earlier cars never felt right. The noise... Always sounded like he was in pain... Crying.
Now you just push, and push harder if necessary and 'Mr. T' just provides...
Amazing.

And don't get me started on how *fluently* automatics do a 'kick-down' and accelerates... Incredible at the time, horrible when looking back at it today.

We call some of the maneuvers that can only be done in a Tesla "teleportation". It's the best way we could think to describe that immediacy when you're moving in and out of traffic. Think it and you're there! I had to drive a rental ICE a few weeks ago while my Tesla was being prettied up, and it felt like I had been stripped of my magic powers.

Teslaportation! I love it! :D