Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daylight Saving Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish they would just get rid of that outdated system of DST. In modern times it's silly and annoying, for me at least.
Given that DST was recently expanded to save energy (as in "Only the government would think that cutting the top off a blanket and sewing it back on the bottom would make the blanket longer"), maybe the couple of months of "standard time" should just be DST too.

Given that DST was recently expanded to save energy (as in "Only the government would think that cutting the top off a blanket and sewing it back on the bottom would make the blanket longer"), maybe the couple of months of "standard time" should just be DST too.

Trust me, in northern states, that can be really bad. That was done during the oil embargo when I was a kid in Michigan. It was so dark out waiting for the school bus that the McDonald's stores were giving away reflective vests to try to prevent drivers accidentally hitting kids. (If it was foggy out, the kids at my stop would stand on opposite sides of the street pretending they were having a tug-of-war -- they could get almost every car to some to a stop looking for the rope.)

And on that note, let's go back to launching rockets... :smile:

I wish they would just get rid of that outdated system of DST. In modern times it's silly and annoying, for me at least.

Move someplace that doesn't observe DST... I grew up without it, lived in states / countries with it off an on, now back in a place where we don't feel the need to play silly mind tricks with our clocks twice a year...

Move someplace that doesn't observe DST... I grew up without it, lived in states / countries with it off an on, now back in a place where we don't feel the need to play silly mind tricks with our clocks twice a year...

Easy not to observe it when you don't have massive swings in length of day. If they scrapped it here it'd be to have a permanent move to Atlantic Standard Time, but the disadvantage of that would be that it'd be even fecking colder when we left for work on winter mornings.

Easy not to observe it when you don't have massive swings in length of day. If they scrapped it here it'd be to have a permanent move to Atlantic Standard Time, but the disadvantage of that would be that it'd be even fecking colder when we left for work on winter mornings.

Notice I said "move someplace"; I didn't say "change your law where you live today" :wink:

We still have swings in the amount of daylight -- not as much as further north. In winter it gets dark around 5pm, summer around 8pm.

But the real reason AZ rejected DST was that its too hot in summer. The last thing we want is for the sun to stay up later at night -- so we stay on Mountain Standard Time all year (with the exception of the Navajo Nation in NE AZ...)