Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Drones are coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm bringing my DJI Phantom quadcopter to the event. Hope to get some cool shots of the cars. Not sure if I'll be able to get any footage at the track on Sunday, but fingers crossed...

2014-07-12 19.19.59.jpg

Not to be a killjoy, but according to the new FAA rules, you’ll have to notify the nearby airport (Monterey Regional Airport) since it’s within 5 miles of the hotel:

Here are the numbers you need:

Ownership: Publicly-owned
Owner: MONTEREY PENIN ARPT DIST
200 FRED KANE DR., SUITE 200
MONTEREY, CA 93940
Phone 831-648-7000
Manager: THOMAS E. GREER
200 FRED KANE DR., SUITE 200
MONTEREY, CA 93940
Phone 831-648-7000
OR (831) 333-2321

Control Tower Phone: 831-375-1211
Control Tower Hours: 0700-2100L

The DJI quad-copters are great fun. No fly zone or not, if you are within 5 miles of a public airport, you have to provide prior notification to the airport; from page 6 of FAA - Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft:

Section 336 also prohibits the FAA from promulgating “any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft” if the
following statutory requirements are met:
• when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower … with prior notice of the operation….

The latest DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ provides amazing video and photography options with its 3-axis gyro stabilized camera mount, just like the big boys use on the news helicopters. DJI calls it a "Tripod in the Sky," and that is a pretty good description. Flying one is nothing like flying a helicopter; it's really a 3-D video game within reality. On the other hand, it does take practice and care to operate safely and productively; DJI offers video lessons on their website.

Here are a couple of examples of videos that I have done that show how stable the video from this platform can be:

This was my post #2000!

Last edited by a moderator: