Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai executive whines about Tesla, claims Superchargers are government funded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why doesn't Hyundai just build their own million dollar hydro stations........hmm......such a cry baby. Tesla used their own money and worked hard at getting the network out across the US. Hydundai is going down and they know it.

Last edited:
Why doesn't Hyundai just build their own million dollar hydro stations........hmm......such a cry baby. Tesla used their own money and worked hard at getting the network out across the US. Hydundai is going down and they know it.
Hilarious that he whines about "government-funded superchargers" and then says the states need to build the hydrogen fueling infrastructure.

I'm sure this will be picked up by political organizations and media outlets shortly... and then we should see a seekingalpha article... and then it will become "fact"

- - - Updated - - -

and remember that other "government-funded" activities for Hyundai are completely different

http://www.business.ca.gov/Portals/0/CA%20Competes/Docs/Agreements/Hyundai%20Capital%20America.pdf

Hyundai Has Used Its Influence In Alabama To Secure Hundreds of Millions In Incentives - Immigration Reform | Americas Voice

Putting aside the merits of fuel cells, the biggest problem the cars (and therefore the automakers) have is right there in the article:

That said, the big question for Hyundai executives--along with those from Toyota and Honda, who also plan to launch hydrogen-fueled compliance cars--is which entities they believe will see a profit motive in spending the billions of dollars required to establish a nationwide hydrogen fueling network.

Speaking as someone who's been driving pure electric for over three years, I've never found myself completely without a charging opportunity.

The closing paragraphs of that article provide an appropriate perspective, quote:

"That said, the big question for Hyundai executives--along with those from Toyota and Honda, who also plan to launch hydrogen-fueled compliance cars--is which entities they believe will see a profit motive in spending the billions of dollars required to establish a nationwide hydrogen fueling network.

Even O'Brien [of Hyundai] acknowledged that. He concluded his assessment of the state of hydrogen fueling by noting, "For us, the big breakthrough will come when other states start investing in infrastructure."

That sounds like government funding to us."

In fairness and as an aside, 'Hyundai USA' (or whatever) presumably has nothing to do with anything. It's like Sony USA (or other electronics companies). The people working at the Sony Store have delusions that they're some integral part of the design and engineering teams when in fact they're nothing but useless distributors. :D

Wasn't the loan primarily for developing Space X? The fact that they paid to off years early speaks volumes.

No, Tesla Motors and Space Exploration Industries ("SpaceX") are two completely separate companies. Tesla Motors did get a government loan, which was used for fitting out the production line at Fremont and beginning production, and it was then paid back. I'm not aware of SpaceX getting any "loans" (but I don't follow them as closely), but they did get a bunch of R&D contracts from NASA.

I'm not aware of SpaceX getting any "loans" (but I don't follow them as closely), but they did get a bunch of R&D contracts from NASA.

Similarly, I'm not aware of any loans, and I thought the contracts with NASA were for ISS resupply under the Commercial Resupply program (CRS). They're trying to compete for the EELV (Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle) with the Air Force, but having difficulty getting past Senator Shelby's need for pork (my opinion). And, other income is coming in from commercial satellite launches, typically for telecom satellites.

But, I'm just a fan - I could be wrong... ;p