Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(California) SOLAR recommendations LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to install solar. I need a trusted recommendation because I know there's some shady people in the solar industry. Can anyone recommend a company in the Los Angeles area? I looked up Solar City to try to keep it in the Tesla family, but a lot of their reviews on Yelp are less than stellar.

I'm looking to install solar. I need a trusted recommendation because I know there's some shady people in the solar industry. Can anyone recommend a company in the Los Angeles area? I looked up Solar City to try to keep it in the Tesla family, but a lot of their reviews on Yelp are less than stellar.
I went with Empire Solar Solutions in Pasadena. I got quotes from a handful of companies, but Solar City was the worse. They did everything over the internet and they thought my roof was one big roof instead of a first story roof and a second story roof. Joe from Empire came out and did his calculations and gave me a report on what he thought I would be producing over a year and how much I could put on my roof. I have had him come out to replace one of my micro inverters because it went out on me. The only thing I don't like about him is the time it takes to get him to answer my e-mails or phone calls.
I would at least give him a call for a quote. Empire Solar Solutions

I had mine done by Real Goods Solar. They were pretty good, and I have a LONG story on my blog from 2012 (when I had my system installed and PTO was granted). Here are some pictures of the installation. If you do decide to go with Real Goods, let me refer you and we can split the "referral fee" that most Solar companies will give for referrals. I AM happy with the system and did get a good deal.

However, if I had to do it all over (and sort of have, by getting him to bid on and look at solutions for my mom and her Leaf), I would suggest fellow Model S owner (and OC Tesla Group Member) Danny. He's honest and gives good advice. I have not yet gotten him to do any systems for our family as the usage that interested family members had was too low to make any "sense".

So, that's two recommendations.

thanks Dennis! Yes I can help you out and give you honest opinion because there are alot of shady people out there like you mentioned. I've done a couple system for members on this forum and teslamotors.com as well. Shoot me a PM and we can talk.

We installed a 33KW system at my office, and we're very pleased with it. RECSolar supplied the panels and handled the installation. Last month we generated 6,120 KWh, way more than we expected :biggrin:

IMG_3755.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm still looking into this. I have property with plenty of south facing hillside that I can put panels on instead of going the roof route. There's just a few hurdles regarding permitting with the coastal commission so in the mean time while I'm finding out what I need to about that I'm trying to find a reputable dealer/installer. Thanks for the recommendations thus far.