Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miss the rumble of a mighty engine? AM radio to the rescue!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is arguably a bug, but I think it's the coolest thing ever.

(1) Come to a full stop.

(2) Tune your AM radio -- your otherwise worthless, static-filled, analog, crappy AM radio -- to the lowest station number on which you don't get signal. For me it's 530 -- YMMV. Anything in the 530 to 620 kHz range seems to work pretty well.

(3) Crank up the volume.

(4) Crank up the bass.

(5) Floor it!

Love it, love it, love it. It's like someone's spooling up the warp drive.

Curious folks want to know how you discovered this?

Like most discoveries: by accident. I was listening to a real AM station and noticed a faint sound that correlated with speed. It made sense: AM radio is notoriously sensitive to EMI, and the antenna is three feet away from a 300,000 watt AC induction motor. I figured that an unused band would amplify the noise more, and than some bands would pick it up better than others. From there it was just trial and error to locate KTSLA, 530 on your AM dial.

You miss noise? What? Huh? You do?

More like "speechless".

Only optional of course, like I said. Why not, it can't be more than a few kilobytes on the internal memory. No weight or mileage penalty. Just some fun gadget you can play around with. When one reads critical comments about the Model S some people really seem to miss the sound (or are afraid they're going to miss it)

Only optional of course, like I said. Why not, it can't be more than a few kilobytes on the internal memory. No weight or mileage penalty. Just some fun gadget you can play around with. When one reads critical comments about the Model S some people really seem to miss the sound (or are afraid they're going to miss it)

I don't understand this 'miss noise pollution' argument.

I don't understand this 'miss noise pollution' argument.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Of course, I agree completely about road noise, wind noise, random rattles, etc. But there's something magical about the deep, powerful rumble of a V-8 engine.

I wouldn't want to hear the motor (or engine imitation) all the time, but it's fun to hear now and then.

The cool thing about AM 530 is that it's not just a sound effect, it's what your motor really sounds like – you just can't hear it. This might sound corny, but I feel closer to my car having heard its voice.

Gave this a try last night. It worked! Mine worked with 550AM. Of course I did this with no nearby passerbys. Most people don't know Model S is 100% electric. I sure don't want to confuse the people who know Model S is electric or misinform the ones who know nothing of Model S.

It it may be fun to tell friends I downgraded and had an ICE installed. Haha

Yet another conversation starter.

This is arguably a bug, but I think it's the coolest thing ever.

(1) Come to a full stop.

(2) Tune your AM radio -- your otherwise worthless, static-filled, analog, crappy AM radio -- to the lowest station number on which you don't get signal. For me it's 530 -- YMMV. Anything in the 530 to 620 kHz range seems to work pretty well.

(3) Crank up the volume.

(4) Crank up the bass.

(5) Floor it!

Love it, love it, love it. It's like someone's spooling up the warp drive.

Unfortunately I seem to get this on all my AM stations. Going to have them check the antenna next time its in... Was amusing until I found out I couldn't get any AM for traffic updates.

Dialing through AM/FM Radio on the Tesla Model S Touchscreen - TESLARATI.com