Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla Model S crash in China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
China has seen it's first crash involving a Tesla Model S. The Tesla hit a lampost, then an empty bus. No serious injuries and the Tesla didn't split in half, thank goodness.

tesla-boom-0a.jpg

First Tesla crashes in China | CarNewsChina.com - China Auto News

Last edited:
Well, that didn't take long.

I'm not surprised though, because I don't think most drivers are used to a vehicle with 400+ horsepower going to the rear wheels. I know people who have destroyed much more modestly powered RWD vehicles like the S2000 and BR-Z because they weren't familiar with the handling characteristics.

Well, that didn't take long.

I'm not surprised though, because I don't think most drivers are used to a vehicle with 400+ horsepower going to the rear wheels. I know people who have destroyed much more modestly powered RWD vehicles like the S2000 and BR-Z because they weren't familiar with the handling characteristics.

And add to that the immensely reckless and disrespectful driving culture in China. Just watch some of the endless dash cam videos ...

Check out the comments under that article ... one of them is from famous science fiction author Alan Dean Foster. I know he drives a Model S too because he wrote about it in his blog. If he comments on such an esoteric site he must be pretty active regarding all things Tesla.

I know when I mentioned him in the "celebrities driving Models S" thread I received an anonymous reputation bonus ...

Is it me or does the frequency of accidents involving a Tesla seem very high given there are only 40k or so of them on the roads throughout the world. There must be a correlation to it for something. Like rich people can't drive. Or the ones that can afford it are usually older and they can't see clearly anymore. lol I'm joking but half serious too haha I understand it's a media frenzy which is why we see it in the news slow but still...seems like people can't drive these cars or something or perhaps because it's the safest car in the world it attracts the worst drivers since they'll be counting on its safety to save their lives lol

Is it me or does the frequency of accidents involving a Tesla seem very high given there are only 40k or so of them on the roads throughout the world. There must be a correlation to it for something. Like rich people can't drive. Or the ones that can afford it are usually older and they can't see clearly anymore. lol I'm joking but half serious too haha I understand it's a media frenzy which is why we see it in the news slow but still...seems like people can't drive these cars or something or perhaps because it's the safest car in the world it attracts the worst drivers since they'll be counting on its safety to save their lives lol

As others have mentioned, Driving in China is DANGEROUS. People are crazy, they don't follow the rules. I remember being in a car in Beijing with a customer driving. We were in a four lane road on our 2 lanes were quite congested with traffic, while the other 2 lanes in the opposite direction were zipping along quite fast. We were in the right lane, so my customer turns into the left lane and then begins a slow 5 point Y turn into the lane of opposite traffic.

It's night time, it's smoggy and slight snowfall. There's a giant bus in front of us, so oncoming traffic might not see us jumping into their lane going 50km/hr.

He essentially was blocking 2 to 3 lanes of traffic as he decides to just turn around and go in the other direction. I was having a panic attack as we could have been hit by cars going in both directions and his slow 30 second U turn was about the most dangerous car maneuver you could think of...And he was doing it like it's a Sunday walk in the park...

Somehow I managed not to soil myself while I thought my life was hanging by a thread when this guy decides, "this way is too slow...let me do a 30 second Y turn into oncoming traffic and find another route.."

And that's just one example of me witnessing horrific traffic in China. Traffic signals and stop signs are basically optional. When walking as a pedestrian you need to keep your head on a swivel, you have no idea where the cars might be coming from. If you put your head down and take a look at your phone, you probably end up as roadkill.

Am I surprised there was an accident in China? That's like asking if you've ever eaten french fries when ordering a Big Mac.

There was a car accident in China...In other news, water is still wet and grass is still considered green.