Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobileye and Tesla working together?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently this news was from February, but I never saw it posted anywhere, so I am going to put this here:

Mobileye vying to develop driverless car
(behind paywall, use this second link to see the full article... or Google search the headline)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=bMg74Puo8iY9-WuH_11P5Q&bvm=bv.70810081,d.aWw

Mobileye is collaborating with American electric car manufacturer Tesla and is studying systems it is developing in Israel.

If this was posted somewhere already then by all means feel free to kill the thread. I know you can get an aftermarket for Mobileye in the Tesla, but not to add this level of control, so it could be pretty cool to see if Tesla is actually using them to really integrate with their cars to provide this feature.

MobilEye in their filing to go public, listed Tesla as a customer.

Apparently this news was from February, but I never saw it posted anywhere, so I am going to put this here:

Mobileye vying to develop driverless car
(behind paywall, use this second link to see the full article... or Google search the headline)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=bMg74Puo8iY9-WuH_11P5Q&bvm=bv.70810081,d.aWw

If this was posted somewhere already then by all means feel free to kill the thread. I know you can get an aftermarket for Mobileye in the Tesla, but not to add this level of control, so it could be pretty cool to see if Tesla is actually using them to really integrate with their cars to provide this feature.

Well that does appear to be what is also listed here in this article.
Mobileye Looks to Hold Largest-Ever Israeli IPO on NASDAQ - Shalom Life

According to reports issued last month, Mobileye joined in the development of the Tesla Motors’s electrical car that will be able to drive on its own using five cameras, two in the front, one in the back and two on the sides, which will be synchronized with the vehicle’s navigation system.

However another site
Will Tesla's Driverless Car Be Powered By Israel's Mobileye Technology? | Technology News
“We should be able to do 90 percent of miles driven within three years,” said Musk in the same interview with the Financial Times. Musk did not reveal further details of Tesla’s project, but said it was “internal development” rather than technology being supplied by another company.

So someone isn't being totally honest or is attempting to embellish the truth. Either way it might be worth keeping an eye on the movements of mobileye for the time being.

I've been saying this for a while but here's how I see this playing out. Tesla and Mobileye did ink an agreement back in February. I think Tesla will use both Mobileye's autopilot system as well as there own. So imagine there's two systems (one set of cameras but two computer programs analyzing the data) and Tesla combines both sets of analysis into one. Basically Tesla can claim that there system is the best because it uses Mobileye's autopilot and their own as well.

I've been saying this for a while but here's how I see this playing out. Tesla and Mobileye did ink an agreement back in February. I think Tesla will use both Mobileye's autopilot system as well as there own. So imagine there's two systems (one set of cameras but two computer programs analyzing the data) and Tesla combines both sets of analysis into one. Basically Tesla can claim that there system is the best because it uses Mobileye's autopilot and their own as well.

That seems like it would be bad... if you have only two systems and they conflict in their instructions, then which one do you go with? You can't go with a majority rule, system, since there are only two systems.

Also, that is a pretty crappy play on words to suggest that you are building your own in house system but then also be working with another company on their system. He wouldn't be lying to investors, but it also wouldn't be totally honest...

Oh and thanks Dave, I really don't know how I missed this whole thing between Mobileye and Tesla

That seems like it would be bad... if you have only two systems and they conflict in their instructions, then which one do you go with? You can't go with a majority rule, system, since there are only two systems.

Also, that is a pretty crappy play on words to suggest that you are building your own in house system but then also be working with another company on their system. He wouldn't be lying to investors, but it also wouldn't be totally honest...

Oh and thanks Dave, I really don't know how I missed this whole thing between Mobileye and Tesla

Kinda like Cisco eh? They basically buy up other tech companies and then use that tech and package it as theirs.

Alright I did some more research on Mobileye and this is what I found out.

Originally, I was under the impression that Mobileye relied on STMicroelectronics to make the chips that process the images to look for moving objects (and annotate moving objects as geometric shapes that can be quickly interpreted by whatever software program). However, after reading more it looks like Mobileye is doing two main things:
1. They've designed a vision-processor System-On-Chip together with STMicroelectronics, Mobileye and STMicroelectronics Deploy One-Millionth Driver Safety Device . This is the chip inside the camera that processes the images and translates moving objects into geometric shapes. They've released the EyeQ1 and the EyeQ2 chips and they are currently working on the EyeQ3 chip.
2. They've designed software to analyze the output of their EyeQ chips and integrate it into a driver safety system, ie., their Mobileye 560 product

Now a lot of OEMs have integrated Mobileye's EyeQ1 and EyeQ2 chips into their cars to provide for lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, etc. My guess is that Mobileye is providing them with their EyeQ2 chip (probably bundled with a camera) and also is providing some software on top of that as well to integrate into safety features. I also think OEMs can just buy the EyeQ2 chip and then provide their own software to build their own safety systems as well. It's up to the OEMs.

It looks like Mobileye will be releasing their EyeQ3 SoC soon. Here's a very informative article on it: http://can-newsletter.org/uploads/media/raw/5b1ebaa50b50a1e7fa4b6043de56dd5f.pdf

The same article link also shows an eyetracking system Mobileye has developed, which I think Tesla could use as well.

So, my speculation is that Tesla is going to use Mobileye's EyeQ3 chip and camera system, as well as their Eyetracking module as well. Then, rather than relying on the software safety system the Mobileye is building on top of the EyeQ3 chip, Tesla is choosing to build their own software system. So, Tesla's cars will take the data from the EyeQ3 chip/camera system and interpret it, and basically create their own autopilot system.

To oversimplify it, I think Tesla will use Mobileye's hardware (video-processor chip and camera system) but will develop their own software for their auto pilot system.

Thank you for putting for the effort to help look into this further. This does make sense, I suppose, but I still don't necessarily like the wording he used when he has talked about developing it in house. But I guess you would have to get your hardware from somewhere and someone right? So it makes the most sense. And if you are using a camera based system, then really you could get your cameras from anyone right? As long as I get to have an autopilot car I don't care how they do it :)

Will certainly be keeping an eye on this company a bit more.

Thank you for putting for the effort to help look into this further. This does make sense, I suppose, but I still don't necessarily like the wording he used when he has talked about developing it in house. But I guess you would have to get your hardware from somewhere and someone right? So it makes the most sense. And if you are using a camera based system, then really you could get your cameras from anyone right? As long as I get to have an autopilot car I don't care how they do it :)

Will certainly be keeping an eye on this company a bit more.

It looks like Mobileye was planning on an IPO (Car tech company Mobileye files for IPO - Businessweek), but then decided to get private investors for now (Israel’s Mobileye Adds Investors in Potential IPO Prelude - Bloomberg). But we'll likely see an IPO within a year or two (if not sooner).

Regarding the wording of Tesla developing their auto pilot system in-house, I have no problems with it. Even Google's autonomous driving cars use hardware video-processor chips (probably similar to the EyeQ chips) from other companies. But it's really the software that brings the autopilot (and Google's autonomous driving) system to fruition and it's what matters the most. So in my opinion, Tesla (or Google for the matter) can say they're developing their autopilot system in-house because they are developing the most important part (software) in-house.

Alright I did some more research on Mobileye and this is what I found out.

Originally, I was under the impression that Mobileye relied on STMicroelectronics to make the chips that process the images to look for moving objects (and annotate moving objects as geometric shapes that can be quickly interpreted by whatever software program). However, after reading more it looks like Mobileye is doing two main things:
1. They've designed a vision-processor System-On-Chip together with STMicroelectronics, Mobileye and STMicroelectronics Deploy One-Millionth Driver Safety Device . This is the chip inside the camera that processes the images and translates moving objects into geometric shapes. They've released the EyeQ1 and the EyeQ2 chips and they are currently working on the EyeQ3 chip.
2. They've designed software to analyze the output of their EyeQ chips and integrate it into a driver safety system, ie., their Mobileye 560 product

Now a lot of OEMs have integrated Mobileye's EyeQ1 and EyeQ2 chips into their cars to provide for lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, etc. My guess is that Mobileye is providing them with their EyeQ2 chip (probably bundled with a camera) and also is providing some software on top of that as well to integrate into safety features. I also think OEMs can just buy the EyeQ2 chip and then provide their own software to build their own safety systems as well. It's up to the OEMs.

It looks like Mobileye will be releasing their EyeQ3 SoC soon. Here's a very informative article on it: http://can-newsletter.org/uploads/media/raw/5b1ebaa50b50a1e7fa4b6043de56dd5f.pdf

The same article link also shows an eyetracking system Mobileye has developed, which I think Tesla could use as well.

So, my speculation is that Tesla is going to use Mobileye's EyeQ3 chip and camera system, as well as their Eyetracking module as well. Then, rather than relying on the software safety system the Mobileye is building on top of the EyeQ3 chip, Tesla is choosing to build their own software system. So, Tesla's cars will take the data from the EyeQ3 chip/camera system and interpret it, and basically create their own autopilot system.

To oversimplify it, I think Tesla will use Mobileye's hardware (video-processor chip and camera system) but will develop their own software for their auto pilot system.

RE: So, my speculation is that Tesla is going to use Mobileye's EyeQ3 chip and camera system
They said so here: The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua - YouTube

RE: So, my speculation is that Tesla is going to use Mobileye's EyeQ3 chip and camera system
They said so here: The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua - YouTube

Been a while but you seem to have gotten this right ;-) Was researching from a new thread and see that the MS launched with the EyeQ3 chip (EyeQ4 is due out late 2015) versus the new Tegra X1 chip that is launching soon - but EyeQ3 appears optimized for this type of work better.

Someone shared this link on a newer forum: The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua - YouTube