Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crash: Euro-spec Roadster -vs- VW SUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has kind of accident (SUV or sedan on top) seems to happen quite often for low slung cars like the Roadster.

I wonder how the passengers fared (most important bit) and also how the battery pack did.

Perhaps some more details will come out later. I think this is in Denmark.

A few observations:
Sport tires.
White foam from inside the plastic bumper.
Some fluid on the road that looks like coolant (for the battery pack).
VW only shows a small mark on the rear bumper.

Scary as it is, photos like this always remind me of this Family Guy clip (Language NSFW):
Family Guy Hummer Clip video by blackh3 - Photobucket

Last edited:
I think there was someone/something else involved; perhaps another car or the street furniture but what smashed or removed the rear of the car before it went under the VW?

There may have been something on the right; a brown patch of powder used to soak up spills perhaps?

There are skid marks to the left; perhaps they lead to another vehice, the one overtaking the Tesla that caused the SUV to swerve; total conjecture mind you. Perhaps the '3rd' vehicle rear-ended the Roadster pushing it accross the road into the path of the SUV?

It's comforting to see that the from window frame of the Roadster can support an SUV though and that the passenger space appears to be intact.

Tesla vs Volkswagen
Tesla 0 - Volkswagen 1

Look at the wheels. It might have been a sport model.

3995784846_1efc64c9a9_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
damage

A little bondo and some touch-up paint... and you're as good as new. I find that a little rubbing compound helps get the tire marks off the hood of my car.

You know what makes those SUV's so dangerous... the high center of gravity. The VW got the bad end of that accident, because its center of gravity is even higher now. It might tip over. I wouldn't want to be in that car now!

Last edited:
My "vote" is for: SUV & Roadster were stopped waiting for red light. Third (not in photo) vehicle failed to stop and crashed at high speed into Roadster from behind (obliterating the trunk space), pushed it under the SUV, which (once rear wheels were lifted off the ground) rotated clockwise on its front wheels more than 90 degrees.

At time of photo, third vehicle was already removed, and emergency personnel was waiting for additional tow truck to lift SUV off Roadster.

All speculation mind you ... but plausible.

My "vote" is for: SUV & Roadster were stopped waiting for red light. Third (not in photo) vehicle failed to stop and crashed at high speed into Roadster from behind (obliterating the trunk space), pushed it under the SUV, which (once rear wheels were lifted off the ground) rotated clockwise on its front wheels more than 90 degrees.

At time of photo, third vehicle was already removed, and emergency personnel was waiting for additional tow truck to lift SUV off Roadster.

All speculation mind you ... but plausible.

You've got my vote :)

Will we ever find out?

What happened

I wonder how the passengers fared (most important bit) and also how the battery pack did.

From Tesla v Touran on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Tesla was the innocent party in a 3 car pile-up at some roadworks near our vacation home in Denmark The car that initiated the collision (not shown in this shot) was a, very much shortened, Toyota Avensis. Nobody was seriously hurt, as far as I could tell.