Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pump (some sort of movie)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Elon/Model S on screen @ ~1:48.

Pump is an inspiring, eye-opening documentary that tells the story of America’s addiction to oil, from its corporate conspiracy beginnings to its current monopoly today, and explains clearly and simply how we can end it—and finally win choice at the pump. Today oil is our only option of transportation fuel at the pump. Our exclusive use of it has drained our wallets, increased air pollution and sent our sons and daughters to war in faraway lands. PUMP shows us how through the use of a variety of replacement fuels, we will be able to fill up our cars—cheaper, cleaner and American-made—and in the process, create more jobs for a stronger, healthier economy.

Pump - Movie Trailers - iTunes

Pump (2014) - IMDb

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging from the trailer... is that like judging a book by it's cover?.... anyway, I think I'll like about ~5% of that movie... Biofuels are FUD; they don't scale. Solar PV Scales => EVs scale. Corn-based ethanol was one of the biggest boondoggles in history...

This shows promise but it's too early to tell...
http://www.jouleunlimited.com

Yeah, I'm hoping it's not too focused on other fuels. Hopefully since Elon is actually in it, the movie will focus more on EVs.

I'm in favor of the bigger picture, which is fuel diversification. All of the issues brought up on this thread are true. Corn ethanol is a major boondoggle, and obviously, natural gas has its own political and environmental baggage. Ultimately, electricity is the MOST diverse fuel, because you can make it from just about anything.

I'm in favor of the bigger picture, which is fuel diversification. All of the issues brought up on this thread are true. Corn ethanol is a major boondoggle, and obviously, natural gas has its own political and environmental baggage. Ultimately, electricity is the MOST diverse fuel, because you can make it from just about anything.
Technically, electricity isn't a fuel, it's a "secondary source." But that's good news, because there are lots of ways to make it, including ways that are still doodles on napkins. There's only one way to make gasoline....

Technically, electricity isn't a fuel, it's a "secondary source." But that's good news, because there are lots of ways to make it, including ways that are still doodles on napkins. There's only one way to make gasoline....

So in that sense, it's like hydrogen, which is considered an energy carrier. It's somewhat counter-intuitive that a secondary source would be more efficient that a primary one, but considering the thermal inefficiency of ICE engines (about 20-30%, I believe) it seems to be the case.

When I think about that, it seems that electricity in a battery is stored fuel, and liquified fossil remains are stored fuel. The original source would be solar or geothermal in case of fossils, but it's still stored fuel. And it was stored secondarily in plants and other animals.

Electricity is generally used as it's made. That seems to be the main difference. Putting newly converted energy into storage is different. Using wood for heat, or coal, to make steam to run a piston was using stored energy. The source is still the sun.

So storing the sun's energy in a battery, or using stored energy in a gas car, or storing fossil solar or newly arrived solar as hydrogen-- they're all secondary.

You can rent this on iTunes now for $3.99. Elon has a small interview in this as well. I also learned about the China culture and how the girls look for a male who has a car already. They call BMW - Be My Wife. hahaha.

Edit: I like the first part about the oil industry and how the world is addicted to it and how we need to get off of it, but I don't like how the second part is all about diversifying fuels for the American people and letting them decide. I'm a firm believer in electric transportation tied to solar for our future and so just switching to a different liquid does not help our situation.

Last edited: