Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 wheels bent now.. anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had the tesla for 16 months and in that span, we've had 6 bent wheels (right rear, right rear, then all 4 at once). We own 4 other cars and none of them have had bent wheels in the 7 years we've lived here. Anyone else experiencing bent wheels at all? we have the turbine silver 21" wheels.

I'm not a Model S owner, but the 35 profile tires on the 21" rims don't offer much defense against road hazards. If the 21" wheels are giving you problems, is it possible to switch to the 19" ones? The taller sidewalls should be much more forgiving.

I was in the same boat as you but luckily I had the tire insurance. I had 2 blowouts at the same time at 1AM on I-80 (LF & LR). Had to replace both tires and 1 Rim. Since then I've had 2 more flats and a bent rim. I know the insurance company hated me but I bit the bullet and switched to the 19's.

I have 4 good tires (< 5,000 miles) and 2 Mint Rims and 2 with some Rash if you want them. Send me a private msg.

51k miles on 19" wheels (48k on original goodyears) never had a bent rim or blowout. Your on 21s. That's a very common problem for those 21s because there's such little sidewall you're basically practically driving on the wheel itself. If you hit even a small pothole that rim is bending for sure and tire likely getting flat too. Many many many owners after multiple bent rims and blowouts have switched to 19s. I highly recommend you do the same. Those 21s are for show only and are completely impractical for real world driving unless your pockets $$ are really deep.

15k miles in 16 months with 21s. No damage. I work in RWC, so similar area to the OP. Are your tires kept at 45 lbs or whatever the recommended pressure is? Under-inflated tires will provide less protection.

15 months/16K miles P85+ with 21s...no problems and I have driven over some potholes that I though might cause me an issue..but no.

I purposely did not get the Performance Plus package solely because I didn't want the 21" wheels ... most of my driving is in L.A., potholes are everywhere, and I didn't want such low profile tires ... but 19's look a little small to me, so I got a set of 20's ... I think that's the sweet spot, not too big and not too small ... 255/40-20 in front, and 285/35-20 in back

wheel.JPG

side.JPG

nice wheels flodrab! i think i do need to change to 19's. I do live in RWC but up in the hills and perhaps that has something to do with it, constantly changing grades where wheels will be on different planes such as our driveway vs the road. too bad performance plus wasn't an option in '13 ordering book! Thanks for comments everyone.

21k miles. 2 cracked wheels. Both times I thought I just ran over a nail or something due to the slow leak. Took it in to have it looked at and they found the cracks in the wheel. Luckily I purchased the road hazard protection so they were replaced free of charge. The tires were still fine. We have a lot of potholes here on Oahu and I can mostly avoid them, but sometimes new ones pop up and BAM!

While 35 aspect ratio tires don't provide a lot of protection, I'd be interested to know how many of you who have had damaged wheels check your tire pressures regularly (minimum weekly) and never ever,ever let them go below the vehicle placard pressure. That pressure should really be considered a minimum (not a maximum) for road use.

Bear in mind that if the highs of the day reach 38 (100 F), you need to add 4 psi just to compensate.