Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Superchargers for Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the latest supercharger "Coming Soon" map on the Tesla website, there appear to be some changes:

1. The Gainesville marker appears to have moved to the Ocala area.

2. A new dot appeared near Orlando

3. A new dot has appeared West of the PSL SC location.

4. Lake City has been moved from 2014 to "Coming Soon"

Any ideas as to what's up?

Last edited:
Trying to look closely at the map, I think:
  • the Orlando one is somewhere near the I-4/408 junction - maybe Fashion Square Mall?
  • The Ocala one looks like maybe Paddock Mall adjacent to I75
  • Right in the center of Okeechobee
  • Lake City mall?

When you zoom the dot map you have lots of options to speculate about. :wink:
The dots cover a lot of space and I seriously doubt that Tesla has deliberatly precisely placed them over the target location.

We offer some theories on our private discussion group.

Larry

The second dot by Port St. Lucie looks like a Supercharger in the Port St. Lucie Service Area on the Turnpike. That way South Florida to Orlando traffic doesn't have to exit the Turnpike and it relieves some of the demand on the West Port St. Lucie - I95 Supercharger.

Too bad the Keys don't show up on the map. The service manager at Dania Beach told me recently that Marathon Key will get a supercharger before Ft. Laud/Miami area.

Hi Bill,

We can be pretty sure that a dot will show up on the map when a location enters the permitting phase. From Daniel's report we know that Tesla has been scouting the Marathon area for a Supercharger location, although it remains to be seen if the Holiday Inn Express in Marathon will be the selected location. Unfortunately, I could not find an on-line permit search application for the Marathon area to assist us in our research.

Larry

Unfortunately a Marathon SuperCharger won't be much use for Central and North Florida Model S owners unless a MIA/FLL Supercharger is available.

Very true, but being the ever optimist I think that Tesla will have a Miami-Fort Lauderdale Supercharger Station in operation in the not too distant future.

The posting (quoted below) on the official Tesla Motors forum gives some reason for hope. The poster appears to have some insider information.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/superchargers-florida

leoph | May 20 2014
A supercharging station is being pursued and currently under initial discussions in Fort.Lauderdale at the 24hr CVS across the Galleria Mall.

Larry

Very true, but being the ever optimist I think that Tesla will have a Miami-Fort Lauderdale Supercharger Station in operation in the not too distant future.

The posting (quoted below) on the official Tesla Motors forum gives some reason for hope. The poster appears to have some insider information.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/superchargers-florida

Larry

The Galleria Mall is an absolutely horrible location for through traffic. It may look somewhat close to I-95, but it can take an eternity to get there and back at all but the most useless times of day. I hope this is not correct

The Galleria Mall is an absolutely horrible location for through traffic. It may look somewhat close to I-95, but it can take an eternity to get there and back at all but the most useless times of day. I hope this is not correct
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your feedback. I take your point. I guess time will tell if this location is selected.

On the positive side the Galleria is an excellent mall, and Fort Lauderdale in general is a rather strategic location.

Larry

A better location for a Supercharger in Broward would be 'The Shops at Pembroke Gardens' at I-75 and Pines. It's convenient and would serve people traveling through Miami to the Keys via the Turnpike Homestead Extension or going to Miami Airport. It has good connections via the Sawgrass to the Turnpike and I-95 north. It's about 140 miles from the Fort Myers Supercharger and 110 miles from Port St. Lucie Supercharger. Much less congested than anything near I-95.

A better location for a Supercharger in Broward would be 'The Shops at Pembroke Gardens' at I-75 and Pines. It's convenient and would serve people traveling through Miami to the Keys via the Turnpike Homestead Extension or going to Miami Airport. It has good connections via the Sawgrass to the Turnpike and I-95 north. It's about 140 miles from the Fort Myers Supercharger and 110 miles from Port St. Lucie Supercharger. Much less congested than anything near I-95.

Yes, this would be a much, much better location, and is a great (outdoor) mall. However, parking is already a big problem there (although there is plenty of land around it to build a small addition to the parking lot).

As mentioned upthread, Sawgrass Mills is also a great location AND a destination (2nd most visited tourist attraction in Florida - after Disney).

For Florida Keys traffic in particular, the Dolphin Mall would be ideal (154 miles from Key West on the Florida Turnpike).

I completely agree. Here's something that I posted over a year ago:

I was studying the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami dot and wondering if its The Shops at Pembroke Gardens. I've been there and its a very nice town center, with good restaurants and with the ramp to I-75 right across the street. Its close to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, but not imbedded in either downtown area. If that's the Supercharger location that would be an intelligent choice.

Larry

Larry

I don't understand why several of us repeatedly mention Paddock Mall as the likely Ocala location. It's almost a mile from I-75. There are many restaurants and hotels much closer to the interchange. Wouldn't it be more likely (and better) to be at location closer to the interchange? Now that Ocala is now on the map (replacing the Gainesville speculation), it seems anyone with good advice on exact locations to consider should now share them.

I don't understand why several of us repeatedly mention Paddock Mall as the likely Ocala location. It's almost a mile from I-75. There are many restaurants and hotels much closer to the interchange. Wouldn't it be more likely (and better) to be at location closer to the interchange? Now that Ocala is now on the map (replacing the Gainesville speculation), it seems anyone with good advice on exact locations to consider should now share them.

The reason Paddock mall is getting all this attention is probably due to all the parking spaces they have, a big shopping mall can afford to give up a few parking spots and offers more boredom killers than a restaurant or hotel. You are correct that the mall is located pretty far from I-75, but there aren't many alternatives on highway 200 in Ocala. Just my theory