Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors HK - lack of communication?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
The Tesla Motors website was updated today, and thus offline for a while. When it came back, there were still only those 4 test drives at various locations in July in Japan - nothing else for Asia/Pacific for all of July.

According to rumours and what we heard of delivery dates, the first deliveries should be less than 2 weeks away.

Where is the announcement?

Will reservation holders be invited to the event?

Is it true that Elon Musk isn't coming to HK for this event?

Is the moon really made of cheddar cheese?

Upon aerial inspection, nothing unusual was noted at the "rumoured event location":

Kai Tak Ocean Terminal 12-7-2014.JPG

Taking a closer look, certain suspicious red items were just part of white-red plastic road block units:

Kai Tak Ocean Terminal 12-7-2014 - closer look.JPG

Even the Tesla Motors Inc app, which you can find online on www in the iTunes store, still doesn't even show if you have a Hong Kong iTunes account with Apple:

Tesla Motors in iTunes Store.png

Click the link, open in iTunes, and if you have a HK account, it will say "not found". Search for "Tesla Motors Inc" on your iPhone - and nothing shows (for a HK account). Change to a USA, Canadian or various European countries - if you have an account there - and you can get the app.

I know TM can still be considered a startup company if you stretch the term a bit, yet it seems a bit odd there is so little proper communication from TM, and when there is, it is conflicting, changing, unclear.

TM, you can do better than this!

Do we really need to get the information we desire, through rumours, guesswork and reverse engineering of VINs, RNs, sequence numbers and random emails from various TM employees?

I agree. It is amazing that a Tech company is so poor at communication, is there someone responsible for it. I guess Jerome being head of sales is the man, I'm still waiting for an explanation/ solution as to why my delivery is now significantly later.

So frustrating. I just spoke to them in the morning and they called me back in the afternoon to tell me delivery not till mid October. I was livid. I said when did you find this out and why didn't anyone tell me? They said we just found this out. So it's all a coincidence the day I call them is the exact day they found out my delivery is being pushed from July to Oct. Then I told them I want to cancel and they said you forfeit your deposit. Then I lost it. TSLA, what the heck are you doing? It's not when you deliver but how you communicate that date. Never underestimate. Very disappointing. I think I'm gonna check out the i3 this weekend assuming I can get my damn deposit back.

shiadawg,
What is your reservation number? When did you pay the deposit and when did you finalize your order. Did you get your VIN already?

Don't bother going to BMW. They are worse than Tesla in communication.

Last edited:
Actually as both BMW and Mini owner and speaking from experience, they actually delivered more or less around the promised delivery date. Actually for the BMW they managed to deliver about 1 month early!

Having said all that and after almost 3 years of waiting for MS, I couldn't care less if it's 1 or 2 months more, I gave up 1 year ago to try to pin TSLA down for a firm delivery date.

shiadawg,
What is your reservation number? When did you pay the deposit and when did you finalize your order. Did you get your VIN already?

Don't bother going to BMW. They are worse than Tesla in communication.

RN810... I confirmed my order on 3/1. Non Signature. The only message I get on the Dashboard site is: "We have begun sourcing parts for your Model S." Very annoying. At least now the first Signatures are finally arriving. I'm still waiting for a call back from Tesla.

This is getting beyond a joke, it actually worries me about the state of the company. If they cannot appreciate that people who spend $100,000 USD need to be kept up to date then it makes me wonder what else is wrong. And they are squandering huge goodwill in the process. I have friends who are following my experience closely, with an eye to the Model X, and they are now thinking Tesla is a dodgy operation. Goodwill is very difficult to salvage, and using BS or non existent excuses is making it worse.

This is getting beyond a joke, it actually worries me about the state of the company. If they cannot appreciate that people who spend $100,000 USD need to be kept up to date then it makes me wonder what else is wrong. And they are squandering huge goodwill in the process. I have friends who are following my experience closely, with an eye to the Model X, and they are now thinking Tesla is a dodgy operation. Goodwill is very difficult to salvage, and using BS or non existent excuses is making it worse.

My FB friend, who was a reservation holder and with order confirmed, told me that his order had been cancelled by Tesla because he "complaint too much". He did try to call to the US headquarter and contact a VP grade person. To his surprise, that VP said that he was the one the cancel my friend order, because they are too busy handling too many orders and a customer with so many complaints of Tesla should think twice before making reservation.

I do not know what my friend's complains are, fair or not, I do hope that Tesla is really too busy, overloading, rather than too pride of their success and being arrogant her customers.

- - - Updated - - -

RN810... I confirmed my order on 3/1. Non Signature. The only message I get on the Dashboard site is: "We have begun sourcing parts for your Model S." Very annoying. At least now the first Signatures are finally arriving. I'm still waiting for a call back from Tesla.

Hi Shiadawg, do you get the VIN yet? if you do, it will replace the RN number and display at the left bottom corner of the dashboard. thanks!

Exactly!

So sad it has to be like that.

TM, I hope you are reading here - is this really what you want?

Non-action is also action

Exactly!

So sad it has to be like that.

TM, I hope you are reading here - is this really what you want?

Non-action is also action

Sorry, I need to speak up here. Tesla Motors Club (this forum) is independent of Tesla Motors. They may read this forum, but this is not an official channel. If you want to make sure Tesla is hearing your complaints, you need to direct those complaints to Tesla.

Sorry, I need to speak up here. Tesla Motors Club (this forum) is independent of Tesla Motors. They may read this forum, but this is not an official channel. If you want to make sure Tesla is hearing your complaints, you need to direct those complaints to Tesla.

bonnie,I know TMC is not TM, that is why indeed I wrote TM. If anything I wrote could be taken as anything else, then please point it out and I would be happy to correct it.

I know for sure at least one TM HK employee is reading AND writing here, and I would suspect many of the other employees having a peek now and then.

TM HK have had plenty feedback, from myself and others. It's amazing they let it come this far.

The car is amazing, and it's the way forward. Bad customer service from marketing and sales isn't going to stop me getting the car. I'm all for the cause and I wish Tesla Motors all the best - and that just makes it harder to bear that customers are treated like they are. Some public pressure might work better than emailing TM directly, as it seems they keep making the same mistakes. Unless it's a declared goal of TM to make reservation holders and customers upset.

Is it really that hard, that expensive, to keep customers informed? I am not asking for trade secrets, just some more newsletters, what the plans are, what we can expect. Unified information, rather than sporadic and varying "promises" and "estimates" from various seemingly random sources.

I might be a bit too blunt here, but for sure this will impact the image of TM, if they keep going down this path.

Not arguing any of that, DITB - it's just that your remarks were directed AT Tesla Motors (yes, I understood TM to mean that) & you cannot expect that they will get the message on an independent forum. They might, they might not. That was my only point.

You're not the first to complain of Tesla's communication style. I haven't had a problem, personally. But when I've wanted to know, I've just asked. And I know I'm not the norm on this. It's clear to me this is a weak point for the company. Perhaps it hasn't bothered me because I've seen first-hand the crazy hours and complete commitment each person there puts in and I hate to ask for more. That's not an excuse. They still should communicate better. I'm just explaining why perhaps I don't personally ask for more.

River Leung, hard to believe your friends story ...

I met him in a local traffic info facebook sharing group. We had a long and exciting discussion of Model S, features, options, test drives, delivery and etc. In short, we were both excited as the long wait was coming to an end.

But suddenly, after a few days, he told me the story, very shocked at first. But I can't think of any reason that he needed to make it up. He will get the deposit back, but before that, he has made another reservation to queue up again.

I know he also reads this forum very often. My friend, you may speak up if you are reading this.