Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Organized outing for Saturday Night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lorih

May 12, 2013
Based on the schedule looks like we are free Saturday night after 5:30 pm. Anyone want want to do a group outing? I am not talking about a group drive because I suspect chargers will be busy all weekend for people that need to charge to get home on Sunday.

I am thinking we could get small group(s) to go out to dinner, or Monterey Bay Aquarium (they can't host formal group event that night, but general admission is open until 8 pm), and there are also local wineries I could call about possible tastings (though I would only organize that if we prearranged designated carpools with designated drivers, or a tour bus, I would hate to be responsible for anyone driving a Tesla rocket on alcohol).

I think this could be a fun opportunity to socialize. If you are interested, let me know what event suits you and if you are bringing your families, and I can help organize. This would not be part of the TMC connect registration, so we will self organize and pay our own expenses (just to be clear).

Anyone game?

Based on the schedule looks like we are free Saturday night after 5:30 pm. Anyone want want to do a group outing? I am not talking about a group drive because I suspect chargers will be busy all weekend for people that need to charge to get home on Sunday.

I am thinking we could get small group(s) to go out to dinner, or Monterey Bay Aquarium (they can't host formal group event that night, but general admission is open until 8 pm), and there are also local wineries I could call about possible tastings (though I would only organize that if we prearranged designated carpools with designated drivers, or a tour bus, I would hate to be responsible for anyone driving a Tesla rocket on alcohol).

I think this could be a fun opportunity to socialize. If you are interested, let me know what event suits you and if you are bringing your families, and I can help organize. This would not be part of the TMC connect registration, so we will self organize and pay our own expenses (just to be clear).

Anyone game?
I, for one, would be interested

Dinner sounds great...we are not that much into wine, but could tag along or be a DD if needed. Not sure what size rental car I'll end up with...won't be Model S...could always drive someone elses :biggrin:

I assumed that conference registration includes meals, but I see that the only meal mentioned is Sunday breakfast. So if dinner is not part of the conference we would be interested in dinner. The beach area by Asilomar is beautiful (Pacific Grove) but I do not recall any restaurants in the area. Perhaps a take out meal on the beach and then watch the sunset? Pacific Grove is only a couple of miles from the hotel.

Klaus, you should be home resting that day. Otherwise you were my ride. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I assumed that conference registration includes meals, but I see that the only meal mentioned is Sunday breakfast. So if dinner is not part of the conference we would be interested in dinner. The beach area by Asilomar is beautiful (Pacific Grove) but I do not recall any restaurants in the area. Perhaps a take out meal on the beach and then watch the sunset? Pacific Grove is only a couple of miles from the hotel.

I love Pacific Grove, and I love the beach. That sounds nice, but cold! I can what restaurant options there are in Pacific Grove.

I went to a conference at Asilomar last September--it is a pretty cool place. They have a dining hall which is run by the state park concessionaire (not spectacular). They offer:

Asilomar State Park State Beach - Crocker Dining Hall - Asilomar.com

"We can customize menus to compliment your personal style or group need. Custom planned menus include our Oceanside Barbecue or Signature Boardwalk Barbecue at the fire pit complete with an after meal S’mores roast. The barbecue is complete with picnic tables and checkered tablecloths."

this would be an interesting option, I am not sure if we have enough people to make it worthwhile. This beach is a great place to be at sunset or for a morning jog.

I went to a conference at Asilomar last September--it is a pretty cool place. They have a dining hall which is run by the state park concessionaire (not spectacular). They offer:

Asilomar State Park State Beach - Crocker Dining Hall - Asilomar.com

"We can customize menus to compliment your personal style or group need. Custom planned menus include our Oceanside Barbecue or Signature Boardwalk Barbecue at the fire pit complete with an after meal S’mores roast. The barbecue is complete with picnic tables and checkered tablecloths."

this would be an interesting option, I am not sure if we have enough people to make it worthwhile. This beach is a great place to be at sunset or for a morning jog.

That is so funny! I was trying to organize a group Silicon Valley TMC event to drive to Asilomar (to stay there for the weekend) in August September time frame, and a ones the planning when I saw that TMC connect was in Monterey this year. they can definitely accommodate groups, not sure about food if you aren't staying over, but I can find out. I don't think they allow Fires on the beach though. (Haven't been there since technical conferences in grads hook, don't remember seeing any fire pits).

- - - Updated - - -

Just called Asilomar. They do sell tickets for dinner only (ie if you aren't staying at conference center), but they need advance reservations, and can only accommodate 20 people for "dinner only tickets".

so, the question is how many coming, and do you want to eat sitting inside, then still to beach, or bring food to Carmel for Bonfire?

The dining room is not that great. I think we could do better with a beach picnic. Asilomar beach seemed uncrowded and must be just a couple of miles from the hotel so I recommend going there. I wonder how many beach chairs I can fit in the frunk?