Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with Spare Connector ... Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since our MS is being delivered tomorrow and my dryer plug will be used to charge MS ( Kathy's Car) , #992. (My roadster) will need another plug. I figured I could use the "Spare Connecter". That's the yellow beauty used for household current. I only used it once or twice about three years ago when I got #992 before I had a dryer plug installed. It worked fine then........ But! When I plugged it in this wknd to test it out I got: alert 1063 DMC FW: Line over voltage warning! Charge stopped, Pilot unexpectedly lost. The test light on the plug of the charger was off .... No light.
I got my trusty voltmeter and stuck it into the household plug and it flashed 110 volts. I checked the car to make sure I lowered the amps to 14, or lowest setting, what ever that is since the fuse in the breaker box for the house is a 20 amp breaker.
We'll...... I reset the connector and tried again and after about 20sec it blew again and got the same "over voltage" message.....pilot lost. Used the dryer plug last night with success.
What' do ya think ........ Household current, 20amp breaker, bum Spare Connecter.
Help.......:crying:

So you chopped the end off of the yellow cable and wired in a GFCI 20 amp plug? Actually the 15amp version has the proper prong orientation....... Or so it seems from the picture on the Amazon site. Leviton makes it

Thanks ....... My poor Roadster is going to get hungry in a few days....... I'll give it a try

Last edited:
Thank you all very much!
I remember now in the early days reading that you could not plug a charging cable into a GFCI recepticle without eventual failure. I forgot that and didnt thing it would apply to the plug on the connector but .......I remember guys switching out the plugs too. Guess I will change the plug and see what happens.

Thanks again.

We'll here is a new wrinkle!
I traced the circuit I was plugging into and found a GFI plug on it!
Plugged thy Spare Connector into another circuit and it is working ......... Kinda'
The cooldowm feature on the Tattler doesn't cool the battery.... It runs a low amp range charge that appears to be heating up the battery!! Not behaving at all like it does on 240volts. Works great on 240v ........ Go figure...... No real cooling cycles
........ And the Tattler just stopped talking to me...... Must reboot........ I think 992 is really pis*#d!

By the way our new MS85 is totally awesome and Kathy is considering joining TMC to read the threads!
But..... She controls the 240 plug with an iron hand with threats of retribution and abstinence if I mess with it.
Poor 992 sucking low amps from a low volt source for now...........

Come on Henry!!

Thanks for the offer Rik I appreciate it ..... I think my problem has headed into a parallel universe in which the Spare Connecter really does work............ Kinda'

Plugged thy Spare Connector into another circuit and it is working ......... Kinda'
The cooldowm feature on the Tattler doesn't cool the battery....

Charging on 120v doesn't cool the battery unless it gets really hot. You don't want this solution long-term.

Come on Henry!!

I've got a few more parts and building some this week. Hope your Roadster can wait...

Oh really no pressure...... just humor...... 992 can wait and be very happy with a lower SOC as we all have discussed in numerous threads. I'm sure the EV fairy can steal a few watts from Kathy's MS when needed. Since I have never used the Spare Connector I'm a rookie with this device and learning its limitations is good.

Besides..... With an extra car I plan to start the sound proofing adventure this weekend so probably will not be driving 992 for awhile. Takes mea long time to do projects. You and dhrivnak recommended a weekend for that project. That translates to about a four days for me.