Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing my car (5 minutes later)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I just watched my MS head off on the truck to get a laundry list of problems taken care of... yeah, they left me with a loaner P85, but still... I delayed as long as I could stand on reporting the problems, but when she started telling me she wouldn't charge at home I knew it was time. Barely a month since she arrived. Just felt like sharing, sorry if this is OT, unnecessary, or otherwise unwelcome.

Just wondering, what issues? I've had mine since April, but no real issues except a rattle from the hatch on rough roads and that triangular chrome trim isn't right on one side. I'll get those looked at, eventually. Also maybe the sunroof needs adjustment cuz it shakes a lot when open, but I fear that might be normal.

The worst thing about having a loaner... explaining to someone why you have CA license plates. Have now gone through that twice, man I miss my car (hopefully get her back tomorrow!)

edit: Yes, yes, I know... super 1st world problems. A lot of that is tongue in cheek. If this is the extant of my troubles, I think I am doing pretty great!

Sometimes you just need a place to vent. I understand.

This doesn't sound like venting. You miss YOUR car. It's like a new family member has to go back to the hospital and you're worried.

When they give me a loaner, about all my wife and I can talk about is, "well, this isn't as good as our Model S. I think our interior colors are better. I'm sure glad we got the pano roof and the 85 kWh battery. Now we gotta reset all the seat settings. What's with the line across the hood!?" Of course, ours is better.

It's great being crazy, but we don't notice it hardly at all.

The worst thing about having a loaner... explaining to someone why you have CA license plates. Have now gone through that twice, man I miss my car (hopefully get her back tomorrow!)

Seems like a great opportunity for hijinks. "You see, I'm quitting my job and moving to California to become a movie star, so I went ahead and California plates, because CHP are real sticklers for that kind of thing."

I seem to recall Elon saying that all loaners would be top-of-the line, fully loaded models that you could simply keep and pay for if you liked it better than your own. I wonder what happened to that?

My first loaner was a 60. My next was a normal 85. I wonder what I'll get next? I have a performance too :(

It's alright though, I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun I had with the 60 and 85. Slower 0-60, but the it's the instant torque that is most the fun anyways.

The problem that sent it in was the charger. I surmise that something about the alternator (or whatever the AC->DC conversion circuit is) failed in one of the dual chargers. I plugged it in at home and it would ramp up to about half speed (I have a 100 amp circuit for it) and then pop up the message that it was "Unable to charge". Charging it at the Supercharger still worked, though. So direct DC charging was unaffected. Also, the loaner charges just fine off the home unit, so it's not the charger itself. In other news, they replaced "the charger located under the rear seat" and I'm getting it back today. YAY!

- - - Updated - - -

As for the loaner, it was a P85 blue/black performance seats, dual charger, (no jumpseats), governed at 80, amazingly hilarious "balloon sound" acceleration with 7k miles on it. So they at least matched the model with the loaner. All in all, the experience was very pleasant; I had the feeling it would take longer just because it took 4 days to set up the appointment to get it picked up.