Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used vs New

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With used prices being so high could someone convince me why it makes sense? We'd like to get a model s used (85) but it doesn't seem to make sense to get one used when the price is at minimum $80,000. Built one on the website and it came out to be $92,000 . All we really require of a model s is tech package (would like fog lights and twin chargers but not necessarily needed). Also this would be speculation of course but what do you all think will be the used price of model s after the model x has been released?

Yes, many of the used prices seem to be priced for a premium for not needing to wait for the current lead time on new orders. As the lead time goes up, the used prices go up as well. When comparing the price on a used one, be sure to keep in mind that if you purchased a new build (or inventory car) from Tesla, you would likely get the $7,500 Federal tax credit. Be sure to keep that in mind when comparing used and new purchases.

Me? I'd be doing a new build or trying to find an Inventory car that matched my desires. I did this when purchasing my Nissan Leaf last summer. I went to the dealer, they didn't have the config I wanted, so I ordered a new build from the factory through the dealer. Seven weeks later, I had exactly the configuration that I wanted.

Point of clarification:

Ordered from the website -> new
Ordered from the website -> resold by original owner -> used

Loaner vehicle purchased from Tesla as original owner -> "used"? or do you use another term?

I bought my P85 used with 10k miles from the original owner. This made sense to me for a couple reasons. It was a fully loaded P85 with almost every option. If you build it out to the same spec today, my used price was $25k less than that. Essentially, it let me upgrade from the S85 to the P85 for the same price tag. Also, the original owner never registered it in my state, so I still get my state tax credit (federal one has been used), so that's another $6k. Used might not make sense if you're looking for a S85, especially now with huge demand and deliveries are pushed out 3-4 months. I think it can really save you some money on all of those upgrade packages, though.

Inventory Car = Loaner or Floor model sold as new from Tesla and qualifies for Federal and State incentives

Also the warranty starts the day you take possession, not when it was originally taken into service. The miles driven as a loaner/demo don't count against the warranty period.

I'm very pleased with my inventory car. I saved $20K (including $1K less in sales tax) and got almost exactly the car I would have ordered.

Okay I tried to reply to this once but I believe a moderator deleted it. I appreciate everyones input. I am getting married next month and we are wanting to get a Tesla because we do a ton of driving. I already have a Nissan Leaf (Love it) that I use for my commute to work and back. She will have a longer commute though (minimum 30 miles one way). Even if the Leaf could do it we want something for our once a month road trip that we take to see family. Her family is 150 miles from where I live (she'll be moving in with me once married) and my family is 350 miles away. We've done the trip before in the Leaf to both her families house and my families house so we know it can be (easily) done in a Tesla with heat even. Should we wait a year for used prices to come down? Buy a new one now? On our honeymoon we are going to test drive one if everything works out in Chicago. That's one other thing. We will be living just outside Omaha, NE so will not having a dealer around hurt us? Closest one would be Denver or Chicago both roughly a 8 hour drive. For now we plan on just using her ICE car. Both of our ICE cars have close to 200k miles and are well over 10 years old so the repair costs have been hurting the most. We both spend just enough to keep the wheels turning (quite literally). Mine is a cavalier (speedometer and most gauges inoperative, Headlights weak, bank window busted out by hail), Her's is a Grand-AM (both front and back bumpers have damage, taillight held on by duct-tape, turn signal works but sound from it doesn't turn off).

Okay I tried to reply to this once but I believe a moderator deleted it.

It was stuck in moderation. Certain criteria force some new member posts into moderation (i.e. they can't be seen until approved) as part of our anti-spam measures. Sorry about that but you do get to enjoy a spam-free forum in return.

(I went ahead and deleted the original now as it was made irrelevant by your most recent post)

Last edited:
wcfinvader, I wouldn't let the proximity of a service center bother you. From what I've read Tesla is great about using the ranger service to help out people in remote places. They do what it takes to keep things convenient for you.

In looking at the supercharger maps do you think the Tesla will let you do your longer trips? If so , then if your test drive goes well and you both feel positive about it then I'd go ahead and order one. Do the math carefully to compare your current average per month expenses (including fuel and maintenance!) to what the Tesla would cost you and then see if it feels worth it. If not, wait for the Gen III, but if you fall in love with the car then I bet you'll be able to find a way to make it work.

Regardless of your ultimate decision good luck!

I've looked at plugshare and the 350 mile commute is from Omaha, NE to Jefferson City, MO. There are SEVERAL charging stations in and around Kansas City plus at least 5 Tesla owners in Kansas City that have their home charger listed. Yes I would have to stop there and charge but that's no biggie to me. We'd most likely leave after work (Friday Night) take a nap while it charged in Kansas City then make it to Jeff City. The 150 mile trip should be doable on one charge. I could get her family to install a RV outlet no problem to allow me to charge there. I'd say this much, If I could do it in a leaf then I could for sure do it in a Tesla.

Resurrecting this thread. Based on the D reveal, Topeka Supercharger coming online, and Independence, Missouri in process of getting a Supercharger The wife and I decided on buying a Model S. Used prices have come down considerably due to others selling to get the D as well. We already put down a reservation for a New S85D
19" Michelin Primacy Tire Upgrade
19" Wheels
85 kWh Model S
All Glass Panoramic Roof
Black Textile Seats
Dual Chargers
Dual Motor All Wheel Drive
Piano Black Décor
Rear Facing Seats
Red Multi-Coat Paint
Subzero Weather Package
Supercharger Enabled
Tech Package with Autopilot
Wall Connector
Total Coming in right around $100,000 for the car new. I already put down the $2,500 Reservation fee plus with the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit a used identical would have to be no more than $90,000. I have seen many putting their cars for sale here recently to upgrade and there are even some top of the line cars for sale on the TMC marketplace for right around $80k. I just wanted to get others opinions because it is quite tempting to buy a used top of the line Model S for right around that $80k but at the same time I lose the federal tax credit and my reservation fee by doing that. Yes it's a top of the line car in it's time but it is used nonetheless and would be without the Autopilot and AWD. We could do without the Autopilot and AWD but to us it's not worth only saving ~10k to do so. What you all think? RN913178 BTW

If you are patient and are ready to strike with speed, I think you can get a very nicely optioned P that listed at around $105K for somewhere in the high 60's.
If you can live without Autopilot and AWD, this would be a great way to get a Model S.
I would let my intentions be known to the Tesla store and scour these forums daily.

Your res fee is supposed to be refundable until they start building your car.

Used market prices for Model S are still holding up very well, but they *are* cheaper than (new minus $7500 tax credit) at this point. If you don't care about autopilot or AWD, and aren't very picky about options like color, it may be a good option.

Some comments in the forum conclude that used prices could be better. I have tracked used prices within 200 miles of Seattle since June. Every Model S has been listed for more than a new order. A dealer here yesterday listed a "Used 2014 Tesla Model S Performance," with 225 miles at $111,970. The VIN is 52397, so should have been delivered September. It is the color I want and has all options I want, but I don't think it is the Performance model. After state sales tax the price would be $122,640. That same car was previously listed at Ontario, CA, not as a Performance version, for $105,999. Even at that price, it is less expensive to buy new and get the $7500 rebate too. The equivalent resale price of my P85 configuration, without rebate and before sales tax, would be $96,621.