Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip to UK (Mainland), need charging advise (Roadster)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

would appreciate any information about charging our Roadster in UK. Our holiday trip will start in Germany (July 20th), the route is Aachen (D), Brussels (B), Dunkerk (F) to Dover.
In the UK we´d like to visit London, Hethel :), maybe Scotland, Snowdonia. What is the most common plug for charging EVs in the UK?

Thanks, Frank

Welcome to UK

mennekes type 2 is the most common for 32amps and more (and can now do upto 60 amps on ecotricity charge points see this link >> Charging Tesla Roadster at 60A on AC rapids | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums ) you will also need a (free) RFID card, (check /www.ecotricity.co.uk ) or a source london card.
also check charge point maps .. for charge point and connector type...

my favourites are:
ZeroNet - Zero Carbon World . open source - these charge points usually dont need a card
Map of charging points - Find UK locations - Zap-Map live show a range of different suppliers
Polar Instant Polar / Chargemaster often paid for .. will need an RFID card OR a phone app .. see POLAR Instant

There are 10 dedicated Roadster HPC 70amp chargers, dotted all over UK ... these are on at least the 1st map above ZCW (filter: roadster)

If you have any problems PM me, I'm based on south coast.
have a good trip

Last edited:
Hi Frank,

Do you have a Tesla UMC with a red three pin "commando" connector?

If you do then you'll need a red to blue converter (in the UK "commando" sockets are blue 230V single phase). You'll also need a red to UK ("BS1363") converter. These two will allow you to plug into 'dumb' power sockets that you'll find around the UK. If you have any problems getting these parts then let me know and i'll try and get them for you.

Do you have one of Henry's CAN adaptors and a Type 1 to Type 2 cable?

Do you have a 32A extension cable?

For maps I recommend Open Charge Map because a lot of UK drivers are verifying the data that it contains.

I also recommend ZeroNet charging locations because they are simple and reliable and don't require any cards (normally free to use if you eat/sleep/play/park). All have 32A charging with either "commando" or Type 2 connectors. Some also have 60A or 70A HPC's.

With regards to Ecotriciy rapid chargers don't assume they are working... check here for the current status (~20% offline today).

I drive a lot around the UK and have never had a problem charging. I use ZeroNet locations exclusively and have begun experimenting a little with rapid chargers but don't rely on them because they are often broken or busy.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am planning on taking my Tesla S to UK this summer. Couple of questions:

1. I was wondering about the two cards mentioned most in this thread - Ecotricity and Source London card. Is there any way I can get it from outside UK? For example when I go to Registration Form - For The Road - Ecotricity i see that they accept only UK address. How then would I go about getting the card delivered to NL?

2. Is anybody in a position to share any of these cards?

3. Also I saw the mention of CHAdeMO adapter. Tesla NL tells me that CHAdeMO adapters are not available till end of the year. Isn't this the case or has things changed?

4. Also, what sort of cable do I need for charging the Tesla in UK? I have the included red adapter (3-phase 400V, 16A) and the Type 2 Mennekes. Are they enough? I have duo-loader option but I guess it won't be of much use?

Hi guys,

1. I was wondering about the two cards mentioned most in this thread - Ecotricity and Source London card. Is there any way I can get it from outside UK? For example when I go to Registration Form - For The Road - Ecotricity i see that they accept only UK address. How then would I go about getting the card delivered to NL?

3. Also I saw the mention of CHAdeMO adapter. Tesla NL tells me that CHAdeMO adapters are not available till end of the year. Isn't this the case or has things changed?

4. Also, what sort of cable do I need for charging the Tesla in UK? I have the included red adapter (3-phase 400V, 16A) and the Type 2 Mennekes. Are they enough? I have duo-loader option but I guess it won't be of much use?
As i have planned a summer trip to Cornwall from the Netherlands as well, I have sorted out a few things, but not confirmed by the UK locals.:wink:
My plan is to bring a BS1363 (normal UK plug) converter to Schuko, so I can use the UMC when staying at a B&B. This will be slow charging (max 10-12A) but good enough for the next day I hope. Same for a blue commando plug converted to Schuko.
The ecotricity card should be on its way, but I hope not to use it as the charging locations are mostly at places where I don't want to wait for several hours.:mad:
Obviously I plan to use the supercharger in London also, although I have to make a small detour.
If you would like to have a chat and exchange some info before your trip, PM me.

I believe you can get the cards outside of the UK... try calling them :smile:

The cards are supposedly registered to the car number plate and if you exceed the 2 hour waiting limit at motorway services you'll get a ticket if you're not the registered member. Try and get a card of your own if you can.

afaik no European CHAdeMO adapters are available (some of the US import cars have reportedly been testing in the UK but that's with a different car connector).

Does your red 3 Phase adapter work on single phase ok? Unfortunately you'll find very few red three phase "commando" sockets in the UK just the blue single phase versions.

Type 2 is the standard here so Type 2 to Type 2 cable will allow you to use most public charging.

- - - Updated - - -

As i have planned a summer trip to Cornwall from the Netherlands as well
Cornwall has lots B&Bs, cafes, restaurants, and hotels with Type 2 32A (~7kW) see (here)

ZeroNet_Cornwall_4_July_2014.png

My plan is to bring a BS1363 (normal UK plug) converter to Schuko, so I can use the UMC when staying at a B&B. This will be slow charging (max 10-12A) but good enough for the next day I hope. Same for a blue commando plug converted to Schuko.
That will work fine :smile:

The ecotricity card should be on its way, but I hope not to use it as the charging locations are mostly at places where I don't want to wait for several hours.:mad:
Remember that many rapid charging locations in the UK have 43kW Type 2 AC so you can charge a Model S at ~10kW or ~20kW depending on whether you have one or two chargers in the car.

Remember that many rapid charging locations in the UK have 43kW Type 2 AC so you can charge a Model S at ~10kW or ~20kW depending on whether you have one or two chargers in the car.
Unfortunately I have a single charger only. :frown:
Charging at home at 11kW works fine for me. I hardly ever use one of the public charging stations in NL as I don't like waiting at a location where I don' t want to be... But travelling in the UK is a bit more of a challenge than I expected.:redface:

My travel plan is (roughly):
- AMS to Hook of Holland: Stenna Lines has informed that I can charge on the ferry but given the distance covered, wont be much to charge anyway
- Harwich port to Oxford (stay with friends), so can use UMC as last resort though friend says there is a charging in a closeby Waitrose (no idea what card is accepted!)
- Trips to London and neighbouring areas

Hi guys,

I emailed them both (since calling 0845 numbers are not possible outside UK) and they stated:
- Source London: Need a UK address. They typically check registration against DVLA but made an exception in this case.
- Ecotricity: Choose manual address input and add the address. Typically take 10 working days to send to UK address, so would be more for non-UK