Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Voltage Battery is Being Replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two weeks ago my 12V battery needed to be replaced. Today, the car would not start and i was getting the "pull over" message. My SC tells me that engineering has detected that my entire high voltage battery (i guess all 7000 batteries) need to be replaced. has anyone else seen this? Is there anything i should be asking/demanding in the repair. Oh woe is me.

Jacob

Not exactly. I had the old 12V replacement issue and when they sent ranger to replace it, he ran diagnostics and said main battery was also showing a fault. So they flat bedded it to Rockville and did battery swap. I was told there was a suspect part, but that they would take battery back to Fremont and test then refurb there. As always, they made service super convenient and pleasant. And my old A battery was replaced with a brand new B, so can't complain.

More than likely they aren't installing old batteries in newer cars. Nobody has reported that on here yet. That just wouldn't make sense. Even IF they put in an old A type the only difference would be a few minute difference in Supercharging. Were they at least responsive when you had the issue? Getting the car picked up and everything? Loaner?

More than likely they aren't installing old batteries in newer cars. Nobody has reported that on here yet. That just wouldn't make sense. Even IF they put in an old A type the only difference would be a few minute difference in Supercharging. Were they at least responsive when you had the issue? Getting the car picked up and everything? Loaner?

Yes, they immediately sent out a flat bed and a S85 loaner. Very responsive.

I just had my hv battery pack replaced last Friday! The issue started with repeated 12v low battery warnings and to said the car cannot be driven. My car had the be shipped out if province , I live in Alberta Canada where there are no vs. the service I received from tesla is second to none. I had some issues and they took care of all the problem. While my tesla was in service, I was given a rental. My battery pack was a b, I am not too sure if a newer pack was installed, however they told me it was new and not refurbished! I still adore my tesla and as long as tesla gives me this kind of service. I'll be a tesla fan for life.

Two weeks ago my 12V battery needed to be replaced. Today, the car would not start and i was getting the "pull over" message. My SC tells me that engineering has detected that my entire high voltage battery (i guess all 7000 batteries) need to be replaced. has anyone else seen this? Is there anything i should be asking/demanding in the repair. Oh woe is me.

Jacob

I had a similar experience last month: 12V battery issue- stranded at Mt Shasta supercharger

Getting stranded kind of sucked, but Tesla customer service was truly exceptional. My understanding of the situation was that the battery cells themselves were fine, but the battery pack also contains circuitry that is required to charge the 12v battery and part of that circuitry is what failed so they had to replace the whole pack. The repair technician said the replacement pack had "all new internal components". Hopefully the new components fix the issue that a number of us appear to have experienced.

It seems from reports of owners that it is not the batteries themselves, but a particular electrical component that fails. I wonder whether Tesla could redesign the battery pack to enable the SC people to gain access to these parts to replace them, rather than having to swap the whole battery pack. Would seem to be more cost effective, especially over the long run.

Tesla issued what amounts to an inspection of the main battery for low VIN and Signature owners...

Mine is at the SC right now and they told me that - depending on what they find, they may need to ship the battery back to have it upgraded.

I will update when I get my car back later today ....

Tesla issued what amounts to an inspection of the main battery for low VIN and Signature owners...

Mine is at the SC right now and they told me that - depending on what they find, they may need to ship the battery back to have it upgraded.

I will update when I get my car back later today ....

Could you find out what constitutes Low VIN? I have 9846 and I have a 60kW A Pack (Though, apparently, the 60 A packs are of the build level of the 85 B packs due to later start in production).

Sounds like a failure of something like the DC-DC converter that converts pack voltage to 12vdc for the car's electrical system. If it quit working the car's electronics would drain the 12V battery...

Is this converter in the pack? I know they do not let the service centers open the pack so it all gets replaced...

Or it might just be a fuse in the pack on a circuit that sends pack voltage to an external DC-DC converter. Again they do not let the service centers open the pack so it would all get replaced even for something as simple as a fuse...

Sounds like a failure of something like the DC-DC converter that converts pack voltage to 12vdc for the car's electrical system. If it quit working the car's electronics would drain the 12V battery...

Is this converter in the pack? I know they do not let the service centers open the pack so it all gets replaced...

Or it might just be a fuse in the pack on a circuit that sends pack voltage to an external DC-DC converter. Again they do not let the service centers open the pack so it would all get replaced even for something as simple as a fuse...

The DC-DC converter is not in the pack.