Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to Official Supercharger Map: Archive and Animations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
So, I've been stalking the official supercharger map for a while now and noting subtle changed.

Today's wasn't too subtle... they changes the radius of the circle around chargers and moved around some dots... most noticeable is on the coming soon and other future maps showing the difference between their last change on 2014-06-09 and today. I did an animated gif of the two that makes it easy to see.

comingsoonanimation.gif

The new 2014 map is all over the place... animation of that here:

2014animation.gif

And 2015 is a little different:

2015animation.gif

I only keep track of the USA/North America maps, so, sorry non NA folks.

For those interested, here are the maps I've saved from the teslamotors.com site as I've seen changes. I check daily, usually... should probably script this.

http://vpn.wizkid057.com/nas/supercharger-maps-organized/

If anyone can fill in any gaps or older data, I'd love to have it there.

:)

Very helpful thanks! As I suspected, Gainesville, FL has moved south - likely to Ocala. Disappointed in not having one at a Gainesville/75 exit but I understand if they needed to move it south to provide more range between Lake City and Ocala.

Several changes in western Canada Tesla has talked about are documented here:
1) Hope, BC is now "coming soon" YAY!
2) Tesla emailed me that the Vancouver-Calgary route would "split" the charger at Lake Louise in favour of two-- one in Golden, BC and one in Canmore, AB. That is shown on 2014 map now.
3) Someone here on TMC was recently by a Tesla employee that the Red Deer, AB site has been moved up in priority. That is also reflected in the 2014 map.

Also delighted to see that they are about to start attacking Montana. One near Billings is now "coming soon", so hopefully the others will come before fall.

- - - Updated - - -

Not so good for me that they are deferring Des Moines, IA and the whole I-84 route from Portland, OR to SLC, UT to 2015!

Looks like they are definitely re-evaluating priorities.

Nice, however we haven't seen any significant changes in the actual construction and opening of SC in the East in the last 4-5 months with many permitted sites staying in that status for months. I have noticed that only Macon Ga and Tifton are the only openings since maybe Feb. None of the ones in Fla are even permitted and the rest of the SE US have been on "coming soon" for months. Took a look at the Europe map and while the geographic area is much smaller, it has much more coverage than the US. I wonder what the strategy is, maybe they need to have the infrastructure before increasing the volume of sales in Europe. I doubt that they have a significant proportion of production running around Europe. But also there seems to be more attention to the Western part of the US where probably a slightly higher percent of Teslas live. In summary, unless they start a massive string of construction and openings, the "Coming Soon" will end up in the 2015 list.

New England

Nice, however we haven't seen any significant changes in the actual construction and opening of SC in the East in the last 4-5 months with many permitted sites staying in that status for months.

They did just open the Albany, NY SC within the past few months, which is nice because it helps those of us in northern VT reach the SC network and because my son is starting school at RPI in the fall, so we can run down for a visit and return without having to worry about finding a charge.

So, I've been stalking the official supercharger map for a while now and noting subtle changed.

...they changes the radius of the circle around chargers ...

Interesting... the thing I find odd about that radius change in the first map is that radius changes aren't uniform.

In the "after" pic of the gif animation, the radius of the existing chargers over most of the map seems to be expanding slightly, where as for those in Texas they are contacting a bit.

This isn't just as a result of additional or re-positioned chargers...the circles for static chargers already in services changes as well.

Thanks for taking the time to compile the changes...

Interesting... the thing I find odd about that radius change in the first map is that radius changes aren't uniform.

In the "after" pic of the gif animation, the radius of the existing chargers over most of the map seems to be expanding slightly, where as for those in Texas they are contacting a bit.

This isn't just as a result of additional or re-positioned chargers...the circles for static chargers already in services changes as well.

Yes I noticed that too. Why decrease the projected range of travel from the Texas SCs and increase the travel range from all other SCs?

It's probably just a mistake. As far as I know, the "quality" of the electricity on Texas is the same as that on the rest of the country. ;-)

Or maybe they are correcting an error that was in the old map.

Anyway, exciting to see the changes, and thanks for posting.

Yes I noticed that too. Why decrease the projected range of travel from the Texas SCs and increase the travel range from all other SCs?

It's probably just a mistake. As far as I know, the "quality" of the electricity on Texas is the same as that on the rest of the country. ;-)

Could the decrease in the radius of the TX circles be reflecting that state's higher speed limits?

Maybe it's related to speed limits? We have 70-85 MPH limits on most of the roads within the triangle, so this could be a "real world" adjustment.

Any activity on SCs by Tesla is welcome - it means someone is actually doing something. That's a bit of a relief because it has sure looked like the SC crew was coasting for the last couple of months.

Also, it's clear that some rational thought is being put into SC placement. For example, Texas is going to stop being an island sooner in the new scheme. And the completely stupid and unnecessary Moses Lake, WA SC has been moved to The Dalles, OR where it was actually needed.

I also am unhappy with kicking I84 to the curb, but I90 getting more love - yay!

Last edited:
Maybe it's related to speed limits? We have 70-85 MPH limits on most of the roads within the triangle, so this could be a "real world" adjustment.

See Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While Texas does have some areas with the highest speed limits in the country at 85mph, most of the state is 75. Utah, Nevada, and Wyoming have a limit of 80 throughout the state according to the map on that web page.

So I don't think that explains the decreased range radius lines shown on the latest SC map.

See Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While Texas does have some areas with the highest speed limits in the country at 85mph, most of the state is 75. Utah, Nevada, and Wyoming have a limit of 80 throughout the state according to the map on that web page.

So I don't think that explains the decreased range radius lines shown on the latest SC map.

The changes would seem to be in line with an adjustment being applied to compensate for the projection of the map.