Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial Impressions: Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL versus Continental Extreme Contact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was delivered new with the Continental Extreme Contact 21" tires. At the time, the Michelins were not an option. After 14,000 miles, the rear tires required replacement so I had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports installed.

I’m guilty of having done only one rotation of the Conti’s and if I’d been more diligent about rotating them according to Tesla’s recommendations I’m sure I would have gotten at least a few thousand more out of them. But the wear, although a little worse on the inside rears, was relatively even, which suggests that my Model S alignment was good from day one. I also am a fanatic about maintaining tire pressure specs and I always inflate them 1 or 2 pounds higher than spec.

Based on my driving experiences so far, the Michelins are a clearly superior tire. Turn-in is better, general handling improved, road grip superior, and ride comfort enhanced. However, they do appear to produce more road noise (but this may be due to the fact that the tread is unworn.) Another advantage is the the lip over the rim is considerably larger, providing greater protection from curb rash for the rim edge.

My plan going forward is to rotate the Michelins every 3,000 miles. I know this sounds extreme but why not? It’s an easy DIY task and it can only extend the tire life. At $1,100 for a set, this seems to be a good idea:)

BTW, my installer, Jeff Wise at Wise Automotive in Timonium, MD, has been in the business for a few decades. I got a chance to spend a lot of time with him during the installation. He took great care balancing each tire and wheel (about 10 minutes on each). He told me that Michelin tires have had superior quality to every other brand for many years. He also noted that Michelins are closer to perfect roundness than any other tire he’s worked with, and he’s seen them all.

Last edited:
Based on my driving experiences so far, the Michelins are a clearly superior tire. Turn-in is better, general handling improved, road grip superior, and ride comfort enhanced. However, they do appear to produce more road noise (but this may be due to the fact that the tread is unworn.)
Definitely (and wear doesn't help, mine are at 6/32).

I have 22k miles on my rear and still a couple thousand more to go before I need to replace them. No rotating due to the staggered size. Great alternative to the factory ps2 or continental. Noise gets louder with more wear.

My plan going forward is to rotate the Michelins every 3,000 miles. I know this sounds extreme but why not? It’s an easy DIY task and it can only extend the tire life. At $1,100 for a set, this seems to be a good idea:)

You have confirmed my leaning to go with these tires for my round 2, probably next year. Meanwhile, I need to do a rotation, and would like to do it myself. I have a good jack and torque wrench. I am just looking for pointers on positioning the jack safely mid-wheelbase to do the swap. Comments please?

You have confirmed my leaning to go with these tires for my round 2, probably next year. Meanwhile, I need to do a rotation, and would like to do it myself. I have a good jack and torque wrench. I am just looking for pointers on positioning the jack safely mid-wheelbase to do the swap. Comments please?

The jack points are near the front and rear wheel wells -- there's no way to to jack the car mid-wheel base. To lift one side of the car you'll need two jackstands. Jack one end, place the jack stand, then jack the other and place the 2nd jack stand.

That won't work. The MS only has 2 jack points, there's no where to place the jack stand while you have it jacked up. One option is to jack it high enough off the front jack point to where the rear wheel is also off the ground. You could then place a stand under the rear jack point. Not the best solution, the front will only be supported by the floor jack.

I went and got the jack point jack stands:

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

They are pricey at almost $300 for 2 but they work very well, and are well made. They're also made in the US.

That won't work. The MS only has 2 jack points, there's no where to place the jack stand while you have it jacked up. One option is to jack it high enough off the front jack point to where the rear wheel is also off the ground. You could then place a stand under the rear jack point. Not the best solution, the front will only be supported by the floor jack.

I went and got the jack point jack stands:

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

They are pricey at almost $300 for 2 but they work very well, and are well made. They're also made in the US.

What pads/adapters do you use with the stands?