Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive away without the key!??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was yesterday in my hometown Laholms City Festival(Sweden), which this year had the theme electric vehicles. My newly washed Tesla MSP was on display along with about 10 other vehicles from Nissan, Volvo, BMW and others. Had some doubts before about how the car would look like after 6 hours with thousands of visitors who in varying degrees knew of Tesla and the presence of vehicles without internal combustion engine. They asked, squeezed, felt and test set for all seats in my car. Young, old, men and women. No doubt that the interest was very high.

But already after 10 minutes, I got new doubts. I found myself next to the car with the Tesla Model Car key in my pocket! Only 5 meters in front of the car was an inflated bouncy castle where some 25 children resided. In front of the car were mothers with their babies in conversation with festival visitors. What would happen if some of the test seated individuals would depress the brake pedal and then put D on the gear selector, and then stepping on the gas pedal? 5-10 people would get run over if I stood close enough with the key in his pocket. Since I was not prepared for the question, I could not test until any setting in the car with all the people around me. What do you do in such a situation? Who is responsible if any accident occurs? How to do to stop the car from driving away, perhaps with a child in the drivers seat? Are thre settings that could awoid this?
Today I have checked to see if the car starts, if a person standing outside with the key and a person inside without. The car starts and drives off! :confused::confused:

Leave the UMC plug in the charge port (no actual power needed), the car will not start then.

+1 I do this at car shows every time

- - - Updated - - -

The UMC plugged in adds to the demonstration anyway, so it's sort of a win-win. beyond that, you can yank the battery from the fob. (more foolproof than RF shielding that may, or may not, be perfect)

+1 to this one too, people love to see the cord!!

-m

under the "Controls" menu, on the same page as the E-brake, there is a button labeled: "Power Off" ... (I've never used it, and haven't tried it because I don't like pushing random buttons if I don't know exactly what they do) ... could that solve this problem?

Last edited: