Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alaska Winter.................thanks Josh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently demo'd the MS in Honolulu. Wonderful experience, but a far cry from real Anchorage driving. Josh was kind enough to spend a couple of hours with me. I drove his P85 going so far as pulling it in my garage for charging options. Many thanks for that experience.
So here is the BIG question for real Anchorage owners.............the question that is so far keeping me from pushing the button to order: will I be able to get into my driveway on the upper hillside in icy winter conditions?! Roads are nicely plowed during most hours and my driveway is plowed down to an inch snow depth, BUT, ice accumulates under the snow and my wife's GL450 4Matic occasionally spins a tire...........
BTW...........I plan on Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded winter tires.
As Josh's car showed, I can rocket up here in the good weather.
Thanks,
George

I have the Hakka 7 studded tires. I hear that the Hakka 8's are even better! They have worked great through two Colorado winters. In the nice quiet, electric car, the studs do drive you nuts. I am considering getting the studless Hakkas when these studded ones wear out.

Here is a little video last winter going up my driveway:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that. What a gorgeous area!

I have the Hakka 7 studded tires. I hear that the Hakka 8's are even better! They have worked great through two Colorado winters. In the nice quiet, electric car, the studs do drive you nuts. I am considering getting the studless Hakkas when these studded ones wear out.

Here is a little video last winter going up my driveway:

Welcome to the tesla community! I have the haaka R7's on my MS in the winter. I know it says I live in "seattle" but I live in rural seattle on the he side of a mountain with about 4 feet of snow on the he ground at any one time...anyhow I ascend up a 1000 steep hill with anywhere from 2" to 6" of fresh pow and ice underneath in the he winter daily and even drove up it on packed ice a couple times and the MS sailed up beautifully. I never turnd traction off. Just left it on and never had any issues. The key is all in the best studded tyres!!