Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla solved Model S quality issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
I'm considering buying Model S and have been reading this forum for a while.

There have been many posts about quality issues (e.g. parts misalignment, pano roof noise and other noise, even many drive train replacements because of noise). Many have stated, that these were early VIN issues, but others say that problems are still not fully resolved.

What do you think?

I think you'll see the best and worst of things on any forum such as this, but it's difficult to form a balanced view. I have a relatively early VIN, and had the creaky pano roof and noisy AC. Panel alignment could be better in places. Generally speaking Tesla have addressed my issues, and are always willing to work on something that i'm not happy with. The service is outstanding. Other threads from guys that take the Model S apart to fit accessories are saying that they're constantly seeing under-the-skin updates to address certain issues. It's been said before that the Model S is the worst production car Tesla will ever make...but it's still, genuinely, amazing. I think the 99/100 that CU gave it is generous, there's many improvements that could be made to the interior to bring it more level with it's peers, but then again, it's a chronic overachiever when it comes to driving dynamics, technology, etc etc. There's still nothing else like it out there, when I reserved 2.5yrs ago I was also considering an A7, but I have no regrets. At all.

If you live life based on waiting for perfection ... you'll be missing out on a lot.

Im a Sig owner and for the few faults I've experienced, I love my S.

If you dig around here, you will find those faults. Of course, if you go to an MB or Audi site, you will find people pointing out the faults of those cars too.

Mine is a fairly early VIN (compared to the VINs being delivered now) and it's had fewer out of the box problems than the 2004 Prius had when it was new. And far fewer than the VW TDI, which never did stop having problems.

Many of the problems noted have been addressed. You can tell by the lack of squeaking pano roof threads and other similar topics. They are still working on some but no car company can make the perfect car every time so no sense in holding out for that. Tesla takes care of their owners. That me means more than getting the perfect car at delivery. Of course we all want that. I have a very early VIN and no big issues. A few smaller ones that have all been addressed.

I have had mine a month now and have had no issues to speak of.. Tesla employees take pride and work toward perfection but we know there is no perfection in life.
The unfortunate accident in LA where the Tesla hit the rear of another car, that car crumbled and the Tesla hood was destroyed. But it looks like the structure absorbed the impact as designed by these guys working towards perfection as it does not look like the Tesla front end gave in, much at all to the impact.
This speaks loudly about the intent and desire to bring us as perfect a vehicle as possible by human beings.

Go buy it!

^^^Yeah. If this is your only hesitation, it's a slam dunk. Get it.
+1

My only regret waiting so dam long! Was trying to hold out until the signature X. Got the S now while I'm still waiting and wish I did it back then. I'm willing to accept imperfections & I know Tesla will resolve them all eventually. They are trying harder than any other car company I've ever have owned that's for dam well sure.

I would say that the minor quality issues are far from over with, having a 33k VIN which was made in March, and already blowing past 9,000 miles I have had my share of small things (and didn't even get the treasured perfect delivery). My first visit to the service center was actually to fix issues with the car that were present at delivery. But I chose to go ahead and drive it home, and they promised to make it right, and they held up their end of the deal.

My second service visit at 9,000 miles was to fix all the minor things I had accumulated over time. I actually originally scheduled this visit at 5k miles, and in about a month put another 4k on the car... Here is the list of everything I have had looked at (although you could say I am just being overly picky... up to you?)

(note: I haven't gotten my car back yet... just handed it to them Friday):
A/C noise - Go find the thread on this one, been a problem since the beginning but they have a fix for it now... I wouldn't expect new cars to have this issue anymore
Back right door handle wouldn't present when pressed (it opens with the rest, you just couldn't use this handle to trigger them all open)
passenger door requires more force to close than the others (note: this is more just a peeve, since I had someone not close the door hard enough and it actually left the car unlocked on me)
Passenger A-Pillar was loose (only cared because the air bag is there)
Got the uncomfortable seat fix - Note new cars definitely are way more comfortable now in the seat department. Plus they have promised a retrofit to current owners in the future.
Lastly, motor noise at low speeds (which they decided to just replace the motor)

Now, don't let all that scare you away, First off, nothing has caused the car to be undrivable or feel unsafe. I have now been to FL and Back and NC and back, and have loved every last mile of driving. I show the car off all the time and talk about it constantly. For their issues Tesla has been AMAZING at servicing the car for me and making good on everything. It is entirely possible you could get a car and have zero issues. But know that if you do, Tesla Service is the best service I have ever had hands down. So know that when you take your car in for service they will certainly take care of you.

Just my honest opinion. Buy the car, you will love it! Remember, no girl is perfect :)

Thanks to you all. I will most likely buy this car (only viable option is Volvo XC90 plug in hybrid Volvo reveals 400-hp twin-charged PHEV power for new XC90 [UPDATE] - Autoblog
which is not yet available and I quess will be pricier). But Tesla not yeat has service here, promised to open it 1Q15). I have to wait till that. It is too long way to take car for fix to Stockholm :biggrin:

Last edited:
I have a pretty early VIN (5,XXX) and although there were a few problems early on (squeaking pano roof, faulty 12v battery) the car is an absolute dream to drive. The only anxiety that I experienced was the time my Model S was in to fix these problems and I had to drive a rental car. At least now there are Model S loaners at the service centers so this problem is also solved. No car is perfect, and Tesla can (and will) definitely improve, but don't do yourself a disservice by waiting.

Hi Matias,

You should probably spend less time reading this forum and more time reading all the glowing consumer reports on the Model S! I can understand why you have come to the conclusion that the S is fault-prone but if you read the industry-wide car reviews, compared to other comparable makes/models, the S is a saint. MW

Call it human nature, but the one day I have an issue, I will come here to report it, or to ask about it. The other ninety-nine days that I am enjoying every minute of the drive - well, I am too busy enjoying it to come here to report my pleasure. This is true for all forums. A much larger proportion of issues are found to be discussed than the proportion of happy customers. Forums will always make it appear that a product has many issues.

Every car has "issues", is that really what's stopping you from getting the car? Minor pano roof noise? lol

The car is an instant buy for me regardless of anything (if i had the money) soon.... but get the dang car!

I've had a pretty good collection of issues with my 25k VIN. Far more stuff than any other car I've purchased, but all of it minor. And not only minor, but dealing with the SC to have the stuff fixed has been extremely pleasant.

So I would say that Tesla's still learning. They got a lot right off-the-bat, and what they didn't they're fixing. There doesn't seem to be too much trying to pass off bugs as features.

I wouldn't be worried. You're likely to have a few issues, but they'll get repaired... and you'll probably be driving a loaner while that happens, so it could be worse.

Gizmo, are you on the service plan or warranty only with this experience? Thanks.

As long as you are under warranty they will treat you like this (at least in my experience). The only time that will cross the line is if you ask for something that would actually fall under service (like tire rotation, breaks, wiper blades, etc) Having given my car over to them twice now, and the first time was within the first 30 days of ownership so I hadn't bought the service plan yet, both times I received the same quality of service.

Some people have actually managed to get some service things for free even without having pre-paid for the service. So for that one, YMMV. But anything as far as a warranty claim they have been really great to all around with minor exception (based on the reports I have seen posted in the forums) and those that were bad situations someone has reached out to either the regional management or up to corporate and permanently fixed the problem. Which really, is the best thing about having everything corporate owned! You can eventually complain all the way up the food chain until you get someone who will make heads roll if you really find yourself in that situation.

Gizmo, are you on the service plan or warranty only with this experience? Thanks.
I have both, but the only thing covered by the service plan I've taken advantage of so far is a tire rotation (and some people have had success in getting this for free either way). Like chickensevil, I didn't have the plan at my first visit either, and the experience was largely the same both ways. So I don't think level of service is tied to having the plan.